Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I have a large and was-once-valuable collection of antique dolls. I don't want them any more and am looking for the best way to sell them. I don't want to mess with e bay and with this economy, I realize however I get rid of them, I won't get as much for them as I paid. Alot were inherited anyway.

Doll shops used to be popular in the 90's but not so much now. Anybody have any suggestions on how I could get the collection gone or at least culled down quite a bit?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 04:35 PM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
I used a ebay trading assistant to sell my dolls. They do all the work for you and just charge fee. I had about 10 dolls and they were able to sell 8 of them and most went for way more than I thought they would. I haven't used a store here in the triangle (I did this back in Winston-Salem).

Trading Assistant Program on eBay

Old 11-22-2010, 04:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Maybe Grannies Panties? If not, I'm sure they know someone locally who would take them.

http://www.everythingbutgranniespanties.com

Old 11-22-2010, 05:03 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Why not place an ad in doll magazines? Or do some Googling to see if there are any doll shows coming to town. The one below goes to Charlotte... and on that link are names of doll magazines.

If you sell to a dealer, you will probably get half their value, but at least you could probably sell them all at once to one person.

DOLL MAGAZINES

Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I know it can be a hassle to if you haven't done it before, but I would reconsider Ebay. It widens your potential customer based to pretty much the entire world instead of just local buyers.

I sold some Transformer toys five or six years ago on Ebay and wasblown away by the prices I got and and where the bids came from. My childhood toys now reside in places like Switzerland, Spain, and Thailand!

Old 11-22-2010, 05:37 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Yeah, take them to an eBay shop, have them do all the work and they will sell them. You could take them to an auction house but you won't get as much as the people who buy them there will probably just be selling them on eBay themselves. Now with on-line bidding most places they may do a little better.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:41 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
You can also try Craigslist. Look up what they are going for on eBay and lower the price by 20% or so, and see if they sell. You have nothing to lose, as it's free to list. I have sold a lot of things on Craigslist.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Many use Craiglist as sort of a "local eBay", but you would want some idea of what to charge, first. I'd at least look the dolls up on eBay and see what's selling and for what (you can't go by LISTING price, since something could be listed way too high and not be getting bids for that reason). I too have sold some stuff on eBay over the years and gotten amazing prices once in a blue moon for things (though mostly it's an "average" price). Unfortunately the market for what I used to "deal in" has fallen to almost zero.

A woman whom I've known a long time and trust explicitly has her own eBay business, and she will sell things for people on there under her (high-feedback) username and just charge a % commission. She does this for her "job" so I know she has the whole system down. I don't know what the commission is but it's not a whole lot, as I recall (definitely <50%). This may be similar to how those eBay stores do.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:23 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
I am a doll collector, and I will tell you that what I have seen dolls sell for at auction has made me wince! ('cept when I am buying, of course!) I ebay my dolls myself but agree with the pp's that an ebay store is the way to go if you do not want the hassle. It is by far the best way to reach the specialized market you seek. Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 11,974 times
Default how to sell a doll collection

hi i have a huge collection of fashion dolls from my mother that i would like to sell .... i see from a few of the previous posts that an ebay shop is probably the best thing to do. where do i find an ebay shop??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary