Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 AM

809 posts, read 1,861,508 times

Advertisements

Soon all of your favorite songs on the radio will be played via automation with the only interruptions coming from Tide and Miller Lite commercials. no more annoying DiscJockey's keeping that human vibe with you. Not that we needed or wanted the DiscJockey to be unemployed right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:39 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Hmmmmm......I can see a train wreck waiting to happen when this happens.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 AM

319 posts, read 634,273 times
Corporate cutbacks and money saving plans is what is killing live disc jockeys. It's cheaper for a radio conglomerate to record one show and then beam it to all of their corporate stations while only paying one person to sit in the studio and push buttons/flip switches/be there in case there's some sort of power failure. If anything, internet radio is giving disc jockeys a place to go and spin what they want how they want via podcasts without having to deal with FCC regulations and company decision makers.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:45 AM

267 posts, read 1,360,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Soon all of your favorite songs on the radio will be played via automation with the only interruptions coming from Tide and Miller Lite commercials. no more annoying DiscJockey's keeping that human vibe with you. Not that we needed or wanted the DiscJockey to be unemployed right?

Actually its that way now as far as automation goes if one is talking about weekends and after 7pm during the week. Take a city the size of Denver...late at night other than KOA-AM's Rick Barber I have read on the media sites, all the others are automated. Weekends? Most if not all radio station parking lots are empty. And its in bigger markets too like Baltimore and DC..same thing !!! Buffalo which for years was a great radio town..Dittos !! And if stations are automated chances are its voice-tracked which means that dj "voice" one hears is coming from somewhere else and NOT the town where the station is located at and sometimes other things too...imagine my surprise when I heard a few weeks ago a commerical for Virginia Beach's WAVY NBC 10....in DENVER on HOT 107.1 FM !!! Yes I am sure WAVY channel 10, a VIRGINIA TV station has viewers in Colorado oh did I mention hearing an ad for Virginia Beach's Lynnhaven Mall in Denver too? Why? Anyway its all about money and the "big guys" like Clear Channel, Entercom, Citadel and others who want to do more with less...if radio doesn't care about themselves why should anyone else?...and this is coming from someone who had spent 20 years in radio !!!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 27,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Blame corporate radio for that...

To me, the corporate radio jerks were already killing the live radio jocks well before Internet radio was blossoming.

Seriously, there are no real radio DJ's anymore, only "on air personalities" who don't shut up and push a button to the preselected playlist of repetitious garbage that they call "music".

Cousin Bruce Morrow, Rick Dees, Frankie Crocker, and Jocko Herderson and few other notables were the last of the true breed.

If there's any left, I know Hal Jackson of WBLS in NY who still does it "old school" by playing actual music on his Sunday show. Another one is Butter on WDAS in Philadelphia who does a similar show.

Real DJ's today get no respect thanks to corporate radio.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeproud View Post
Corporate cutbacks and money saving plans is what is killing live disc jockeys. It's cheaper for a radio conglomerate to record one show and then beam it to all of their corporate stations while only paying one person to sit in the studio and push buttons/flip switches/be there in case there's some sort of power failure. If anything, internet radio is giving disc jockeys a place to go and spin what they want how they want via podcasts without having to deal with FCC regulations and company decision makers.
I love my Internet Radio and I agree. Internet Radio is not threatening anyone's employment in the radio industry... yet. It may be reducing audiences slightly, but it won't be serious competition for terrestrial or satellite radio until it is widely available in vehicles.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,294 times
I find radio DJs annoying. Mostly because they talk over the beginning and ending of each song. DJs don't have much to do anyway, who really cares what the name of the DJ is? What is it that separates one DJ from another?
I seldom listen to radio because it's the same old stuff, over and over.
College radio stations offer something completely different, and many stream on the internet.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,115 times
Actually the Internet may provide DJ's a lifeline.

If they can build an audience for a show or podcast they could make a living. Marc Germain - who was very successful in the LA Radio market as "MR. KFI" then "Mr. KABC" - is doing this right now. I pay $50/year to listen to Dennis Miller's radio show on the internet.

Over the air broadcast or internet does not matter, if talented radio folks can produce good content they just need to find a way to get people to pay for it - either directly or thru ads - and it get it to those listeners. The internet makes this easier to do.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
In many ways radio has become a dumping grounds for jocks or talk shows that can't make in the real world. Think Limbaugh ,Beck or potty mouth his self Howard Stern.

God! I hate that!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM

267 posts, read 1,360,827 times
Forgot to add another thing earlier...another, though smaller factor that is "killing" the local jock is that a lot of people simple refuse to believe and/or they don't need their information. Weather? The Weather Channel !! Is school closed today? Check the damn net !!! Celebrity news? Unless your name is Ryan Seacrest, you can't really do that either. There was a time when a jock had enough respect where the audence would believe anything the jock would say, even if the jock was giving a line of BS. Today, if a jock would say something like "...I know Brad Pitt !!!" or "..I was in the movie Star Wars....", ya better have a link via Google or IMDB to back you up or or otherwise you could be laughed off the air, even if the info is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio