Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 10:41 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times

Advertisements

KZDC (meant to sound like AC/DC) AM 1250 in San Antonio played Slayer, Prong, Pantera, Canibal Corpse, Anthrax, Gwar, Megadeth, Fear Factory, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Suicidal Tendencies, Bugi, AC/DC, SevenDust, Morbid Angel, Ozzy, Six Feet Under, Sepultura, Napalm Death, BioHazard...among other heavy metal, death metal and thrash acts. I remember calling during the lunch hour show Monday thru Friday and being able to request the most obscure metal songs and the DJ would play them so long as they didn't contain profanity.

The station aired in San Antonio from 1995 to 1998 in a direct response to the FM rock radio stations flipping from hard rock to alternative rock which was very trendy at the time. I remember they would mock the other FM station for playing Alanys Morrisete, Oasis, No Doubt and Hootie and the Blowfish, this same station played Metallica, Pantera and Ozzy the year before.

I use to have their buttons on my backpack in high school. "KZDC ROCKS MAN!!!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 06:53 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
KZDC (meant to sound like AC/DC) AM 1250 in San Antonio played Slayer, Prong, Pantera, Canibal Corpse, Anthrax, Gwar, Megadeth, Fear Factory, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Suicidal Tendencies, Bugi, AC/DC, SevenDust, Morbid Angel, Ozzy, Six Feet Under, Sepultura, Napalm Death, BioHazard...among other heavy metal, death metal and thrash acts. I remember calling during the lunch hour show Monday thru Friday and being able to request the most obscure metal songs and the DJ would play them so long as they didn't contain profanity.

The station aired in San Antonio from 1995 to 1998 in a direct response to the FM rock radio stations flipping from hard rock to alternative rock which was very trendy at the time. I remember they would mock the other FM station for playing Alanys Morrisete, Oasis, No Doubt and Hootie and the Blowfish, this same station played Metallica, Pantera and Ozzy the year before.

I use to have their buttons on my backpack in high school. "KZDC ROCKS MAN!!!!!"
Now that sounds like a great radio station! I like the logo as well. Its a shame they no longer exist. I would check them out for sure! I wonder if there are any samples of them from back then on the internet, I will have to check and see. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2021, 08:24 AM

I remember they played the entire "Great Southern Trendkill" album by Pantera when it was released in 1996 as Pantera was huge in San Antonio at the time.

The sister station was KZEP (for Led Zepplin I suppose) 104.5 FM which was classic rock station in San Antonio for many years. Maybe their parent company has some recordings of KZDC somewhere as I find nothing on the internet.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I remember they played the entire "Great Southern Trendkill" album by Pantera when it was released in 1996 as Pantera was huge in San Antonio at the time.

The sister station was KZEP (for Led Zepplin I suppose) 104.5 FM which was classic rock station in San Antonio for many years. Maybe their parent company has some recordings of KZDC somewhere as I find nothing on the internet.
Yeah I have had no luck finding anything either. Sounded like a great station that played all kinds of metal. That is what we tried to do at a college radio station I was at for many years.

We played everything from classic metal and hard rock to thrash and death and black metal. Not just the popular bands of those genres but the obscure ones as well.

Old 04-15-2022, 11:40 AM

554 posts, read 1,066,153 times
Quote:

I was just trying to remember what that station was, then read your post. They were pretty hardcore, the only draw back being they were AM, and not FM. I arrived in San Antonio in 1995. I remember them playing the Great Southern Trendkill album!

Old 04-16-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowBar View Post
I was just trying to remember what that station was, then read your post. They were pretty hardcore, the only draw back being they were AM, and not FM. I arrived in San Antonio in 1995. I remember them playing the Great Southern Trendkill album!
It sounds like the way a radio station should be. Playing all kinds of metal. Classic, Thrash, Death and Black metal.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
It sounds like the way a radio station should be. Playing all kinds of metal. Classic, Thrash, Death and Black metal.
Totally agree. If a station is dedicated to metal, they should cover all the different sub genres it has to offer. It’s incredibly frustrating when extreme metal (thrash, death, black) is completely ignored in favor of hard rock and traditional metal (which are great as well).

Old 08-23-2022, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Totally agree. If a station is dedicated to metal, they should cover all the different sub genres it has to offer. It’s incredibly frustrating when extreme metal (thrash, death, black) is completely ignored in favor of hard rock and traditional metal (which are great as well).
Agree 100 percent. I like all kinds of different metal. And as much as I like the classic metal and hard rock and even Glam metal and stuff like that. It is so sad that so-called metal stations over the years have ignored or been afraid to play the extreme stuff like Thrash and Black and Death metal.

The only station here in Chicago that was ever close to this was WVVX. A small suburban station that was only on at night. They played a good mix. And had a two hour special show as well one night a week of just the extreme stuff which they would also sprinkle in a bit during the other times

You had to find a college station that might have a show that did that or a part time small radio station. Thank goodness these days there are internet stations that focus mostly on the extreme stuff

Last edited by Robert9; 08-23-2022 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-07-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Thank goodness these days there are internet stations that focus mostly on the extreme stuff
Exactly, or you can create your own playlists on Youtube or my new favorite, Spotify.

Old 01-15-2024, 01:18 PM

967 posts, read 517,163 times
Sure. In big cities, you can usually find radio stations that specialize in just about every genre of music imaginable. Of course, today the disc jockey has been replaced w/ a corporate play list, so that was then, and this is now. College stations still have the freedom to play whatever they wish. As mentioned, internet radio is a savior for good tunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio