Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 03:29 PM

5,600 posts, read 5,060,510 times

Advertisements

Is this band widely used still? If so what areas of USA is it widely used or not used.

I used this back in 1969-1971(when it was quiet) throughout the seventies when it used to be 23 channels with a license required to 40 channels and no license required back in 1975. After this it was too much noise and channels were super crowded.

I also had a SSB/AM Realistic which triples your channel capacity to 120 channels.
AM
Upper side band
Lower side band
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 05:33 PM

6,517 posts, read 7,578,358 times
Do truckers still use CB radio? My dad was a trucker and I used to have fun on his in the 80s.
Breaker 1-9 I need a 10-36!

Old 02-27-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Do truckers still use CB radio? My dad was a trucker and I used to have fun on his in the 80s.
Breaker 1-9 I need a 10-36!
Truckers channel was ch. 17 and ch. 19.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:16 PM

176 posts, read 96,565 times
We had SSB also, in our vehicles and base station at the house.

Did you ever "shoot skip" to intentionally talk to folks hundreds of miles away?

Daddy, and dear friend of mine and I had a post office box for the postcards and notes folks would send to us and we reciprocated so that we all had proof that we talked to someone so far away. I heard a lot of folks did this.

Yeah the FCC actually expected us to log off or refuse to talk to them when it was clouds and nature that was hooking us up with them.

Heck, if they didn't tell you how far away they were, how were you to know?!

It was a good, clean and fun hobby to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Is this band widely used still? If so what areas of USA is it widely used or not used.

I used this back in 1969-1971(when it was quiet) throughout the seventies when it used to be 23 channels with a license required to 40 channels and no license required back in 1975. After this it was too much noise and channels were super crowded.

I also had a SSB/AM Realistic which triples your channel capacity to 120 channels.
AM
Upper side band
Lower side band

Old 03-01-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCinderella View Post
We had SSB also, in our vehicles and base station at the house.

Did you ever "shoot skip" to intentionally talk to folks hundreds of miles away?

Daddy, and dear friend of mine and I had a post office box for the postcards and notes folks would send to us and we reciprocated so that we all had proof that we talked to someone so far away. I heard a lot of folks did this.

Yeah the FCC actually expected us to log off or refuse to talk to them when it was clouds and nature that was hooking us up with them.

Heck, if they didn't tell you how far away they were, how were you to know?!

It was a good, clean and fun hobby to have.
QSL cards? I think there was a 150 mile limit. I heard lots of people shooting skip. CQ CQ DX. But I don't know if there is still that 150 mile range limit because licensing is not required. The prices have sure come down from 30-40 years ago.
I remember the popular brands most popular was the Cobra. Then there was Realistic, PACE, Johnson-very expensive, Royce, Kraco-cheap brand, Midland, Lafayette. I remember the tube sets that had to warm up. The popular base antennas were Super Penetrator, Sigma 5/8, Moonraker beam antenna, PDL-2 beam antenna, Astro Plane, Starduster, 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave and 5/8 wave omni directional ground plane base antennas. I remember the brand Cushcraft and the Big Stik which did not work that well.
Best mobil antenna was the K-40.

Old 03-01-2021, 03:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
In the 70s I would sit in my pickup and chat with people in other states on my CB in the evening. It turned out to be quite handy when my wife and I went on road trips, listening to the truckers for tips like "smokey at milepost 132."

I still have on in it's storage box, that plugs in to the 12v receptacle and has a magnetic antenna for the roof. We last used it in 1982 when caravanning with another vehicle. It's really not needed now with GPS navigation with real-time traffic warnings in both of our vehicles, plus iPhones.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In the 70s I would sit in my pickup and chat with people in other states on my CB in the evening. It turned out to be quite handy when my wife and I went on road trips, listening to the truckers for tips like "smokey at milepost 132."

I still have on in it's storage box, that plugs in to the 12v receptacle and has a magnetic antenna for the roof. We last used it in 1982 when caravanning with another vehicle. It's really not needed now with GPS navigation with real-time traffic warnings in both of our vehicles, plus iPhones.
It would still be more like an hobby for today. It's still the same old hook up like a K-40 magnet mount and long whip antenna. I still have mine.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:51 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,861,511 times
Around here it is hardly used. Even the truckers have moved away from it.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Around here it is hardly used. Even the truckers have moved away from it.
Where are you located?

Old 03-13-2021, 06:40 PM

176 posts, read 96,565 times
Sorry, just thought to check this part of this vast forum.

We had a 5/8's wave Hygain Penetrator, telescopic antenna. It actually could go 60 ft. high when the legal limit was 40ft. high. It got out, that's for sure.

Our mic was the Cobra stand one that was so popular. Mine was the standard silver, but I did make friends with a couple that owned a type of oil-service company and their mic was Cobra gold plated, oohhhh I sure admired that thing, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
QSL cards? I think there was a 150 mile limit. I heard lots of people shooting skip. CQ CQ DX. But I don't know if there is still that 150 mile range limit because licensing is not required. The prices have sure come down from 30-40 years ago.
I remember the popular brands most popular was the Cobra. Then there was Realistic, PACE, Johnson-very expensive, Royce, Kraco-cheap brand, Midland, Lafayette. I remember the tube sets that had to warm up. The popular base antennas were Super Penetrator, Sigma 5/8, Moonraker beam antenna, PDL-2 beam antenna, Astro Plane, Starduster, 1/4 wave, 1/2 wave and 5/8 wave omni directional ground plane base antennas. I remember the brand Cushcraft and the Big Stik which did not work that well.
Best mobil antenna was the K-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio