Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:28 PM

5,167 posts, read 4,939,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana Daz View Post
Not to be a stickler, but sailboats only have "the right of way" when under sail. If the engine is on they're considered power driven vessels and the "rules of the road" determine stand on vs. give way status.

Daz
(USCG 50t Master)
I had seen that and was going to comment but I wasn't sure if a vessel (sailboat under power) constrained by its draft had rights over other powerboats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM

190 posts, read 258,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I had seen that and was going to comment but I wasn't sure if a vessel (sailboat under power) constrained by its draft had rights over other powerboats.
It doesn't. "Constrained By Draft" only applies under the International ColRegs. There is no CBD exception under Inland rules.

Old 08-31-2017, 03:50 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
Picky picky picky .

Law or not, especially "inland", common courtesy is to give deeper draft vessels as much room as you safely can. My point was when two deep draft vessels meet in a narrow channel, someone (hopefully both) have to give a bit...and in some cases one might end up in a little less than 5'.

Also, I've seen many sailboats with the jib up in the channels. They are usually under power also, but you can't really tell until you pass.

Anyone familiar with Lewe's canal: after exiting the mangroves on the way out, that first tight left turn towards the beach complex....how much water is usually there? I've seen between 2 and 8 ft...? Sound about right?

Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarborRat View Post
Anyone familiar with Lewe's canal: after exiting the mangroves on the way out, that first tight left turn towards the beach complex....how much water is usually there? I've seen between 2 and 8 ft...? Sound about right?
Yes, VERY familiar with Alligator Bay and the 6 canals exiting that small area. Can be tricky until you get the hang of it. Back when we had our 36ft cruiser and lived on W. Spring Lake I thought I was coming in perfect (too confident to use the GPS, lol). Apparently I was about 30ft off and one of my Bravo2 drives found a homemade crab pot. No damage thankfully, but limped 1 mile home on one engine so I could pull the bird nest of chicken wire & rebar off from the prop. Gotta be careful there. Great area but it can go from 8ft to 2ft in a QUICK hurry! Luckily it's all soft bottom, so at worst you might suck up some muck. Flush flush flush when you get home. "If you ain't run aground, you ain't been around"

Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Living on the Ackerman, that is my only way out to open water. I've never noted an issue there as long as I stayed within the channel boundaries but was on a neighbor's boat once that lost power and drifted out and almost immediately went aground in about 2 feet of water. I have my depth alarm set at 3' on my FF and don't remember it ever going off there.
The area of concern I would have is while you're still in the mangroves where the channel does a zig-zag (I don't know the channel marker numbers). That area is prone to shoaling and even though it was dredged a few years ago (two, I think) there is still shallow areas even within the channel markers.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 AM

207 posts, read 260,388 times
How long would it take to get from a house on Aviation Ct. to the open water in Alligator Bay? I assume it is all no wake thru Lewes or Lewis Creek. Thanx

Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,024,707 times
I'd say about 20 minutes at no wake speed, give or take...

Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
How long would it take to get from a house on Aviation Ct. to the open water in Alligator Bay? I assume it is all no wake thru Lewes or Lewis Creek. Thanx
Quote:
I'd say about 20 minutes at no wake speed, give or take...
I'd say HarborRat is right on. Living near the far end of the Ackerman canal, it takes me about 20 minutes total to get to open water; 10 minutes to the Midway bridge and another 10 minutes through Lewis Creek (the mangroves). Aviation Ct. might be about a third of a mile less distance to travel.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:22 PM

3,179 posts, read 5,999,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
15 mins

Old 11-19-2023, 08:10 AM

149 posts, read 259,628 times
15-20 minutes out to open water is not too bad.

Is canal depth about 5 feet on Arapahoe, Ayrshire canals by the Manchester Waterway?

It seems like a beautiful neighborhood to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte