Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM

493 posts, read 636,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
Now I need a bigger boat!
Gary, just because we both have 37' aft cabins and 13' super dinghy's doesn't mean we have to have the same size center console's too. This isn't a competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc691 View Post
Besides the dock width restriction, there's a restriction on how far out your lift can be. My neighbor installed a wider lift, and had to have a foot cut off his dock to make it.
I know I'm going to need to check into all of the restrictions and I think Gary is right about the canal width being a factor. I'll probably get on the phone Monday and get rolling on this. I really don't like the look of the concrete docks but I don't have a choice. Has anyone gotten creative with their dock surface? I wonder what they allow you to do as far as covering the surface with other materials. Mark

Old 12-22-2013, 05:20 AM

1,917 posts, read 2,630,654 times
Mark

You can do something like this with Ipe wood on the pilings and have the dock surface stained.

http://garlandmarine.com/wp-content/...7/ipe-dock.jpg

Gary

Old 12-22-2013, 06:06 AM

180 posts, read 450,439 times
Default City Code

I would suggest that anyone who REALLY wants to know what the rules are concerning docks, should go to the city website and read Section 6-6 (Construction in the waterway) of the city code.

It will just take you a few minutes and it will remove most of the guessing about the process. After that, if you have any questions concerning the rules, I'm sure the people in the city of PG building department can provide further clarification. I called them a couple of times prior to having my house built and they were very nice and helpful.

I'm pretty sure they won't allow you to alter the appearance of your concrete dock but they'll know...... and be glad to tell you!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
I could give you a really good idea of what it will cost but.
But you won't! Is that wat you are saying?

Gary

Old 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I would suggest that anyone who REALLY wants to know what the rules are concerning docks, should go to the city website and read Section 6-6 (Construction in the waterway) of the city code.

It will just take you a few minutes and it will remove most of the guessing about the process. After that, if you have any questions concerning the rules, I'm sure the people in the city of PG building department can provide further clarification. I called them a couple of times prior to having my house built and they were very nice and helpful.

I'm pretty sure they won't allow you to alter the appearance of your concrete dock but they'll know...... and be glad to tell you!
Chucky, I was on the city website last night but not sure if I read section 6-6 I'll look that up, thanks. I plan on eventually taking a copy of my survey to the city to go over it with them. Also I'm sure that the dock builders have a lot of experience and recommendations for layout so I'll be talking to them too. If anyone has any advice on layout of dock/ lift orientation that I should consider or avoid I'd appreciate it. Mark

Old 12-22-2013, 08:58 AM

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyGras View Post
But you won't! Is that wat you are saying?

Gary
If you printed my entire quote and thought about it, you'd probably understand what I was saying.... you left out "you'll be better served by getting 2 or 3 quotes". The reason that's important is because there are a bunch of variables and each one involves money.

I'm not in the business and am certainly no expert. As I mentioned earlier, I have a dock and am going to put in another one. That's the only reason I know anything about it. A worthwhile 'ball park' figure would have to take into account a number of features. If you don't care about that, I'll be happy to give you a number.

$10,000-$20,000 would cover most dock/boat lift combinations in PGI. There are lots of price differences in docks, primarily because of the size....but there are other factors. It's the same story with boat lifts because some will only lift about 7500 pounds and others will lift up to 250,000 pounds. Also, there are different configurations and types.....with varying prices for each. I'm certain there are some set-ups in PGI that cost $100,000.

If I'm an expert, now we're all experts!

Last edited by chuckycheese; 12-22-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Ray Mark View Post
Chucky, I was on the city website last night but not sure if I read section 6-6 I'll look that up, thanks. I plan on eventually taking a copy of my survey to the city to go over it with them. Also I'm sure that the dock builders have a lot of experience and recommendations for layout so I'll be talking to them too. If anyone has any advice on layout of dock/ lift orientation that I should consider or avoid I'd appreciate it. Mark
You're welcome! When you get some quotes, they'll have a really good idea of what you need, based on what you tell them and how your property is laid out. I think you'll also find that most of the things they suggest will be really similar. The builders are bound by the rules set forth by the city but they're not complicated, at all.....and the builders are very familiar with them or they wouldn't be in business very long.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
If you printed my entire quote and thought about it, you'd probably understand what I was saying.... you left out "you'll be better served by getting 2 or 3 quotes". The reason that's important is because there are a bunch of variables and each one involves money.

I'm not in the business and am certainly no expert. As I mentioned earlier, I have a dock and am going to put in another one. That's the only reason I know anything about it. A worthwhile 'ball park' figure would have to take into account a number of features. If you don't care about that, I'll be happy to give you a number.

$10,000-$20,000 would cover most dock/boat lift combinations in PGI. There are lots of price differences in docks, primarily because of the size....but there are other factors. It's the same story with boat lifts because some will only lift about 7500 pounds and others will lift up to 250,000 pounds. Also, there are different configurations and types.....with varying prices for each. I'm certain there are some set-ups in PGI that cost $100,000.

If I'm an expert, now we're all experts!
Thank you

Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,786,141 times
when I had my dock and lift done the county said the dock could be 10 percent of the canal width the lift counting the dock could be 25 percent and the dock or lift had to be 7 feet from the property line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte