Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 06:03 PM

78,675 posts, read 60,878,962 times

Advertisements

Maybe reading. I grew up in a small town pre-internet, pre-computer and going to the local library and getting books to read was a HUGE deal for me. I was at college level reading by around 4th grade.

My 2 favorite parts of the mall were the arcade and the discount book rack at the barnes and noble or whatever version of it was at the place.

I would like to thank the Carnegie foundation for spreading education throughout the US. Frankly, one of the best private foundations of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 03:20 PM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Weather maps and forecasts.
I liked those, too, but I also used to look at the "almanac" in our paper to check sunset and sunrise times and moon phases.

Now I can do it on the Internet.

Old 05-11-2024, 10:05 AM

189 posts, read 59,991 times
Baseball cards and baseball statistics, bottle caps, garden toads, catching minnows and turtles in my minnow net, my orange Baltimore Orioles shirt, Lemonheads candy, avoiding bullies.

Old 05-11-2024, 03:19 PM

10,189 posts, read 1,040,078 times
Russia dropping an atomic bomb on New York City

Old 05-11-2024, 08:46 PM

28,976 posts, read 30,358,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Russia dropping an atomic bomb on New York City
When I was young, we had air raid drills. A shrilling whistle/alarm went off which could be heard all around town, and it was in itself very scary. The teacher would draw the blinds, turn off the lights, and we'd all huddle underneath our desks...and we finally started putting two and two together and realized, if there were a bomb dropped, the huddling under the desk would be futile....and we'd be doomed for eternity....which was even more frightening. I did obsess about that...for a long time.

Another obsession was my fear or tornadoes....so much so, I would dream about them, all throughout my childhood, and even later in life, when I was married. They were those so real type of dreams and you'd wake up from the sheer fright of the dream....I never watched the Wizard of Oz again. lol and now, wouldn't you know, I have moved to an area that is in Tornado Alley.

One of my Tornado Dreams took me to the present, while I was married and lived in an area where they just didn't happen. I shared my silly dream with a neighbor, telling her I saw the tornado move across the lake so we ran under the crawl space...while is took down the huge tree in the back yard.

after I moved home, don't you know she called me and told me, my dream came true. "What Dream" I asked. "Your tornado dream" she replied explaining that a tornado came across the lake and broke the tree in half which fell on our fence?????? Yikes

Old 05-12-2024, 10:00 AM

26,039 posts, read 22,236,237 times
I don't remember "obsessing" about anything as a child, as I was just too busy being a kid, and taking it all in. Luckily, we didn't have a television until I was 5 years old, so we learned to entertain ourselves in a number of different ways. Decades later, I still don't "obsess" about anything. "Variety is the spice of life."

Old 05-12-2024, 03:32 PM

28,976 posts, read 30,358,282 times
Obsession is a constant idea, a preoccupation with an unreasonable thought or feeling that can be a desire, feeling, idea or an image....

some children never have obsessions, most here who commented did not have an obsession, what you had was a fondness for horses, baseball, baseball cards, collecting china horses....but that isn't an obsession...
in my case I had several obsessions/fears, of tornados...fear of an atomic bomb, of which I outgrew, or managed to overcome on my own....

My fondness of horses I believe was more of a passion, but not an obsession....but I will admit, I wanted a horse so badly when I was little sometimes remember crying....while watching Fury or horse stories.

I believe obsession can be in a mild forms, or more like OCD, constantly washing your hands, or even worse, thoughts about something that a child cannot stop thinking about...or fearing...

We all as children, had hobbies, things we collected, games we played, a strong fondness for cars, football, baseball, etc....but those were not obsessions...

as for me, I believe the fear of tornados was a mild obsession, that I eventually outgrew as an adult, but the movie did scare me...a lot as well as other spooky movies...I didn't think about tornados all the time...of course, but, it was a fear as a child. goes to show you how impressionable children are, and what we don't find frightening, to a child, it might be different.

Thoughts?

Old 05-12-2024, 06:36 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,806,218 times
Outdoor/Hunting magazines. Hasn’t changed much at 75 years of age.

Old 05-13-2024, 10:42 PM

2,955 posts, read 2,908,062 times
So we had this hole and we'd spend ALL day digging it deeper.

Countless hours, years of my childhood spent on willful labor.

This generation will never know the absolute boredom needed to spend Saturday morning digging a hole...just because

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM

723 posts, read 432,259 times
Definitely about videogames. Good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology