Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 11:08 PM

867 posts, read 456,506 times

Advertisements

How come you wrote that last part about society treating attractive people differently?[/quote]

How come you think ? What you think they don't treat a good looking person differently, you must be blind or naive thinking not.
They do alright, it isn't fair butttt, people will be people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 08:17 AM

134 posts, read 49,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The type of person who refers to someone as ugly (whether they are attractive or not) is taken seriously in that they’re perceived as having psychological issues of their own. A good example: folks taking the time to follow/harass attractive women in social media. Obviously, if they were attractive (or happy) themselves, they’d have better things to do with their time - not to mention they wouldn’t derive pleasure from attempting to hurt others.

We make judgements relative to all social behavior/attraction. One who gloats will not be perceived favorably by most either; however, that’s different than simply acknowledging it or appreciating a compliment.
This type of person is extremely common, if not the majority, yet it sounds like you're undermining the prevalence of envy and jealousy in human beings. Let's not kid ourselves into pretending that society is wholly earnest 100% of the time. We're definitely prone to errors in judgement as well.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:33 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godrestores View Post
This type of person is extremely common, if not the majority, yet it sounds like you're undermining the prevalence of envy and jealousy in human beings. Let's not kid ourselves into pretending that society is wholly earnest 100% of the time. We're definitely prone to errors in judgement as well.
I’m not undermining its prevalence; in fact, I’m calling it out (relative to negative behavior). That said, there is a difference between one who feels jealous (or any other human emotion) vs. acting on such.

Old 04-15-2024, 08:46 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
The type of person who refers to someone as ugly (whether they are attractive or not) is taken seriously in that they’re perceived as having psychological issues of their own. A good example: folks taking the time to follow/harass attractive women in social media. Obviously, if they were attractive (or happy) themselves, they’d have better things to do with their time - not to mention they wouldn’t derive pleasure from attempting to hurt others.

We make judgements relative to all social behavior/attraction. One who gloats will not be perceived favorably by most either; however, that’s different than simply acknowledging it or appreciating a compliment.
Yeah, I noticed that... Usually, the people making fun of attractive people on social media are pretty homely themselves lol..

Old 04-16-2024, 03:20 PM

48 posts, read 29,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Yours and Gabors posts are surprising to me.

I don't remember anyone not liking the handsome guys who were nice. Now the jerks, yes.
The guy in my graduating class who was voted most likely to succeed was a football player, tall, handsome, 3rd in the class and it seemed like everyone liked him. I didn't know him well, but he seemed nice and I never heard anything bad about him.

Now maybe I was just in different types of circles. Us nerds weren't trying to compete with them.
My point was this:

It's not a matter of "not liking" or labeling...but more subtle.Just a few words or phrases a casual acquaintance would utter....their underlying envy, jealousy and insecurity about their own image and physical features were telegraphed....

Last edited by Gabor25; 04-16-2024 at 03:29 PM..

Old 04-16-2024, 08:19 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor25 View Post
My point was this:

It's not a matter of "not liking" or labeling...but more subtle.Just a few words or phrases a casual acquaintance would utter....their underlying envy, jealousy and insecurity about their own image and physical features were telegraphed....
Like I said, I never saw any of that. Maybe it was the merely "above average" jealous of the "well above average." I wasn't in either group in HS or college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology