Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 01:39 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times

Advertisements

Wish I could find studies on peak performance times based on when a person awakes naturally or their sleep time frames.
Reason I state that is, worked every shift and adapted to the late shift. Found that no matter the shift there was a four hour peak performance where ' in the zone' was Transpiring. Usually it was two hours after awakening.
Even now be it a workday or not I find that the first two hours are slow to generate the umph,! To start tasks ..
By no means am I eager to be that early riser , 5:30 am is not my cup of tea. Only do it when visiting foreign areas and take in those sunrises .. the mist over mountains with the sun peaking over the horizon centers things . Otherwise just enjoy the 24 hrs given. Life genuinely is brief.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:51 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
Well I'm a night owl. I don't do mornings. My usual bed time is about 3am although I've been known to stay up all night. That's why I worked the pm and night shift. It's just the way I'm wired.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:57 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At night, all the ugliness of the world disappears. One big plus!
That's sure the truth.

Late night grocery shopping is awesome. Unfortunately, in my area since the pandemic hit, I don't have the option.

Old 03-02-2024, 08:22 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
That's sure the truth.

Late night grocery shopping is awesome. Unfortunately, in my area since the pandemic hit, I don't have the option.
That is something I noticed when I moved from northern New Jersey about sixty miles south to the much-disputed "Central Jersey" area.

NO supermarkets are open all night. NO diners are open all night, either. I think the convenience stores, at least 7-11, still are.

I remember going shopping with an older sister when we shared an apartment for a year. We got two sets of coupons, and we went to the supermarket at 3 a.m. and bought two of everything that was on sale.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:05 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
That's sure the truth.

So true. My life has turned into me never needing to wait in lines or be stuck in traffic and I love it!!! Having “off hours” is a joy that many would not appreciate but it’s great for introverts and those easily over stimulated.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:29 PM

42 posts, read 15,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Never said that but thanks!
I apologize if I misunderstood, but what do you mean by "bent" then? To me, it came off as a very negative connotation in thus case. Bent means to be very determined or super stubborn about doing something, so it does read as once people reach certain age they should go to bed at 9pm, and get up at 5am, and if they don't they are just being crazy and stubborn, and you are wondering why are these people so obsessed with doing that when they shouldn't. I think it's normal to become more responsible with age, and of course, it would be stupid to stay up till 3am when you have to get up at 6am to go to work, but if your work schedule allows you to sleep in, you work from home or self employed or retired, why not just have the sleeping schedule that works for you? And this would be different to everyone, I do know people in their 20s who get to bed at 9-10pm, I just don't think it's the age thing.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:14 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
know people that are bent on staying up late?
Quote:
Over the age of, say 40.

Someone who feels compelled to stay up late for no apparent reason, night after night?

I was way more familiar with it in my teens and 20s, when going to bed before 11pm seemed to be a crime.

But now in our 40s and 50s I wonder what the compulsion is. FOMO? Sleep cycle issues?

Interested in thoughts.
If they’re ‘compelled’ or ‘bent’ on doing so, I’d say it has to do with a mental health issue; depression, bipolar, anxiety and psychosis can cause insomnia or sleep disturbances. It’s certainly different than one who wants to sleep (and maintains a regular sleep schedule, more or less) but can’t or those of us who only stay up past 11 or 11:30 on the weekend because there is a reason to do so.

At 50, I now see (and appreciate) the difference a good night’s sleep makes whereas in my twenties and thirties, I didn’t. Even then, though, I wasn’t ‘compelled’ or ‘bent’ on staying up late; I just prioritized my social (and work) life whereas now I’m more inclined to make it home earlier, as a whole.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:44 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
If they’re ‘compelled’ or ‘bent’ on doing so, I’d say it has to do with a mental health issue; depression, bipolar, anxiety and psychosis can cause insomnia or sleep disturbances.
All we know about the person is that he or she DOES stay up late and OP doesn't like it. It's only OP's bias suggesting that it's a "compulsion" or dysfunctional.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:18 AM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
All we know about the person is that he or she DOES stay up late and OP doesn't like it. It's only OP's bias suggesting that it's a "compulsion" or dysfunctional.
Right, we don’t know one way or the other; I simply responded to the OP’s question as written. That said, healthy adults recognize the need for regular sleep (at least most nights) relative to daily work and optimal functioning; they would not choose to stay up all hours of the night (on a regular basis).

Old 03-05-2024, 02:31 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
...healthy adults recognize the need for regular sleep (at least most nights) relative to daily work and optimal functioning; they would not choose to stay up all hours of the night (on a regular basis).
This mysterious person may be retired or unemployed or do shift work. We have no reason to believe he or she isn't getting a full 8 hours of sleep out of 24.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology