Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 06:27 AM

22,615 posts, read 47,741,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I’m just going to answer with this

Why People Are Bullied at Work
I don't see the connections between that and proper table manners.

Old 02-05-2024, 07:17 AM

8,706 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Quote:
I’m just going to answer with this

Why People Are Bullied at Work
You didn’t answer my question; who is bullying you or trying to control you? That said, an angry and combative stance is not a psychologically healthy approach to such (nor would it be welcomed into the workplace, for that matter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I don't see the connections between that and proper table manners.
Heh, exactly.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 02-05-2024 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-05-2024, 08:29 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
You can say no and still be polite about it. The two things aren't mutually exclusive, even when people want you to do something you don't want to do.

Old 02-05-2024, 10:02 AM

18,136 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You didn’t answer my question; who is bullying you or trying to control you? That said, an angry and combative stance is not a psychologically healthy approach to such (nor would it be welcomed into the workplace, for that matter).
I don't see how listing people's names is going to help
I gave you an answer and you refuse to accept it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You can say no and still be polite about it. The two things aren't mutually exclusive, even when people want you to do something you don't want to do.
Agree,
and that's what I do

Old 02-05-2024, 10:59 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,009,845 times
Quote:
This is the attitude people are referring to here.

Nobody wants 'names.'

Posters here just want clarification on the sorts of people pressuring/bullying you. Co-workers? Family? Random strangers? Friends? Lovers?

Old 02-05-2024, 11:05 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,009,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, sounds like a problem. You don't know table manners and don't care. It's fine but if you're actually at a restaurant that has a salad, fish/fruit, and dinner forks you really do need to know table manners. If a relative is trying to help you out since you don't know table manners, there is a better way to handle it than telling them you eat with your hands and stuff it.
I think his example of the dinner table was an unfortunate one, because like it or not, the whole "proper fork" thing is a little anachronistic (the napkin thins, though, spot on!). Unless of course the event took place at a formal sit-down place and/or the OP was truly eating like a neanderthal (doesn't seem the case).

In any event, walking around with a short fuse isn't a good look for anyone.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:12 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,797,964 times
We are in this world with all different kinds of people with all different kind of backgrounds and motives for doing/saying what they do/say.

The relatives who tried to influence you into proper table manners...do you know THEIR story...and WHY they do what they do? Was proper table etiquette literally beaten into their heads as kids?

Can't walk around thinking that EVERY time someone tries to 'tell you what to do' that they're trying to 'control' you.

That attitude won't get you very far in life.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:16 AM

8,706 posts, read 3,890,039 times
Quote:
Now as a grown adult, I don’t let anybody push me around (control me)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
This is the attitude people are referring to here.

Nobody wants 'names.'

Posters here just want clarification on the sorts of people pressuring/bullying you. Co-workers? Family? Random strangers? Friends? Lovers?
Exactly! It’s as if the OP is incapable of discussing his own thread sans an angry, combative tone.

Old 02-05-2024, 11:50 AM

13,816 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
We are in this world with all different kinds of people with all different kind of backgrounds and motives for doing/saying what they do/say.

The relatives who tried to influence you into proper table manners...do you know THEIR story...and WHY they do what they do?
Was proper table etiquette literally beaten into their heads as kids?

Can't walk around thinking that EVERY time someone tries to 'tell you what to do' that they're trying to 'control' you.

That attitude won't get you very far in life.

That's really not my concern and if a cousin said to me, "Excuse me but you should use this fork for... and place your napkin on your lap like this..." I'd say fine and may or may not take their suggestions. But I wouldn't let it ruin my dinner.

The same with those who ask more than once at a social gathering why I'm not drinking. I say for health reasons and if that's not good enough I move away.

But again, I wouldn't get upset or let it ruin my evening.

Last edited by john3232; 02-05-2024 at 12:16 PM..

Old 02-05-2024, 02:55 PM

44,374 posts, read 20,086,203 times
This thread headed nowhere fast. Consequently, it's now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology