Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,600,727 times

Advertisements

Fender Standard Precision Bass (P-Bass) 4-string Bass Guitar

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

When I was a teen, our band's bass player had a Fender that I loved. It was not flashy by today's standards, but it got the job done. That has been more years ago than I want to admit, but when I got ready to add a bass to my collection, I didn't look at too many other brands before settling with a standard Fender P-Bass.

Other than choosing red or black, which are the usual colors you associate with this bass, I opted to be really extreme and went with the Lake Placid blue. It wasn't the color my friends expected me to choose, but I like it and that's what counts.

I'm sure that more expensive bass guitars may offer some things that this Fender doesn't but it plays easy, holds its tune, and I like the old style design. It had a retail price of $779.99, which isn't a bank-breaking price, and it came with a nice hard shell case. I changed the strings on it as soon as I got home from the guitar shop to Ken Smith Rock Masters, which are my favorites.

One of the things you'll note about any good guitar is the way it keeps tune when not in use. I've had some that would have to be tuned every time I pulled them out of the case. This Fender stays tuned fairly well from one session to the next, but it usually needs tweaking a little each time I play it.

I am usually a six string picker, so I don't have as much experience with the bass as some others, but I do fairly well playing this one and would probably purchase it again if I had the choice. In its price range, I don't think you will find a better bass than the Fender P-Bass. Although I can't rate it the best out of all bass guitars, I definitely give it a four out of five stars rating and suggest you consider it for a starter bass.

Review by professional reviewer, Dec. 8, 2010
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews