Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win Super Bowl LVIII (58)?
Kansas City Chiefs 16 43.24%
San Francisco 49ers 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 11:07 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
We'll see how this shakes out. Looking at a list of team '23 offense stats, 49ers clearly a better team. Going to be a fun one, I think. Chiefs may have gotten it together late, but their offense wasn't great, passing or rushing compared to 49ers.
Based upon regular season stats the Ravens are going to beat up on the 49ers in the Super Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2024, 07:02 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
This post reminds me.

I've played horse racing for decades. One thing I've learned is that no matter how good a horse looks on paper, and how much it is endorsed by the morning line and the professional handicappers and the bettors through the tote board, every race is a new race. And over the years, I've learned that, horses are just like you and me. We sometimes wake up in the morning saying, "Crap, I don't wanna go to work today," and so do horses, as they demonstrate in today's race. In other words, no matter how good a horse (or a football team) looks on paper, via past performances, it does not necessarily indicate how the horse (or football team) will do in today's contest.

I agree that the stats tell us that the 49ers are a better offensive team. But all it would take is for Purdy or Kittle or McCaffrey or a few others to wake up on Sunday saying, "Crap, I don't wanna go to work today," and the Niners could fall apart. Don't get me wrong--I love the Niners and have for decades, and I'm sure that Purdy et al. are far too professional to do that--but I still see this game as too close to call, based only on stats.

At least, there are only two competitors in this contest. You try handicapping and making selections on a ten horse race!
I know, right? I play three horse box exactas and it's still difficult.

It's been a crazy year in the NFL ... I've been saying since November "It's like trying to pick horses!"

Old 02-07-2024, 06:30 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Chiefs will win. Their defense is playing better and offensively they have figured things out. People are making too much of the offenses second half shutout against the Ravens. I don't believe the Chiefs were really pushing the pedal to the metal once they got a 10-point lead with their defense playing as it was. When they had to have a play to end the game they came up with it.

Old 02-07-2024, 07:07 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Chiefs will win. Their defense is playing better and offensively they have figured things out. People are making too much of the offenses second half shutout against the Ravens. I don't believe the Chiefs were really pushing the pedal to the metal once they got a 10-point lead with their defense playing as it was. When they had to have a play to end the game they came up with it.
^^This. Anyone that has watched Andy Reid for any length of time knows that the Chiefs Offense was playing control ball and making sure they didn't give the Ravens defensive points and let them back in the game.

Chiefs just sat on them the 2nd half.

THe best part is that unlike speculation over players or other things that will never be known for sure...we'll get to see it play out shortly.

Kinda funny that someone would point to the Chiefs solidly beating the Ravens on the road as proof of some sort of weakness.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:04 AM

13,441 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post

The Ravens defense adjusted in the 2nd half. If Lamar didn't throw that INT in the end zone and Flowers didn't fumble before scoring in the end zone, the Ravens win or at the least OT. That's 14 points the Ravens left.

I'm picking the Chiefs because I don't think Purdy can pull it off in his 1st SB. He escaped the last 2 games at home that both should have lost against inferior teams.

The only way the 49ers win is that Purdy has a balance game (NO turnovers) and the defense or special teams scores 1 TD. If the 49ers score on defense, they have an excellent chance of winning.

Old 02-08-2024, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^This. Anyone that has watched Andy Reid for any length of time knows that the Chiefs Offense was playing control ball and making sure they didn't give the Ravens defensive points and let them back in the game.

That's a spin. Takeout the first 2 Chief drives that they scored and the Ravens basically shut them down. Why would the Chief lay low if 1 Ravens TD would have made a tie game. If that's a plan, it's pretty stupid especially a road team doing that and let the crowd in.

Ravens defense adjusted. Lamar INT in the end zone and Flowers fumble for a touchback are 14 points......That would have made the game 24-17 Ravens and force the Chief to score just to make it to OT.

It was a close game that those 2 Ravens plays in the end zone late decided the game.

Old 02-08-2024, 04:19 PM

487 posts, read 323,089 times
I can't see either team blowing the other team out. I voted for the Chiefs because of Mahomes, their defense and the 49er defense has looked surprisingly vulnerable the past two games.

Old 02-08-2024, 06:36 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
Pay close attention to two key Chiefs defensive players. Chris Jones(DT), and George Karlaftis(DE). They are spectacular at collapsing the pocket around quarterbacks. Both were big players in the wins over Bills and Ravens.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:34 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I was thinking about it today. It seems like it was only a year ago the last time a Super Bowl was played. And last time around I seem to remember the CHIEFS winning

SO will they be one of tose teams who wins two in a row, or is this the 49ers year?
Honestly, It is a hard game to pick.

But I sat down and looked over the past LVII Super Bowls and it looks like in every game, the team that scored the most points won.

SO If the Chiefs are going to win, they have to score more points against a well coached and well disciplined 49ers team.

I am predicting, for once a very close game. No blowout runaway like when the 49ers beat the Broncos by 59 points or the Chargers by even more.
And while it might not go as long and as many extra innings, like the time when the Dodgers beat the Red Sox in
7 hours 20 minutes, it could feasibly end in a 10-10 tie

Then again, who knows? ( Only Goodell and McMahon as they write the script for it)

I will say though, the Lombardo Trophy that President Nixon once held when the Packers visited the White House might pale in comparison to Joe Biden welcoming Patrick Mahomes for the upteenth time this decade, but so long as the chicken wings are well cooked, the cheese dip sticks to a crispy tortilla chip and a thin crispy bar-bq pizza topped with jalapenos sits across a table adorned with NFL logos and dishes, as i wax peotic the game and commercials, will it really matter who wins so long as the fans have fun?

Old 02-09-2024, 09:12 AM

For the 49ers to win, they need 1 TD from the defense or special teams and have a hell of a good running game to help Purdy. If the 49ers fall back to 2 scores, I don't see the 49ers winning. I hope is a good close game but Purdy doesn't convince me yet. He almost lost his last 2 games at home against inferior teams. He has to prove it in the biggest stage.

add that Spangnuolo had 2 weeks for his game plan and I'm leaning for the Chiefs to win and Mahomes take the MVP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football