Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:08 AM

27 posts, read 47,483 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts or experience with HughesNet high speed internet ? We’re moving to Prescott next month and still trying to figure out satellite vs cable internet, and also satellite vs cable TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 04:27 AM

402 posts, read 611,724 times
Sat is the last option. Check out the fixed wireless companies around first.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:06 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Have you priced it? It's very expensive.
I am using the medium internet package at CableOne right now. Good upload and download speeds and 300 Mb of data for $55 and no contract.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM

122 posts, read 154,636 times
We have CenturyLink for internet. It's only 5 Mbps (we're actually getting 9 Mbps) but that's more than fast enough for us to stream DVD quality TV and surf the net with no problems, and it's only $30/mth total (w taxes) with no contract.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:49 PM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I am using the medium internet package at CableOne right now. Good upload and download speeds and 300 Mb of data for $55 and no contract.
Ditto. Very satisfied.

I'd rather do the internet over a cell phone than use satellite.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:07 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
I'm about to have HughesNet installed next week at a more northerly remote location. Initial feedback from people who recommended it there was that it works (25 megs down, which slows to 3 megs after you burn through your datacap). People claim you can skype with it. There is some latency so real time applications like first person shooter games probably will not work with it (and they tell you as much).

My experience working from home in remote NorAZ areas is that you can get away with only 2 megs of speed to do just about anything. Slower than that an you have issues.

I agree with other posters that Satellite, though getting better, should only be used as a last resort. If I could even get a slower Centurylink connection I probably would.

I'll come back if I have time next week and post initial testing.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM

402 posts, read 611,724 times
Anyone have any experience with the areas Fixed Wireless companies?

Theres Mile High and Bolt. Mile High looks like the much much better option price wise

Local Prescott Unlimited High Speed Internet Company – No Contracts – No Data Caps – Locally Owned

Residential

Old 01-23-2018, 12:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Ditto, my bro uses it on his 125 acres, but it is the only choice..Very expensive...no movie downloads, or $$$$.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
On HughesNet...

Got it installed today. Speedtest.net says I'm getting 55 megs down 1 meg up. Impressive for satellite...but I'm getting a latency of 610ms...so no first person shooter games which is fine for me.

According to the tech that installed the speed drops down to 1 meg not 3 megs once you go over your datacap. I have a business account so my cap is 75 gigs but I can only use half of that during peak hours. Also the tech said wind is bad, snow and rain less bad but bad. I get all three up here more so than users will get those in Prescott or PV though.

I was able to do skype calls and screen sharing, so I think this will work for me for getting my remote working done. In Prescott I actually would go over my 300 CableOne data cap sometimes, so I will have to be much more judicious here.

Definitely not as good as a hard lined cable modem but it takes folks like me living in remote areas out of the stone age which opens up more remoter areas to telecommute from. Overall impressive...just hope all these waves blasting through the air aren't screwing up animal and human life. Don't dismiss that...there actually is something to it.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:17 PM

27 posts, read 47,483 times
Thanks Info for your info ! We’ll be arriving at the end of the month and will consider all these options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
View detailed profiles of: