Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 50,373 times

Advertisements

I am considering setting up a small chicken coop in my backyard, with maybe 3-4 hens, in Prescott Valley.

Is it allowed? Any license needed? Insight?

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:15 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslyka View Post
I am considering setting up a small chicken coop in my backyard, with maybe 3-4 hens, in Prescott Valley.

Not exactly insight, but CAL Ranch store has a nifty coop. The current Grit magazine has an article on chicken-raising.

My preference for home egg production is barred rock or Rhodies.

Can't beat fresh non-factory eggs. I believe eggs and tomatoes are the two products that stand out the most when home produced.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM

69 posts, read 223,962 times
Quote:

Thank you all.
Here you go! Have fun!

Prescott Arizona Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community

Old 04-21-2012, 12:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
O/P, are you in Prescott, PV, or...? That will make a difference.

ETA: OK, Prescott Valley? Then the link below won't help, as it's for the city of Prescott.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:34 AM

49 posts, read 83,567 times
Here's a pdf (requires download, but my computer didn't blow up when I did it) for zoning regulations in PV. I skimmed through it and it doesn't look like you can raise chickens there unless you're doing so commercially. I could have read it wrong, heh it's after midnight and I probably should have left it til later but you piqued my interest . I'd advise looking through it yourself just to make sure.

I'm glad I don't live there. Though my dogs killed all my chickens, so I guess it doesn't matter anymore anyway.

Want some dogs?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

Thank you all.

Look up the number to your City Hall and ask them, someone there should be able to tell you the "correct" answer on the phone, doubtful you will get it on a public forum.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,537,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashta View Post

I'm glad I don't live there.
Yeah, those regs are something, aren't they?

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-26-2012 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I love urban farming and wished we could smuggle a chicken in here, but I would be hanged from the nearest Saguaro I fear. I love the little organic farms in the small northern Ca cities you stumble across...complete with the free roaming chicken or two.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:24 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
I know its an old thread, but I recently e-mailed city council and it looks like they may look into changing the ordinance for backyard chickens and beehives in Prescott Valley.

Their response:

'Thank you for your email. Over the coming year the Town will be reviewing our zoning standards and code enforcement and can certainly add this to the list. This process will include staff research, community input, and vetting through the Planning and Zoning Commission and Town Council. Thanks for the comment!'

Ryan

Ryan Judy
Deputy Town Manager
Town of Prescott Valley

There are other people expressing interest to update or change the ordinance. With more people living here since 9 years when the thread started, it will probably be more successful.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:02 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Many HOAs exclude raising farm type (or almost any other) animals on your property so if you have an HOA check your rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott