Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 04:50 PM

469 posts, read 438,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It means there are jobs here. There are no jobs in eastern Ohio.
There are jobs in any location with an internet connection, including eastern Ohio. The remote/work from home thing is the new normal.

Funny enough, I’ve been house hunting in NE OH for the past 6 weeks. There are very charming New England style towns out here (Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls...) and homes are being snapped up instantly at premiums. Not Portland prices, but not far off in these particular towns.

I sold in PDX thinking I’d waltz into NE OH with a wad of cash and have my way. Ummm...nope.

Yes, you can absolutely find cheap homes in slightly less desirable locations. But that’s the case in many states.

The housing situation is pretty much a national phenomenon right now, more or less.

The market will find equilibrium. It always does. The nation is still puckered up. Good article from Zillow with some prognostication. As always, grain of salt on predictions.

https://www.zillow.com/research/zhpe...om-home-29311/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 05:09 PM

435 posts, read 455,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Why is wage and economic growth a bad thing? Seems better than the alternative?

Also the Article you reference could be written for any metro or geographic area of country. Nothing peculiar to these trends for Portland
Just a guess, but he's probably referring to the permanent loss of working class jobs as the "bad thing"

Old 04-25-2021, 07:25 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,263,411 times
Quote:
Why is wage and economic growth a bad thing? Seems better than the alternative?

Also the Article you reference could be written for any metro or geographic area of country. Nothing peculiar to these trends for Portland
Indeed, it is happenning in most of the country's major metros.

It's both good and bad. On the plus side it brings more money in and increases values.

On the bad side it's basically gentrifying the entire country's top metro areas. Like I said, like California. We'll all start having California problems. We already are.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
There are jobs in any location with an internet connection, including eastern Ohio. The remote/work from home thing is the new normal.
For people with a particular set of skills and connections. Do you think the someone who graduated high school 45th percentile from Steubenville has those skills? This whole work from home crap is going to be diaastrous for income and wealth inequality. About 20-30% of the population will do quite well but the rest will do worse.

E.g.: I can work from home because I'm well established and have built a reputation. But I didn't start working from home and I can't imagine new people will do well trying to get a foothold in my line of work. At leadt not the way I did. Human connections matter.

But not all of us are cut out for working from home. If that is the future I want nothing to do with it.

I had the worst depression of my life 2 months ago and it was because of the isolation. It was scary for both me and family, since technically speaking I've been through a LOT worse and weathered that fine. I did not previously believe depression could happen to me. I had to put an expiration date on when I will stop working from home or leave this line of work I put my whole life into. Sucks. Luckily it looks like reopening is more likely than it was 2 months ago, and in response to hearing from my doctor my employer is putting me in a higher priority for reopening than I was before.

Also, any job that be done from home in the U.S. can be done by an Indian or Filipino for 1/8th of the price and the employer won't have to cover their health care. They speak English pretty well and they have internet too. All they need is the education and they will be able to get that online. If that is the future we're pretty screwed.

Quote:
Funny enough, I’ve been house hunting in NE OH for the past 6 weeks. There are very charming New England style towns out here (Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls...) and homes are being snapped up instantly at premiums. Not Portland prices, but not far off in these particular towns.

I sold in PDX thinking I’d waltz into NE OH with a wad of cash and have my way. Ummm...nope.

Yes, you can absolutely find cheap homes in slightly less desirable locations. But that’s the case in many states.

The housing situation is pretty much a national phenomenon right now, more or less.

The market will find equilibrium. It always does. The nation is still puckered up. Good article from Zillow with some prognostication. As always, grain of salt on predictions.

https://www.zillow.com/research/zhpe...om-home-29311/
No doubt there are cute homes and towns in the NE Ohio area. I simply did a Zillow search for where 3/2 houses in decent shape can be found for 50-90k, and the OH-PA border area seems to be one of them. The PNW is not.

Last edited by redguard57; 04-25-2021 at 10:17 PM..

Old 04-26-2021, 05:56 AM

469 posts, read 438,451 times
Quote:
For people with a particular set of skills and connections. Do you think the someone who graduated high school 45th percentile from Steubenville has those skills? This whole work from home crap is going to be diaastrous for income and wealth inequality. About 20-30% of the population will do quite well but the rest will do worse.

E.g.: I can work from home because I'm well established and have built a reputation. But I didn't start working from home and I can't imagine new people will do well trying to get a foothold in my line of work. At leadt not the way I did. Human connections matter.

But not all of us are cut out for working from home. If that is the future I want nothing to do with it.

I had the worst depression of my life 2 months ago and it was because of the isolation. It was scary for both me and family, since technically speaking I've been through a LOT worse and weathered that fine. I did not previously believe depression could happen to me. I had to put an expiration date on when I will stop working from home or leave this line of work I put my whole life into. Sucks. Luckily it looks like reopening is more likely than it was 2 months ago, and in response to hearing from my doctor my employer is putting me in a higher priority for reopening than I was before.

Also, any job that be done from home in the U.S. can be done by an Indian or Filipino for 1/8th of the price and the employer won't have to cover their health care. They speak English pretty well and they have internet too. All they need is the education and they will be able to get that online. If that is the future we're pretty screwed.

No doubt there are cute homes and towns in the NE Ohio area. I simply did a Zillow search for where 3/2 houses in decent shape can be found for 50-90k, and the OH-PA border area seems to be one of them. The PNW is not.
Look, my point is that if you start doing “like to like” comparisons, you see common trends across various markets: low inventory, rapid bidding, price inflation, etc. The equivalent of the Lake Oswego type buyer in NE OH is going for homes in Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls, Hudson, etc. These are tough markets for buyers at the moment. Not Portland crazy prices, but your $50k check won’t get you much more than the front door mat.

I get it...you ran a Zillow search and spot some $50k homes in blighted urban areas of Cleveland or Akron, or out in the sticks somewhere. Using that as a measuring stick for Portland is not so practical IMO.

We agree on the pitfalls and drawbacks of remote working. I personally hate the arrangement and dreaded it when I had to do it. And the 45th percentile Steubenville student is, indeed, hosed. As is (likely) the 45th percentile Florence or Aberdeen student.

Cheers.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:02 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,649,695 times
Working from home isn’t for everyone. We’ve always been a work from home company, for 12 years now actually. Offices are a waste of money I couldn’t afford when I started the company and still can’t justify now. There’s just no reason for it when we can do everything over email and phone. To be fair, we are nationwide and hire in every city for gigs, so it just doesn’t make sense for us. We don’t meet most of our clients and we don’t meet the people who do the work for us, either. It’s all online. I love it personally because I hate leaving the house. The pandemic wasn’t as bad for me as a result, more like an excuse to stay home lol. I grant I like going out sometimes and this was a bit extreme for me, but I find most people just run around like chickens with their heads cut off and I can’t figure out what it is they feel the constant need to go out for. I usually just assume their houses aren’t built with function in mind, like I have a home gym which is a luxury, I get not everyone can do that but I even had a Bowflex and an elliptical in my tiny condo so I could do workouts from home. I’ve always tried to make sure wherever I live is functional enough so I don’t have to leave. In general, leaving the house is just an annoyance lol.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:22 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,868,754 times
Quote:
Indeed, it is happenning in most of the country's major metros.

It's both good and bad. On the plus side it brings more money in and increases values.

On the bad side it's basically gentrifying the entire country's top metro areas. Like I said, like California. We'll all start having California problems. We already are.
California's issues have little to do with "excessive" wealth creation. California's issues are due to man's weakness for corruption and power. Snake oil salesmen create fake issues and offer fake solutions. Naïve people then give them power. It happens throughout history.

Old 04-28-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
California's issues have little to do with "excessive" wealth creation. California's issues are due to man's weakness for corruption and power. Snake oil salesmen create fake issues and offer fake solutions. Naïve people then give them power. It happens throughout history.
Working and middle classes priced out of housing and an increasing homeless are precisely CA problems caused directly by all the money that explodes its housing markets.

In OR we can't even do what CA did for decades. If we build out, that development would be in the fire ecology zone and just burn down.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:57 PM

2,669 posts, read 3,868,754 times
Quote:
Working and middle classes priced out of housing and an increasing homeless are precisely CA problems caused directly by all the money that explodes its housing markets.

In OR we can't even do what CA did for decades. If we build out, that development would be in the fire ecology zone and just burn down.
No way is this a $ issue. CA govt policy makes prices explode. Ever been to CA? Millions of buildable acres that cannot be touched due to overbearing govt. policy. OR is similar in thinking

Demand could easily be addressed by free market. Democrat leadership dislikes that reality because they are not controlling outcome if market is allowed to work.

Melodramatic to say it will-all burn down.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:39 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,732,556 times
Quote:
No way is this a $ issue. CA govt policy makes prices explode. Ever been to CA? Millions of buildable acres that cannot be touched due to overbearing govt. policy. OR is similar in thinking

Demand could easily be addressed by free market. Democrat leadership dislikes that reality because they are not controlling outcome if market is allowed to work.

Melodramatic to say it will-all burn down.
Actually, its more complicated than that. Although easy to blame liberal politics for CA or OR problems, these are more complex issues than that. As a CA native who has lived through both parties in office from Ronald Reagan to Jerry Brown, it has never been that simple - one party has all the answers. Though they would love you to believe that. Just vote for X and make Oregon great again. This problem was never solved by something as simple as 'build more houses' nor could it be. Though they did try this in CA in earnest and it didn't work. I grew up there when 'Orange County' was mostly orange fields and farmland. It was better then. Now, its a part of the most massive, densely populated concrete jungle in the nation. That buildout was massive and spanned over decades. Yet it did not stabilize prices nor make them more affordable for the middle class as was hoped. Why? Because demand remained high regardless of how many they built and still is today. They could never build enough houses to satisfy demand in these more desirable regions nor could Portland, Seattle, Denver, Boise, San Diego, San Francisco and the list goes on.

So, the result is urban 'sprawl' for miles where folks drive 1-2+ hours one way to work daily from out in the boonies. The same thing happened in the Bay Area. They've already built out San Francisco and San Jose. So, where do the people go? Further east into less than desirable locations where its hot, dusty and dry with terrible pollution and major drought/fire issues. And they're still building out there in places like Tracy, Modesto, Stockton, Fresno, etc... They're even building in places which have burned down multiple in the highest risk fire zones. And no one stopped them, not even the liberals. lol

For Oregon to build out more, especially in and around Portland, they would need to do likewise replacing farms with concrete suburbs and freeways beyond where the eye could see. I think they are trying to build out more. But there are obvious limits for good reason. Not everyone wants to replicate what they did to SoCal and I don't blame them. Its a mess and more unaffordable now than when they started.

We discovered the hard way that 'more' isn't always better nor a long term solution to more affordable housing. Sometimes people just need to move to more affordable areas within the state or outside of it.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-28-2021 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland