Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 07:24 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,257,130 times

Advertisements

as the plane was coming down I noticed what appeared to be a huge layer of smog.

jesus, I might as well be in LA.

i thought coming up here it was going to be nice and cool and great air quality but nope. i didnt know the summers were like this here. this kinda weather reminds me of the lake tahoe and vicinity weather.

gonna need to come here during the winter to see how it is.

also, I just tried to park and the machine asked for my license plate. not only is that super annoying but also, the digits didn't display the letters which made it an absolutely horrendous experience. who puts these people into power?

that being said, where should I have dinner tonight?

Last edited by YoungTraveler2011; 09-02-2017 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 PM

13,154 posts, read 7,659,168 times
You will be staying where and for how long?

It's not smog, it's LA fires.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:57 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,257,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
You will be staying where and for how long?

It's not smog, it's LA fires.
I'm staying just east of the river. 2 nights and then Im heading to Seattle.

Tomorrow Im planning to go to Mt Hood.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 AM

1,183 posts, read 542,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
as the plane was coming down I noticed what appeared to be a huge layer of smog.

i thought coming up here it was going to be nice and cool and great air quality but nope. i didnt know the summers were like this here. this kinda weather reminds me of the lake tahoe and vicinity weather.

also, I just tried to park and the machine asked for my license plate. not only is that super annoying but also, the digits didn't display the letters which made it an absolutely horrendous experience. who puts these people into power?

In California.

Joking...

Last edited by SumTingy; 09-03-2017 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-03-2017, 10:11 AM

43 posts, read 46,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
In California.

Joking...
Typical defensive passive aggressive Portland answer.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:55 PM

679 posts, read 886,131 times
Seriously, though, how could the OP not know that the PNW is going through a record setting hot summer with fires throughout Oregon and Washington? Especially when he lives in Southern California, also a hotbed of fire activity.

Checking the weather at your destination before you leave on a trip is highly recommended.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,302,018 times
Because we live more outdoors and are affected by it everyday without ac?

They're on a different news cycle too. They'd have the look up our local news to get the weather reports and air quality in the PNW. Fire season changes every year and every where, but you're right California has the same fire season as us usually.

I remember when Napa Valley was on fire in the past few years and they kicked into high gear to save the grapes.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Because we live more outdoors and are affected by it everyday without ac?

They're on a different news cycle too. They'd have the look up our local news to get the weather reports and air quality in the PNW. Fire season changes every year and every where, but you're right California has the same fire season as us usually.

I remember when Napa Valley was on fire in the past few years and they kicked into high gear to save the grapes.

Actually, fire season in SoCal is typically Summer and Fall, aka the hottest time of the year. Ugh. Don't miss that, sad to see OR go up in flames every summer too.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,087,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post

I admit, I said the same thing when I first moved. Who knew it got so dang hot up here. I mean, yes, we're in the middle of heat wave, but honestly, if you're escaping SoCal to be cool, you have to go farther north (try BC, Canada) or come in October/November when it's cooler here, but still hot due to the Santa Ana's in SoCal. July to early Sept is as hot or hotter than SoCal.

I wonder if you made it to Mt. Hood seeing as how things are shut down due to the fire over there. Maybe head to the coast for cooler weather and clearer skies (of smoke, maybe not clouds).

Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,687,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I admit, I said the same thing when I first moved. Who knew it got so dang hot up here. I mean, yes, we're in the middle of heat wave, but honestly, if you're escaping SoCal to be cool, you have to go farther north (try BC, Canada) or come in October/November when it's cooler here, but still hot due to the Santa Ana's in SoCal. July to early Sept is as hot or hotter than SoCal.

I wonder if you made it to Mt. Hood seeing as how things are shut down due to the fire over there. Maybe head to the coast for cooler weather and clearer skies (of smoke, maybe not clouds).
Vancouver and parts of BC have been hotter than LA the last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: