Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 11:55 AM

137 posts, read 327,998 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from California and have decided to lease a house for a year while we transition. (We've come up looking for property/homes several times over the past couple of years.) We moved my mother to Sherwood last year and we have other family members in the Newberg area.
My question is: Which area would you recommend for looking for a house to rent? Somewhere outside of Portland, within 20-30 miles of Sherwood. (I'd rather be closer to Portland rather than Salem.) I'd like to live in a nicer, hopefully newer home with a good sized yard in a calm neighborhood and can go up to $2,500/month. (Just FYI - we've lived in an older ranch style home in a country setting for the past 30 years, so we want to try a different type of environment. That's why I'd like a "nicer, newer" home with some neighbors - but still need a big yard.) I'm not sure whether to look in Oregon City, Beaverton, Wilsonville, Tigard....? We have two elementary school aged children. Although we homeschool, I'd still like to be in a nice area with things to do - would like to carry on with ballet lessons, etc.
I'll be up next month to try to find a place, but really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by 10ofus; 04-11-2016 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:01 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
Where will you be working?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:10 PM

478 posts, read 882,100 times
If you're looking for subdivision-type "newer" you may want to check out Happy Valley, which is about a half-hour commute to Sherwood (when there's no traffic.) You probably wouldn't find a big yard in a new house though.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
I don't recommend the drive from HV to Sherwood, personally. It can be a mess at the oddest times. Doable? Sure. Pleasant? No.

In general I'd probably stay west of the river. Lake Oswego/West Linn will have older homes, but as they're more upscale I don't believe ranch-style is significant in either. What $2500 gets you there these days, if anything, that I'm less sure of since it's out of my range.

As NWGirl asked, where would you be working/commuting to?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Forgot to say, I work from home (internet based) and my husband will be a semi-retired building contractor. We're not super concerned about the commute. (We've experienced the traffic there.) Thank you for your input.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:24 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Try Hillsboro.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ofus View Post
We are relocating from California and have decided to lease a house for a year while we transition. (We've come up looking for property/homes several times over the past couple of years.) We moved my mother to Sherwood last year and we have other family members in the Newberg area.
My question is: Which area would you recommend for looking for a house to rent? Somewhere outside of Portland, within 20-30 miles of Sherwood. (I'd rather be closer to Portland rather than Salem.) I'd like to live in a nicer, hopefully newer home with a good sized yard in a calm neighborhood and can go up to $2,500/month. (Just FYI - we've lived in an older ranch style home in a country setting for the past 30 years, so we want to try a different type of environment. That's why I'd like a "nicer, newer" home with some neighbors - but still need a big yard.) I'm not sure whether to look in Oregon City, Beaverton, Wilsonville, Tigard....? We have two elementary school aged children. Although we homeschool, I'd still like to be in a nice area with things to do - would like to carry on with ballet lessons, etc.
I'll be up next month to try to find a place, but really don't know where to start. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
In Portland, nice, newer homes don't come with big yards unless you're talking about very high end homes, which would be several thousand a month above your budget. Newer homes come on postage stamp sized yards here because of the land-use laws. Most homes built in the last 20 - 30 years are attached or so close together they just as well be attached and many don't come with anything beyond a large paved porch/patio and a patch of grass if you're lucky.

Your best bet for what you want with a big yard is an older home that's been updated, but your budget certainly isn't going to get you anything really high end. It also depends on what kind of neighborhood and neighbors you want. I would try Beaverton, Hillsboro, Tigard, Tualatin, West Linn, Wilsonville, and Sherwood to start and see what you find.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:48 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,984 times
Unless you are trying to put some miles between you and family I'd suggest Sherwood. The rental market is very tight everywhere and it maybe best to find an available rental that meets your needs and jump on it. (Nice homes rent in a matter of days) There are a few in your price range in Sherwood that I think are nice enough.

The Sherwood YMCA is hard to beat for year-round activities and I've seen home schooled kids in some sort of organized PE class in the afternoons sometimes.

Here is what Padmapper comes up with in Sherwood and surroundings

https://www.padmapper.com/?viewType=...lse&dogs=false

Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 744 times
Older home, but has everything you want. About 20-30 minutes to Sherwood. I was looking at it for clients working at Intel, but they wanted something within walking distance. https://reliance.appfolio.com/listin...5-fb442fae92c9

Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 PM

Great advice and suggestions everyone. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland