Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,049,537 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm moving to Portland and I'm looking for any useful info. Below is my situation in a nutshell, please read and share any advice you may have. Thanks!

I've been doing research on Portland for over a year now as well as a multitude of other cities (Including San Francisco, LA, San Diego, and Seattle basically all the major west coast cities) and between all those, from what I've seen, Portland has the cheapest cost of living by far. I'm seeing plenty of 1 bedroom apartments in nearly every neighborhood within a 20 mile radius of Portland for $600-$750 a month that I'd be very comfortable living in. I haven't seen any info or pictures of a neighborhood in all of Portland that looks as bad as what I've previously lived in which was South East downtown Grand Rapids, MI. From my research I've also found the crime rate isn't as prominent as the other cities I mentioned. Also (my main reason for moving there) the music scene is one of the best in the country. My fiance and I have decided to move there this May without jobs or an apartment set up (were taking 5 weeks to get out there but we have enough cash saved up to live off of for nearly a year) so we'll probably start contacting apartment complexes in May, which I've researched. And we'll probably start contacting/looking for work once we're on our last week of our trip at my friends place in Oakland, CA. My favorite neighborhoods I've seen have been right around the Powell Butte Nature Park/right around where portland meets Gresham. I've looked at many job postings and I'm planning on getting something involving Manual labor (construction, landscaping, etc.) I've got 7 years experience in retail, online sales, and customer service so I'd be able to do that as well, but I'm tired of sitting at a desk and would rather work with my hands. I'm not too worried about the unemployment rate, I know it isn't great in Portland, but West Michigan is one of the worst in the country so I'm used to it. That's pretty much the gist of it, an advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,354,860 times
Stay away from 60th and Killingsworth.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM

Thanks, I have heard that North portland was a bit rougher. What are your opinions on West portland (near powell Butte Nature park) and East Gresham? Those areas are my main prospects because they're 6-10 miles from the Hawthorne district (which I'm told is the main area for venues etc. and I'm planning on being an active musician) and only 20-25 miles from the country and mt. hood area (I'm a big outdoors enthusiast). The third location I was considering was the Multnomah village area or areas near there just southwest of the river. It seems safer, and more affordable but it's further away from the music scene and mountains. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 PM

Actually the Entertainment District is one of the less safe areas of Portland. It is right next to and part of the Tenderloin area and Skidrow.

Although most of the crime in the area is drunk against drunk. Straight against Gay, and Homeless against Homeless.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
For actual crime statistics, go to this website and plug in the cross streets or an address in the neighborhood or area you are interested in:

CrimeMapper

It's a pretty handy tool for finding out what an area is really like.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Actually the Entertainment District is one of the less safe areas of Portland. It is right next to and part of the Tenderloin area and Skidrow.

Although most of the crime in the area is drunk against drunk. Straight against Gay, and Homeless against Homeless.
Alright, that's not what I was asking. I was asking about Gresham, East portland near the Powell Butte Nature Center (which looks beautiful) and Multnomah west of the river. I'm going to be in the entertainment district regardless of where I live, that's the entire reason I'm moving, and I'm quite used to everything you've mentioned. But obviously a lot can change in a 15 mile span, heck a lot can change in a 1 mile span so I'm looking on information on West Gresham, East Portland, and Multnomah. I've also looked at a few places in North Milwaukee. They seem to be the safest areas in Portland area that are reasonably priced, but I'd like an opinion on each area I mentioned.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
For actual crime statistics, go to this website and plug in the cross streets or an address in the neighborhood or area you are interested in:

CrimeMapper

It's a pretty handy tool for finding out what an area is really like.
Thanks, I checked one of the areas (the closest to downtown I'm considering) and it's pretty subdued. Just typically stuff, no homocides or rapes. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 PM

478 posts, read 882,918 times
I can speak to north Milwaukie. It's probably a lot more convenient, time and traffic-wise, to the Hawthorne district than Gresham or Multnomah Village. As long as you are west of about Linwood, it's generally very safe, although not at all an exciting place to live. (Even east of Linwood is a cakewalk compared with most big cities ) The area around King Rd. has a lot of the apartments; you can walk to the Safeway, public transportation is good and you're near the Springwater Corridor if you like to bike. You didn't say too much about what kind of amenities you want nearby.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
I can speak to north Milwaukie. It's probably a lot more convenient, time and traffic-wise, to the Hawthorne district than Gresham or Multnomah Village. As long as you are west of about Linwood, it's generally very safe, although not at all an exciting place to live. (Even east of Linwood is a cakewalk compared with most big cities ) The area around King Rd. has a lot of the apartments; you can walk to the Safeway, public transportation is good and you're near the Springwater Corridor if you like to bike. You didn't say too much about what kind of amenities you want nearby.
Thanks for the info! Well both me and Fiance will have cars and bikes so walking distance amenities aren't really an issue. Honestly I'd just like to be within a short distance of Hawthorne area. I'm not sure where I'll be working and I figure most of what I'll be doing in downtown portland would be playing gigs and going to them, so I'd be usually driving if I have equipment, or if it's late. Which brings me to a couple questions, what is parking like in downtown (or hawthorn/just east of downtown) like. Is it real expensive? Is it easy? Is it free nights and weekends and meters? Are there many meters? Does public transit run late?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM

No Parking allowed in the Entertainment District on Weekends. It's a new city ordinance to protect the drunks who stagger out into the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland