Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 39,160 times

Advertisements

And likewise, Michigan gets stretches of gorgeous winter sunshine to go with the white. I’m sure it doesn’t rain ALL winter in Portland, and it doesn’t snow all the time in Mushagain.

Unless you’re in Houghton. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM

112 posts, read 615,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Yes, Marcus, that's because people exaggerate!!!
And I thought that this would be a good time to point that out.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:30 PM

I remember an incident from a few years back when I was working in downtown Grand Rapids. It was early March, and we were being treated to a cold, heavy rain that morning. I had an umbrella, so I was still fairly dry when I arrived at the office elevator.

Right behind me was a woman who followed me in to the elevator and she was absolutely soaked to the bone. Her hair looked like she just stepped out of the shower. Her face was dripping. Her coat was saturated. And she’s shivering.

The only thing she said was, “Good thing it isn’t snowing, huh?”

Oy! I’d have taken a foot of snow over that rain in a heartbeat!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
Well, the nice thing about Portland is apart from a few storms, most of the rain is pretty light when it happens.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,618,399 times
We just returned back home last nite. It rained everyday we were there, and then sun peeked out,,and it was foggy,,,and it was very windy,,and it was cloudy with no wind,and then "blow you away winds" on the coast,and then a little snow on Hood, then a chilly day,then nice warmer day----we called it "Sybill weather" as it had endless personalities As soon as we left,,it was sunny and lovely. We had a great time anyway.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Paul View Post
And likewise, Michigan gets stretches of gorgeous winter sunshine to go with the white. I’m sure it doesn’t rain ALL winter in Portland, and it doesn’t snow all the time in Mushagain.

Unless you’re in Houghton. ;-)
Trust me. It doesn't rain all winter. January 2007 we had more than 7 consecutive sunny days. I live in Seattle, but we have the same weather

Last edited by Botev1912; 10-23-2007 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 AM

48 posts, read 173,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
How does it get worse than Michigan?
This doesn't help northeast Ohio is so much worse than Michigan. I used to live in Michigan and nothing compares to Northeast Ohio. Stupid Lake effect. Green grass on Christmas, 10 inch blizzards in April. What!?!? I'd move to Portland and deal with rainy gloomy over snow any day.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Hey Kelouks....the entire western half of the LP gets lake effect all winter. And the northern half of the UP (from Lake Superior).

Where'd you live in MI?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
We just returned back home last nite. It rained everyday we were there, and then sun peeked out,,and it was foggy,,,and it was very windy,,and it was cloudy with no wind,and then "blow you away winds" on the coast,and then a little snow on Hood, then a chilly day,then nice warmer day----we called it "Sybill weather" as it had endless personalities As soon as we left,,it was sunny and lovely. We had a great time anyway.
My mother manages to time it like this too! It's either cold with hard rain, or it's a freak heat wave and 100 degrees when she comes!! She has a horrible impression of Portland weather. One of my friends however has managed to time every visit with beautiful weather, including a December trip with a week of beautiful bright blue skies. He said he doesn't believe that it even rains in Portland. It's always gorgeous w/full sun when he comes!

Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM

I don’t what all the fuss about Portland weather is all about. I was just in Portland last Thursday thru Sunday and it was clear, sunny, highs in the low 60s the entire time. Hardly saw even a single cloud. Just perfect.

No reason to think it isn’t that way all the time.

;-)

Had an AWESOME trip, incidentally. Pretty damned windy up at Mt. Hood and in the Gorge, but I’ll never forget this trip! (25th wedding anniversary getaway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland