Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2022, 07:29 AM

66 posts, read 449,375 times

Advertisements

Hello.. We are thinking of moving to the PSL area and would like a 55 plus in zip 34986. I know that some 55 +'s have a higher % of an older age population. My husband and myself are in our 60's so would like a place where the majority of people are around our age.. Any suggestions.. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 08:33 AM

451 posts, read 455,905 times
I'd suggest looking for a brand new development. That would give you a much better chance of age parity being that most would be recently retired.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:48 AM

453 posts, read 301,140 times
Yeah you'll need personal referrals because IMO the majority of places are not identifiable that way.

New is nice, AND risky. Builder owns the HOA at first and when it's turned over at 80% to the residents they're clueless and unstructured.

So....

Not sure what you mean. You mean not mostly over 70? LOL You're nearly there.

Probably in established communities around 20% might be over 70. The rest it's a crap shoot because FIRST we had all the people buying when the market crashed in 2008, THEN all the people buying during the pandemic. A lot of churn. So do the math. If the place was 55+ when it was built and built in say, 1987, there are very few original owners there.

You KNOW that there are very vibrant people buying homes in their 70's, right? Often very expensive single family large homes, at that.

I'd be more concerned with knowing how many were renters. And how many foreclosures were in progress and HOA dues in arrears. And to a lesser extent how many under 55 lived there either as a 80/20 rule or as "caregivers".

Info generally only available when you have a firm contract and get the HOA docs where you have 3 days to read and withdraw.

HOA docs will not necessarily include % of renters you'd have to demand to know that and it's a FL law that a census be conducted in all condos yearly so they DO know.

I'd also be VERY concerned about the bylaws on visitors and GRANDCHILDREN. Wherein, some dopes allow 30 DAY VISITS and their brats are monopolizing the pool all day long and the HOA brilliant solution is to have a "resident adult hour" for swimming so the little angels aren't LIMITED! Kinda backwards wouldn't you say? LOL.

I only RENTED there and left, the HOA was NEW and clueless and out of control on the kid and DOG front. Even having residents babysit all day and kids running wild. In 2009 in a $550,000 house!

Further, it would be of UTMOST importance to me to know the situation on dogs. Because EVERYONE is getting dogs as fake "assistance dogs" in no pet communities. And it's not something the HOA can disclose to you so I"d be researching this very hard. AND the HOA cannot even limit the size or breed restrictions.

Also possible the realtor is not permitted to disclose this on a particular unit also. Like a form of HHS hiipa type thing.

OLD PEOPLE are the LEAST of your problems. Unless they have PITA visitors. They don't bother anybody so what's the problem?

Last edited by huitrecouture; 07-16-2022 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 AM

Forgot to say, if your interest is in "active communities" they can show you the sample schedule but it is VERY MUCH not active like before in any HOAs because of Covid. So don't expect much unless you're the types to start groups and solicit membership and be active to the extent the board and community have approved. But if you want to know, it's best to see with your own eyes.

Under normal circumstances I'd say always RENT first somewhere but in today's market, it's anybody's guess about that idea.

Also, a lot of what I said can be mitigated if you're buying a single family not condo.

Unless you want to walk your dog and some neighbor can't control their dominant breed so you can't walk your dog AT ALL.

It happens.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 07-16-2022 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-16-2022, 11:18 AM

66 posts, read 449,375 times
Yes, we are in our 60's and not saying there is no active 70 plus people,I'm sure some have more energy then we do at times lol. My parents had a place in Delray (Kings point) that was definitely for what I saw ,
most people in the 80's and 90"s. just trying to avoid that!

Old 07-17-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysammy View Post
Yes, we are in our 60's and not saying there is no active 70 plus people,I'm sure some have more energy then we do at times lol. My parents had a place in Delray (Kings point) that was definitely for what I saw ,
most people in the 80's and 90"s. just trying to avoid that!
What communities have MOST people in their 80's and 90's??? Anywhere?

Then you'll need a real estate agent willing to know and disclose that because it's not part of the census and places like where I live have a TON Of snowbirds which you can't judge off season when it's a ghost town.

Old 07-17-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
What communities have MOST people in their 80's and 90's??? Anywhere?

Then you'll need a real estate agent willing to know and disclose that because it's not part of the census and places like where I live have a TON Of snowbirds which you can't judge off season when it's a ghost town.
OH you said Kings Point DID have most people in their 80's or 90's I missed that.

Luckily THAT is it's own CDP so you can see the media age IS older than your typical communities at age 77.

I googled it:

Kings Point 77
Boca is 43
PSL is 42
Vero BEach 54 (and the county is the same)

But that only works for counties cities or CDPs not HOAs

I tried some of the PSL hoas but they didn't come up independent cdps like this one (which looks nice)

https://cascadesatslw.connectresident.com/

Old 07-18-2022, 07:59 AM

300 posts, read 474,734 times
Active is a relative term. I walk about 7 miles in the morning/two hours and do a 15 mile/one hour bike ride in the afternoon almost every day. Not bragging, but I have the time and have always been active. There only a few people I consider this active in my 55 plus community. There are a lot of tennis players using the courts.

Another perspective on living in a 55 plus community. I moved to one in Vero Beach in November 2020 and I have had four neighbors on my street pass away since I have moved in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
View detailed profiles of: