Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 11:55 AM

453 posts, read 301,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
It's really amazing how often these trains jump the tracks and hit a vehicle safely waiting on the other side of the gate for the train to pass by.
Totally false.

All the deaths since 2017 at least were caused by the foolish victims themselves.

Why do people just make stuff UP????

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/d...beach-13717396
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 02:02 PM

52 posts, read 62,102 times
I am "only kicking the tires" right now. I'm not really concerned about "SKYROCKETING" prices because my house is skyrocketing just as much (increased $40,000 in the last month), so it's all relative. Florida isn't the only place in the country with large property value increases. I am presently looking at homes in the 500K range. That number may be much different when I am ready to make a move. From what I have seen, not all homes in Oak Chase are 600K and up. 6 months ago, one sold for $370,000. 5 months ago, two sold for $395,000. A few weeks ago, one sold for $426,000. So I am far from being priced out of Oak Chase. Yes, I am looking for a "well run" subdivision. I am not looking for a community with large HOA's or fancy amenities. I don't need tennis courts, clubhouses and pickle ball. I don't want to live in a community with abandoned, foreclosed, run down homes with a bunch of renters and fiscally irresponsible management. I do have to thank you for your input. I will continue with my search. Hopefully I can find a home despite my "list of demands". Hopefully my lowly $500,000 price range doesn't land me in "townhouse territory". You said there were only 5 homes in Vero in my price range and you wouldn't live in 'ANY" of them. Maybe I would. Thanks again. Have a nice day.

Old 04-09-2022, 07:05 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Totally false.

All the deaths since 2017 at least were caused by the foolish victims themselves.

Why do people just make stuff UP????

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/d...beach-13717396
My post was total sarcasm. I agree it's the people that are trying to beat the train, it's their fault, not the train's fault!

Old 04-10-2022, 11:19 AM

453 posts, read 301,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ8389 View Post
I am "only kicking the tires" right now. I'm not really concerned about "SKYROCKETING" prices because my house is skyrocketing just as much (increased $40,000 in the last month), so it's all relative. Florida isn't the only place in the country with large property value increases. I am presently looking at homes in the 500K range. That number may be much different when I am ready to make a move. From what I have seen, not all homes in Oak Chase are 600K and up. 6 months ago, one sold for $370,000. 5 months ago, two sold for $395,000. A few weeks ago, one sold for $426,000. So I am far from being priced out of Oak Chase. Yes, I am looking for a "well run" subdivision. I am not looking for a community with large HOA's or fancy amenities. I don't need tennis courts, clubhouses and pickle ball. I don't want to live in a community with abandoned, foreclosed, run down homes with a bunch of renters and fiscally irresponsible management. I do have to thank you for your input. I will continue with my search. Hopefully I can find a home despite my "list of demands". Hopefully my lowly $500,000 price range doesn't land me in "townhouse territory". You said there were only 5 homes in Vero in my price range and you wouldn't live in 'ANY" of them. Maybe I would. Thanks again. Have a nice day.
EDIT: IGNORE EVERYTHING I SAID I SEE YOU HAD ANOTHER THREAD AND SAID YOU'RE NOT EVEN MOVING FOR 2 YEARS.

The attitudes of people MOVING here asking for HELP are hilarious.

My condo cost $115,500. I bought it after selling my former one $250K. So your inference that somehow I'm a real estate snob is laughable. I just know what I'm talking about.

I wouldn't be so ultrasensitive to GOOD ADVICE and think you know something about the person giving it instead of just taking it for face value.

Your NON-HOA "demand" is the problem in your price range but you'll find out if you ever come here and look seriously.

Also your lack of knowledge that all HOAs are different and offer various levels of amenities or services. Some just cover the common landscaping and signage. But there is NO SUCH THING as "fiscally responsible management" in a non-HOA community. Anybody at all can move in next to you and do anything they want including pile up a bunch of cars in the driveway and in the yard on blocks for you to look at all day long. OR anybody at all can rent out their property to a bunch of low life. Always consider the WORST CASE SCENARIO.

Sampling:

11th Ct - across the street from the Indian River County Waste Disposal - FANTASTIC!
9th PL SW- south of Oslo. Great location for gunfighting parties
16th Av across from the High School - FUN!
Falcon Trace - good HOA (with all those "fancy amenities" in a undesirable out of the way SW neighborhood

Avoiding the airport traffic pattern and Rt 1 (rail) is a very narrow slice of real estate.

Lexington Ln SW, $489K with a pool but it's in an HOA and within hearing distance of the evil train - around two blocks off 20th

Last edited by huitrecouture; 04-10-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-11-2022, 06:46 AM

300 posts, read 475,866 times
Quote:

You might want to check out home insurance rates before purchasing a home. Oak Chase is mostly traditional shingle roof construction and obtaining homeowner's insurance might be challenging or very costly due to the age of the roof. Homeowner's insurance is a big topic in Florida. JMO.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:08 AM

Good point Purple. I am surely not locked in on Oak Chase. It was just a community I came across during my research. Also, thank you Couture for your input once again. I do respectfully disagree with some of your points however. I am not being ultrasensitive to ”GOOD” advice, just the tone it was being delivered. I'm also well aware that all HOA's are different and offer various levels of amenities and services. As I posted earlier.. ”I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A COMMUNITY WITH LARGE HOA's OR FANCY AMENITIES. I DON'T NEED TENNIS COURTS, CLUBHOUSES AND PICKLE BALL.” I wouldn't mind a community with a few amenities and a lower HOA.
My daughter lives in a gated community with an HOA and all the rules and regulations that don't allow residents to ”Pile up a bunch of cars in the driveway and in the yard on blocks for you to look at all day long. OR anybody at all can rent out their property to a bunch of low life.” She has no fancy clubhouses, swimming pools, tennis courts, or pickle ball. Just a gate. She has her own pool and cuts her own grass. She pays $75 a month in HOA fees. Perfect. Sign me up.
I don't know how you think that I would be such an IDIOT to not realize that NON HOA neighborhoods would have ”fiscally responsible management”. You have to be kidding me. I live in a non HOA neighborhood. Believe me, I understand how that works. I am looking for an HOA WITHOUT all the fancy amenities and FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE MANAGEMENT. I am well aware of what POOR FISCALLY IRRESPONSIBLE management is. I have seen it first hand. I have also seen well managed HOA's.
Also, I don't feel that I need to be called out by you with your statement...”EDIT: IGNORE EVERYTHING I SAID I SEE YOU HAD ANOTHER THREAD AND SAID YOU'RE NOT EVEN MOVING FOR 2 YEARS.” Yes, that was originally my plan but it looks like that time frame may be moved up a bit. Either way. I don't find it unreasonable to begin looking for an area to retire to a couple of years before you are ready to move. And I don't care if prices will SKYROCKET by then. That's fine with me, so will my home that I am living in right now. So it's meaningless to me.
Anyway, thanks once again for your input. From your ”Sampling” at the end of your last post, you obviously know the area much better than I do. Maybe you are right. I may have to learn to live with an occasional toot of a train or an airplane flying over. I think I am just a bit spoiled where I am now. It's real quiet here. So my search continues...

Old 04-11-2022, 01:12 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
I don't think you know about Vero Beach. OR East Coast Fl. Nothing that you said happens or can possibly happen.

You think hundreds if not thousands of people are moving to $600K homes (Oak Chase) to be ANNOYED?

There's new construction OUT Of the OP's price range up and down Rt 1 / Indian River Blvd. Bridgepoint gated villa townhouses $600K.

There are many many exclusive and expensive communities EAST of RT 1 up and down the East coast meaning by the RAILROAD TRACKS.

LOL VIBRATION? I live a block from the train tracks and there are barely any horns and NO VIBRATIONS FFS.

The airport is a historic landmark too, having been used for US security during wartimes.

You don't have to live near the airport to hear the planes. Oak Chase is only a couple of blocks from the Mall and you hear planes over there, too. Like in Woodfield.

55 people died in So Fl since 2017. The Miami Metro population alone is around 8 MILLION.

Just stop WALKING on the train tracks and stop going AROUND THE CROSSING GATES. Also, find another way to commit suicide.

Seems you just believe nobody should live on the East coast.

I'll take a train TOOT a couple times a day ANY DAY when I can sit on the beautiful Intracoastal, swim, fish and take my boat out right at my back door.
1-2-09 post from runwithscissors who lives near the area being discussed....

The airport is very annoying primarily in the winter. Starting in around September it became bad enough that I ruled out buying in the area because of it. I live right at the mall area not far from Royal Palm but my house is in the approach/departure path. Royal Palm is close enough that I'd wonder. Funny, I just drove up that road from the beach a half hour ago. If you want I'll check it out tomorrow. If you are the type who likes to spend time out on your porch especially listening or talking to people or even on the phone, you'd better check it out. I have to tell people to hold on when a plane is flying by till it passes. I find it very annoying and would not buy near here because of it. In fact, I just bought further south to avoid it. Now, of course a million people are going to say it's nothing, but it takes all kinds. Plenty of people live next to the El train, too. lol

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/port...ort-noise.html

This link discusses all the trains running through downtown Vero and millions being spent to improve the RR crossing to make them safe enough for trains going 40mph through a crowded downtown area:

First NEW Brightline train rolls through downtown Vero Beach - 32963 Features, 32963 News - Vero News

More info backing up my claims about bad traffic at RR crossings, and other negative issues about the increased train traffic:

https://www.citizensagainstthetrain....aboard-florida

Here's even more support for my claims about the Vero Beach airport noise...a long C-D post from 2019:

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/por...h-airport.html

I stayed at VRBO's for a month at a time along Indian River Blvd near the RR tracks, and the train horns and vibration woke me up nearly every night. I found the trains worse than the planes, but the noisy touchdown landing practice were quite loud if I was on the lanai or if any windows were open, and they did them over & over again..ugh! The airport was ~1mile to my West.

I decided not to buy anywhere near Downtown Vero, & tentatively decided upon Marbrisa & River Club over the bridge on the Island.

Then all that junk about the power company over-charging residents for electricity who lived on the Island popped up, and all the lawsuits, so we ditched the entire Vero area for Venice, FLA.

My father recently left Vero too after living there for 3 years. He moved to St. Lucie West, and likes it a lot more.

So, as readers here can see, I know quite a bit about Vero, & have stayed there enough to know the drawbacks of living in or near Downtown, or the airport. I'd still live out on the Island though. Loved Marbrisa's clubhouse on the beach

b-t-w Terry, the bartender at Bobby's Restaurant in Vero, is the best bartender of all time.

Also, I lived in Boca for 5 years, best college pal's still in Boca at Boca Teeca, SIL lives in Jonathon's Landing in Jupiter, Dad's still in St. Lucie West...I know the SE FLA very well indeed...family and friends over there...which is why I was staying there for months at a time looking for homes. I finally gave up on that side...too noisy & crowded. Nice place to visit, just won't live there...until I get older...maybe out on the Island.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-11-2022 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 01:41 PM

Great post Beach! I will be sure to read through all of those links! I have been visiting Vero since the late 70's but have always stayed on the barrier island. I have seen a lot of changes over the years but am not real familiar with the housing situation on the mainland. I'm not even sure I will be moving to Vero. Just exploring my options right now. Thanks for chiming in.....and one more thing, I can attest to the Bobby's reference. Bobby was a very good friend of my in laws and we visit there on every trip. Met many a Dodger in there over the years, back when they used to have a nice buffet in Dodgertown. Great bar. Great drinks!

Old 04-15-2022, 04:58 AM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Great post Beach! I will be sure to read through all of those links! I have been visiting Vero since the late 70's but have always stayed on the barrier island. I have seen a lot of changes over the years but am not real familiar with the housing situation on the mainland. I'm not even sure I will be moving to Vero. Just exploring my options right now. Thanks for chiming in.....and one more thing, I can attest to the Bobby's reference. Bobby was a very good friend of my in laws and we visit there on every trip. Met many a Dodger in there over the years, back when they used to have a nice buffet in Dodgertown. Great bar. Great drinks!
Same here. I've been exploring Vero since my Dad moved there, ~20 years ago. I've been to Vero to visit him ~15 times. I'd rent an airbnb or vrbo (before they cracked down) on the island (32963), or on the mainland along Indian River Blvd, to get a feel for both. I stayed a month on the island on one visit, right across from Jaycee Park on the ocean.

32963 made it to my final 2 choices to move to for semi-retirement in my early 50's. I felt the people there were too old for us at the time, so we chose Southern Sarasota County instead. I'm still considering 32963 for our last stop; probably an ocean view condo.

I like how Vero is far away from I-95, isolating it from the tourists. 32963 is further isolated by the Indian River. 32963 is the least touristy place in coastal FLA I know of...perfect for our last stop.

I love all the beach side parks, South Beach is my favorite. I came close to buying a little condo right across from the entry to the South Beach parking lot. Stayed at that cute little hotel there once. I love the little farmers market across from Humiston Beach park...small but high quality. Gotta get my Natalie's OJ fix in. We'd likely join the Yacht club to meet friends. I hope to have a boat by then.

I nixed the mainland as soon as Briteline got approved. 30 trains speeding through the center of town each day...no thanks. The Publix there is a zoo too....overcrowded, & I couldn't even find a parking spot. The North end up by the Wabasso Bridge is quieter, & I'd pop over the bridge to go to the Sebastian/Wabasso Publix. Last time I was there, they were planning to build a Publix on the island....mixed feelings on that. My Dad lived near the newer Publix just North of downtown w/ the Bagel place around the side.

It's about time I got back over there to see my Dad, & keep exploring. Season's ending, so I can get a room at the Holiday Inn next to Bobby's.

Old 04-16-2022, 05:37 AM

Good luck in your search beach. We had a condo oceanside of A1A on the barrier island but sold it in 2017. I wish we had kept it! I have been visiting Vero since the 70's and have never stayed anywhere but the barrier island. That's why I am not really familiar with the real estate once you cross the bridge to the mainland. I have driven through many of the areas over the years so I do have some knowledge of what's going on there. I made many trips to Vero Beach Country Club, Dodgertown, spring training games, Disney Vero (we are vacation club members), all the great oceanside spots, Riverside Theater, Sebastian, etc. I am definitely concerned about all the changes that have occurred over the years, including the Briteline train. We are looking for a single family home so the barrier island is not an option right now. I am not real familiar with the southern part of Vero, so I have to explore that area. I haven't been through there in a while but I remember that area as being kind of run down. I'm sure a lot has changed since my last visit there. I am also thinking of exploring the Sebastian area. There appear to be some nice homes there as well. I may end up selling my home here up north and renting for a bit down there while I continue my search. I don't want to rush into anything. As I stated earlier, I may not even end up in Vero. I have also been looking in the Stuart area. The search continues.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach