Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,404,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
OR...maybe he is just a punk who needs to be suspended to teach him a lesson. I mean, people whine and complain all the time when kids turn violent them blame the schools because "they saw the signs and didn't do anything!!". Perhaps you should be praising them for being pro-active
Maybe he is a whacko.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 10:45 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,152,529 times
I like to tell people that they have options. Home-schooling where it is legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
My 9 year-old was suspended for a day for doodling 2 stick figures, in his words "bad guys" shooting each other. He's a good kid, never gets into trouble. That's what 9 year-old boys do, they draw guns, planes, bombs, all those good things. The zero tolerance policy goes overboard, but I didn't appeal his suspension. Sadly kids have to learn to live within the bounds of the rules no matter how silly they seem. But parents have brought this on themselves with their incessant whining about every solitary thing, and now the principals are bound by zero tolerance, and can not use their discression when assessing each incident.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,016,732 times
Quote:
OR...maybe he is just a punk who needs to be suspended to teach him a lesson. I mean, people whine and complain all the time when kids turn violent them blame the schools because "they saw the signs and didn't do anything!!". Perhaps you should be praising them for being pro-active
How does it teach him a lesson? He is in kindergarten. To him, it is just a day off to watch cartoons.

If he is a problem child and shows poor behavior, the teacher should be able to pull out the ruler and spank the child.

Then agian, these days that is worse than the death penalty. Better to send him home so he can watch the latest epidsode of scooby doo. That will teach him!

I swear, Dr. Spock was the worst thing that happened to child development practices.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:05 PM

37,218 posts, read 42,542,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
How does it teach him a lesson? He is in kindergarten. To him, it is just a day off to watch cartoons.

If he is a problem child and shows poor behavior, the teacher should be able to pull out the ruler and spank the child.

Then agian, these days that is worse than the death penalty. Better to send him home so he can watch the latest epidsode of scooby doo. That will teach him!

I swear, Dr. Spock was the worst thing that happened to child development practices.
I don't know. How do schools discipline anyone these days? Or do they?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,016,732 times
Quote:
I don't know. How do schools discipline anyone these days? Or do they?
I think that's part of the problem. When I was in school, if I misbehaved, I got the hard side of the paddle and then when my mother picked me up, I got it again after my dad got home.

It was a real incentive to not misbehave, but hey, this is the enlightened age. Flip your teacher the bird, tell your mother and father to go .... themselves and you get a corner or solitude to "think" about your bad ways.

A far cry from the days where your father handed you a pocket knife and told you to go cut off a branch to be switched with (and it had better not be too small). *chuckle*

Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 AM

18,014 posts, read 15,766,449 times
(Sigh) Well, my son and two of his friends were suspended one day for "gang signing". As I was on my way to the school to see what the hell they were talking about () the mother of one of the other kids involved called me and asked me to stop by her office before I went to the school. She then informs me that she had taken care of this 'problem' and the insidious "gang signs" the school was freaking out about was our boys playing Spider Man. Holding their fingers like Peter Parker throwing webs... So I do believe that school officials are a bit quick to see malicious activity where none exists. This particular lady, who was the first to get to the school as her office is only a half block up, is a very ...formidable...gal. LMAO, she was NOT happy with this idiocy. It does not surprise me that a finger gun could get a kid suspended in these times we live in. Little boys are not allowed to even play tough these days. There seems to be a marked trend for the schools to wish our kids to be namby pamby little woosies. I am surely glad we do not live in a big city, if a rural ranching and farming area school gets this wound up over Spider Man hand, what is it like in large urban schools me wonders?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:33 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,151,768 times
Stupidity rules the public schools. No wonder society is such a mess. Zero-tolerance for critical thinking skills is really what schools practice.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:59 AM

3,645 posts, read 9,254,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
OMFG!! Fox "news" hasn't covered this story yet???
OMFG! It took this long for someone to try and digress this into yet another tedious left vs right pile of jibberish??

Quote:
I don't like zero tolerance but the article did say they had been having problems with this kid so I'm going to assume, as usual, there is more to the story.
Most likely. Wait what am I saying, the media doesn't ever distort things for the sake of attention grabbing......

Re the discipline, far as I can tell it's gone TOTALLY bizarro. I've talked to many teachers about this and subbed myself some....sure the "bad" ones are the exception, but in terms of being able to deal w/them, kids gets away with a ridiculous degree of BS nowdays, God forbid you should so much as look at them cross-eyed...teacher's authority has been shredded out of fear of the almighty lawsuit. Yet some of the silliness stuff kids do get in trouble for - I heard of one where a very young (I think about 6) boy kissed a girl and was suspended. Yeah good call, there's a sex fiend in the making

Old 03-06-2010, 11:26 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,961,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
OMFG! It took this long for someone to try and digress this into yet another tedious left vs right pile of jibberish??

Most likely. Wait what am I saying, the media doesn't ever distort things for the sake of attention grabbing......

Re the discipline, far as I can tell it's gone TOTALLY bizarro. I've talked to many teachers about this and subbed myself some....sure the "bad" ones are the exception, but in terms of being able to deal w/them, kids gets away with a ridiculous degree of BS nowdays, God forbid you should so much as look at them cross-eyed...teacher's authority has been shredded out of fear of the almighty lawsuit. Yet some of the silliness stuff kids do get in trouble for - I heard of one where a very young (I think about 6) boy kissed a girl and was suspended. Yeah good call, there's a sex fiend in the making
He should have kissed another little boy, instead.
The school would probably have given him an award for his acceptance of homosexuality.
Kiss another GIRL.........well that's just wrong and a sexual assault on feminists everywhere.
He'll NEVER do that again!
He'll just grow up (with his mind warped by these "educators") into a confused gay......who really isn't....but feels he has to be.... because he believes all women are off limits thanks to making such a huge mistake at such an early age.

Yeah.....I can see why the feminization of males in America is so evident thesedays.
I can also see how animosity can eventually turn into pure hate, as a result.

Thanks public "education" for WARPING another generation of American youth.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,615,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
OMFG!! Fox "news" hasn't covered this story yet???

They covered it when it first broke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies