Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
Why not?
1. It doesn't interest me. I usually don't watch movies that aren't based on real life. Just documentaries and biographical works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:32 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Hannity forum posters & Fox hate it. I expect Limbaugh will be frothing over another left lib Hollywood attack on America.

OK, so the politics of “Avatar” are left-wing, anti-corporate and anti-imperialist. There are even some even some indirect digs at George W. Bush and Operation Iraqi Freedom. A left-leaning Hollywood movie: no surprise there. So Third Worlders will eat it up. The Iranians, for example, should love “Avatar”--if, of course, their government would let them see it, which surely won’t happen.

I found the story line predictable and simple, and although long, it was very entertaining movie. I may see it again. One reviewer called it "Dances with Aliens".
I am right of center and I thought it was a great movie. I don't pay attention to the agenda hidden in movies. Most have them and most are left leaning but I still enjoy a great sci-fi fantasy.

I will definitely see it again.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:36 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
I've read - from people who say they've watched it - that aliens are the good guys and humans are the bad guys in the movie, except for one human quisling who joins the aliens, thereby becoming the one human good guy. Thinks of it as "Dances with Aliens". If the script is as anywhere as good as District 9, this movie may make its budget back.
District Nine was great too.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Hannity forum posters & Fox hate it. I expect Limbaugh will be frothing over another left lib Hollywood attack on America.

OK, so the politics of “Avatar” are left-wing, anti-corporate and anti-imperialist. There are even some even some indirect digs at George W. Bush and Operation Iraqi Freedom. A left-leaning Hollywood movie: no surprise there. So Third Worlders will eat it up. The Iranians, for example, should love “Avatar”--if, of course, their government would let them see it, which surely won’t happen.

I found the story line predictable and simple, and although long, it was very entertaining movie. I may see it again. One reviewer called it "Dances with Aliens".
I believe you have to see it to hate it or at least attempt to sit through it to weigh in on it. It just doesn't look like my kind of movie from the TV ads. I'm not big on fantasy movies.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
I seen it this weekend. Very pretty graphics to make you go awwwww but other then that it was to long and the action wasnt long enough. I actually enjoyed watching the blindside more

Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM

300 posts, read 430,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
1. It doesn't interest me. I usually don't watch movies that aren't based on real life. Just documentaries and biographical works.
How boring

Old 12-22-2009, 12:23 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
How boring
For people who like that sort of thing that's the sort of thing they like.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:09 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,721 times
I saw it. It was sort of like Dances with Wolves meets Waterworld.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
I saw it. It was sort of like Dances with Wolves meets Waterworld.
Waterworld?

Waterworld was quite possibly the worst movie ever made.

Thanks for playing REALLY BAD ANALOGY!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:27 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,360,632 times
Avatar I think is one of the few movies that will get a lot of press for being bashed on both sides of the political spectrum. That makes me sad since this movie is no more racist than any first-person perspective of life in an aboriginal tribe living off the land with stone-age era weaponry. Further, yeah there was probably some undercurrent of anti-corporation, anti-Bush sentiment in this movie (it was, after all, started shooting when W was still in office), with a not-too-subtle environmentalist tone at one part, but overall this is more of a David vs. Goliath type of movie than anything else.

On the other hand, the fact that it isn't being boycotted and folks from all walks of life are enjoying it speaks volumes of the great middle of America, and most people have better things to do with their time than over-analyzing every little itty bitty thing in a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies