Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can certainly understand California's fight for cleaner air, I believe they've cut down on their Red Alert Days from 200 to 100 or less. A great improvement. And whatever it takes to accomplish that!

Given all the light rail/subway lines, and the 2nd best bus system in the country, in L.A., some will make use of that option.
The thing is, it's not State wide. We aren't in a canyon like LA and we don't have the air problems. We still allow wood burning stoves and fireplaces.

Most of our buses here are usually empty, same with the trolley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

5,975 posts, read 2,791,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I can certainly understand California's fight for cleaner air, I believe they've cut down on their Red Alert Days from 200 to 100 or less. A great improvement. And whatever it takes to accomplish that!

Given all the light rail/subway lines, and the 2nd best bus system in the country, in L.A., some will make use of that option.
Sounds good and all, however, despite all of that investment in rail, light rail, subways etc etc etc, ridership levels have dropped in LA over the last decade. The system is operating at a fraction of what it once was. SF has seen huge declines as well.

2023 LA boardings were ~ 100 million LESS than 2019. And 2019 was LESS than 2015. CA ridership peaked in 2007.
Per capita transit use in Southern California has been mostly falling since 2007, and it fell between 2009 and 2011 when fuel prices were rising sharply.
https://www.metro.net/about/la-metro...rowth-in-2023/
https://scag.ca.gov/sites/main/files..._ridership.pdf

Ridership was on the DECLINE well before the CCP virus was unleashed on the world. California air quality has improved, however, CA imports energy from other states, while it dismantled it's own production. Air quality greatly improves during wet years too.

Btw, CA has some of the highest utility rates in the nation as well.

L.A. Metro Ridership Declines as Drug Use, Crime Soars

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM

4,439 posts, read 1,728,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I want healthier air, too. But I don't think my wants should come at the expense of those who can least afford it. That would be egotistical of myself, and that's what these elected officials don't understand. The rich will continue to drive their Escalade's because fifty cents per gallon means nothing to them. The middle class will groan, but absorb the cost, perhaps cutting back on other things. And the poor will get the shaft, as usual with these types of "junk fees", as I like to refer to them, because there's no reason for them to exist. Driving will not decrease, accept for the poor, so smog really won't be affected. But it will cost everyone more to do the same thing. It's the typical insanity I expect from California and it's a real shame because California is such a beautiful state. But policies like this are driving out good people.

Smog has been lessened by innovation. Fuel injection, catalytic converters, etc. Not regressive taxes that don't actually do anything except bleed the population dry.
What air do you think the poor are breathing? And how good do you think their health insurance is? As I stated earlier, I was poor AF, and lived on public transportation. I still use it on occasion these days, but not out of necessity like we did as kids. It is nit the end of the world.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

3,120 posts, read 1,776,190 times
Quote:
There is something mentally wrong with the elected officials in California. All this does is hurt the poor and widen the "wealth" gap that Democrats keep complaining about. Why are Democrats always trying to screw over the poor?
Who is dumber the elected officials or the people that keep voting for them?

Old Today, 02:33 AM

23,278 posts, read 29,140,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
And yet Canada's forests are burning and polluting the air with them doing nothing about it for the past year. So you can clean your own area and still be polluted by another entity.

Similar to global warming. We can bear the financial brunt of going electric but other countries keep burning coal or wood so our accomplishments get negated.
The largest volcanic eruption in the world occurred in Peru in the late 1600's, and the entire planet cooled off, as a result of that, for one year. There's been cooling off and heating up periods all through history, even before air pollution from cars and smokestacks.

Thank God there's weather records that have been found since 1500.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

78,667 posts, read 60,867,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
CA gas tax is the highest among all the states.
Water is wet.

Old Today, 08:09 AM

9,466 posts, read 11,226,226 times
Quote:
There is something mentally wrong with the elected officials in California. All this does is hurt the poor and widen the "wealth" gap that Democrats keep complaining about. Why are Democrats always trying to screw over the poor?
It's called being stupid and believing in the biggest agitprop campaign in years. Think of the stupidity level of those who voted them into office.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies