Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

4,407 posts, read 1,709,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Of course you are. Gimme. Better hope the person hitting your car isn't an illegal with no insurance.
You misunderstood. I said I’m okay with the debt being transferred to me as a taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Has there ever been a case when an art degree didn't lead to a low-paying job?
These days art degrees are high paying jobs. Not much fine art going on there. It's commercial art and that's big money. They're designing images in video games and movie special effects.

Old Today, 04:06 AM

39,245 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
This is nothing like the people that borrowed money to go to elite liberal arts schools and earned degrees that lead to low paying jobs.

I don't have any issue with this type of loan forgiveness.

I have an art degree and a business degree. My art University is probably one of the best in the world and it's not cheap. In my opinion, if you graduated from an elite art institute and you don't make at least $14,000 - $ 15,000 / month, there is something wrong with you.

With this said, this is definitely not political correct for me to say, I think art students should have reasonable expectations. Art is not for people who are poor. Tax payers shouldn't pay for someones' expensive hobby. It's not fair.

Old Today, 04:19 AM

39,245 posts, read 27,645,276 times
Quote:
How is this illegal? What prevents the Administration from forgiving these loans? this is not the same plan that the courts overturned a while back, this is based on previous laws relating to student loans forr attending a school that defrauded or misled students or failed to provide the promised education.
Legal or illegal, why should tax payers pay for someones' bad choice ?

There is a reason why these so called " art " schools are all closed. Most students went there had unreasonable or unrealistic expectations.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; Today at 05:28 AM..

Old Today, 04:29 AM

7,403 posts, read 3,554,248 times
Our liberal friends will justify this by saying:

1) the 1% and greedy corporations (excluding big pharma and Disney) should cover the tab
2) we send so much money to Israel, why not to college students?
3) this will make the economy stronger because debt relief will help young college theys buy their first tiny home

Old Today, 05:48 AM

59,198 posts, read 27,388,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
So, you never went to Art School. You never went out to Haight Ashbury to smoke grass with the hippies in golden Gate Park. You didn't get to Greenwich Village to explore a new gender-bending lifestyle. You never pulled an all-nighter at Studio 54 sniffing coke with Mick Jagger. What's wrong with you?

Now you work at a career that pays you enough that you'll never be a burden to family, friends, your fellow countrymen. Maybe you schlep boxes for UPS all day. Perhaps you are a dentist or a florist or a plumber. YOU are the people the government feels like they need to stick it to. You are the deplorable, the lame, the uncool.

This is the government stirring up division until it hurts.

The only question is: does this bailout include white kids? If so, it's only because they haven't figured out a way to make it exclusively for "people of color" (puke emoji) yet.
"So, you never went to Art School. You never went out to Haight Ashbury to smoke grass with the hippies in golden Gate Park. You didn't get to Greenwich Village to explore a new gender-bending lifestyle. You never pulled an all-nighter at Studio 54 sniffing coke with Mick Jagger. What's wrong with you? "

I couldn't do any of those things because I was in 'Nam for 2 tours!

Old Today, 05:55 AM

43,189 posts, read 18,342,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Our liberal friends will justify this by saying:

1) the 1% and greedy corporations (excluding big pharma and Disney) should cover the tab
2) we send so much money to Israel, why not to college students?
3) this will make the economy stronger because debt relief will help young college theys buy their first tiny home
The majority of borrowers are "non degreed borrowers" - never finished college.

"non degreed borrowers" is government speak for "college drop outs"

Old Today, 06:19 AM

7,403 posts, read 3,554,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
The majority of borrowers are "non degreed borrowers" - never finished college.

"non degreed borrowers" is government speak for "college drop outs"
i stand corrected, will now refer to them as “former college theys”

Old Today, 06:29 AM

15,492 posts, read 7,529,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Legal or illegal, why should tax payers pay for someones' bad choice ?

There is a reason why these so called " art " schools are all closed. Most students went there had unreasonable or unrealistic expectations.
The schools flat out lied to the students that borrowed money to attend and committed other frauds to entice students to attend. That's not bad choices by students, that's corporate crime designed to get money for nothing. Any high expectations were due to the corporate criminality.

Old Today, 06:44 AM

6,826 posts, read 9,374,573 times
Quote:
The schools flat out lied to the students that borrowed money to attend and committed other frauds to entice students to attend. That's not bad choices by students, that's corporate crime designed to get money for nothing. Any high expectations were due to the corporate criminality.
And why should taxpayers be on the hook for this?

Tons of people make bad deals when buying cars. Should those people have the balance of their loans paid for by taxpayers as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies