Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 07:33 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,877,725 times

Advertisements

Imagine reading a news story like this 10 years ago.

Seriously, just stop for a second and think about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 10:49 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,973,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They just needed to cut off the electricity, once those cell phones died they would have surrendered. They are out of that building now, it will be interesting to see how many are expelled or charged. Quite a bit of damage to that building.
Many of the encampments are also outdoors though.

I blame a failure of campus leadership for all this. If I was a university president, I would NOT have accomodated them by doing virtual learning and rescheduling stuff. I would remind them that all classes, activities, assignments, and exams will continue as scheduled and in-person, and protesting is not a valid excuse for absence. They will fail any exam or assignment they have an unexcused absence from and will also not be given extra time to study for their upcoming finals, and if they flunk the semester there will be no tuition refund either. They will not be allowed to make up any work that they miss. If they even have campus jobs they will be fired like anyone from any job who does two weeks straight of no call no shows or unexcused call outs for invalid reasons. Once this sinks in they might dismantle the tents.

I do wonder how they're able to have the time to do all this. I didn't go to an elite college and was never able to go for 2 weeks missing classes and not studying at all and expected to pass.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:53 PM

15,880 posts, read 21,488,248 times
They are cosplaying revolutionaries and taking away both attention and funds from the real heartbreak happening in Gaza.

I'm amazed, but maybe shouldn't be, at how many student orgs are raising money for their own legal bills with not even a nod to matching funds with organizations helping with *actual* humanitarian efforts in Gaza.

Old 05-02-2024, 12:25 AM

10,260 posts, read 15,973,745 times
If these were pro-life protestors, the university administrations wouldn't be treating them with kid gloves like they have with these people.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:20 AM

6,150 posts, read 2,765,618 times
They can get two hots and a cot at the local jail.

Old 05-06-2024, 11:34 AM

52,372 posts, read 52,836,239 times
Nothing like a raging counter-culture warrior taking over a building and whining about their rights for water and whatnot.

Some of the silliest embarrassing things I've ever seen so called adults do. I was cringing with embarrassment watching that silly fool in front of the cameras talking about their lists of demands, including vegan and gluten free hot meals.

These idiots are playing pretend cowboys and Indians.

Last edited by Chowhound; 05-06-2024 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-06-2024, 12:11 PM

43,335 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
They are cosplaying revolutionaries and taking away both attention and funds from the real heartbreak happening in Gaza.

I'm amazed, but maybe shouldn't be, at how many student orgs are raising money for their own legal bills with not even a nod to matching funds with organizations helping with *actual* humanitarian efforts in Gaza.
Are you forgetting...they are the "me, me and only me" generation.

Old Today, 11:45 AM

38,090 posts, read 22,239,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We got here due to the BLM Movement, the lack of ANY CONSEQUENCES for burning, looting, disruption and 2 Democrat Presidents, the Anti-Law Enforcement + Soros bought and paid for District Attorneys and Attorney Generals.

A cheerleader Media bears a lot of the blame, as does a Corrupt Judiciary and feckless Congress.
We had almost 600 violent BLM riots in 2020. If even five people went to prison for the burning, looting, and personal and public destruction and assaults on people, there should have been thousands of people persecuted and sent to prison.

Instead, few if any rioters in 2020 have paid the price. Even Joe [LASTMANE] Biden's campaign was donating to bail out these violent protesters in 2020.

Old Today, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 3,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Protesting students want Columbia to provide and bring food and water into the building they took over for students who paid for a meal plan, or they will die from dehydration and starvation. And Columbia should bring water or allow the protesters to bring in food as required basic humanitarian aid.

They should be embarrassed, but I'm sure Columbia will provide what they are asking for.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1785429184757862641
If anybody at first glance thought the students were wanting humanitarian aid provided for the war ravaged people in Palestine, then it was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies