Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2024, 05:59 PM

18,870 posts, read 8,514,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That IDK. He had no income at the time because the injury forced him to stop work.
Very likely they will send him to collection. And these days easy to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 05:59 PM

33,574 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
We can't find the money for a national healthcare system to help US citizens as an essential service much like we fund the fire fighters or police officers,
Shouldn't we demand more of our elected officials to spend some of that money at home here on taking care of our wellbeing?
I agree, but I live in Canada. Here our taxes are spent on our people's needs, not the materials for wars in other countries.

Everybody is going to need more health care as they age. I am 83 years old and in the past three years I have been hospitalized three times, had a pacemaker installed among other health problems. If it were not for our healthcare system I would be living on the street.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:21 PM

15,569 posts, read 7,583,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How are donations not included in "a variety of ways?" And NPOs (Non-Profit Organizations), by definition, have no profits to tax.
That's not really true. Non-profits pay taxes on income that's not related to their non-profit purpose. I've been on the board of a couple of non-profits that had to pay taxes on unrelated income.

Also, non-profit does not mean the entity does not make a profit - many of them do make a profit, it means it is organized not to make profits for distribution to owners.

Old 05-02-2024, 08:22 PM

8,167 posts, read 3,713,229 times
Quote:
Again, why wasn't he put on a payment plan?
I'm just explaining to you what charity care means in the hospital context. That's all.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:19 PM

7,528 posts, read 5,776,147 times
If you want to hear how really ****ed up we are listen to this guy. Shawn Ryan has some great shows and this guy was born in Afghanistan who is now a grateful American and works for intel agencies.

We fund the Taliban but can't take care of our own people

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2k5...T8ifBz52MoW_MA

Old 05-02-2024, 10:22 PM

32,133 posts, read 15,129,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
In theory, yes. In reality, healthcare claims are denied or only partially reimbursed all the time.

I went to a private dental clinic through the blue shield network, paid out of pocket, and my employer provided healthcare (Geoblue) decided they weren't going to make the full reimbursement because "I didn't submit the correct receipts." Mind you, I submitted the exact same paperwork for a previous dental procedure they fully reimbursed me for. Luckily, the cost wasn't much for both visits.

In summary, never get cavities, stay healthy, and be prepared to go to Mexico or Turkey to get expensive medical procedures done. Because your claim might get denied.
No one has great dental insurance. No idea why. We always have to pay upfront with dentists. Then they submit it to insurance and we get partially reimbursed. Not sure why your employer has any say.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:37 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,229,720 times
Why would anyone want to start a company thinking they have to basically adopt someone.

Old 05-03-2024, 05:22 AM

89,291 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That's not really true. Non-profits pay taxes on income that's not related to their non-profit purpose. I've been on the board of a couple of non-profits that had to pay taxes on unrelated income.

Also, non-profit does not mean the entity does not make a profit - many of them do make a profit, it means it is organized not to make profits for distribution to owners.
The point is that taxpayers aren't funding them, as the other poster mistakenly believes. Not-for-profit hospitals and health systems essentially have two sources of funding:

1) Revenue from operations and investments

and/or

2) They borrow funds through issuance of debt in the bond markets or other forms of borrowing (bank LOCs, etc.)

Old 05-03-2024, 06:02 AM

51,011 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
The point is that taxpayers aren't funding them, as the other poster mistakenly believes. Not-for-profit hospitals and health systems essentially have two sources of funding:

1) Revenue from operations and investments

and/or

2) They borrow funds through issuance of debt in the bond markets or other forms of borrowing (bank LOCs, etc.)
Provided a link that shows they are at least partially funding charity care.

Old 05-03-2024, 06:25 AM

89,291 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Provided a link that shows they are at least partially funding charity care.
No, you didn't. You posted a link that said the state and fed governments give not-for-profit corps tax breaks. Well, no kidding. The entire point of not-for-profits is that they have little to no profits to tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies