Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 09:03 AM

7,527 posts, read 5,773,694 times

Advertisements

I grew up watching Dan. First on a black and white, then in color both with rabbit ears and some added tin foil. It is shocking that only a very short time ago journalists entire career's were ended due to bad reporting. Now? How to write hit pieces that have no basis in fact and used to manipulate the weak minded are the norm.

Journalism really is dead and the only difference between our news and chinas is that the Chinese know their news is party propaganda. Journalism is really dead.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/disgra...ears-interview

Old 04-26-2024, 09:31 AM

59,284 posts, read 27,456,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I grew up watching Dan. First on a black and white, then in color both with rabbit ears and some added tin foil. It is shocking that only a very short time ago journalists entire career's were ended due to bad reporting. Now? How to write hit pieces that have no basis in fact and used to manipulate the weak minded are the norm.

Journalism really is dead and the only difference between our news and chinas is that the Chinese know their news is party propaganda. Journalism is really dead.

"Now? How to write hit pieces that have no basis in fact"

Applies to rather back when he said "We have lost the war", when standing in Saigon when in fact we had just won the war according to the top General in charge of the North 'nam army.

And said he could not understand why we pulled out.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:37 AM

21,979 posts, read 9,562,060 times
Rather is an embarrassment. If you don't believe me, go read his Twitter feed.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:53 AM

52,347 posts, read 52,808,634 times
Journalism has been dead for a long time now. Trump really is the one that exposed just how biased the media and news reporting is.

I've really been red pilled the last few years on just how corrupt the MSM is in terms of spreading propaganda and narratives that the left and the elites want to spread or keep hidden.

I really implore people to really pay attention to news headlines. Read the headline, read the article and read the same story from a few sources. If you can be objective and push aside any biases and work to be intellectually honest, you'll see how incredibly dishonest so much of the reporting is.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:56 AM

50,478 posts, read 47,209,181 times
News started the now out of control garbage based on popularity. Hit that like button. It's about money now, was then too. The biggest tragedy got all the headlines. Same as today. If there wasn't one make one up.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Rather is an embarrassment. If you don't believe me, go read his Twitter feed.
People like Rather are just trying to stay employed. The man isn't stupid, but he sees the landscape around him and instead of sticking to what he came up with, he went the limp noodle route and just fell inline with how the industry changed.

He unfortunately didn't have enough backbone to stick to the hard news and drank the corporate news Kool-Aid.

It's kind of sad, I grew up back in the day when you had just three major news networks and most people got their nightly news and rightly or wrongly, felt like we were getting it straight down the line.

Were we, I don't know. Today's 24-hour media outlets everywhere the news cycle is endless.

Old 04-26-2024, 01:49 PM

6,152 posts, read 4,630,631 times
Quote:

I personally liked Dan Rather in those days (or maybe a little after those days), even though he made a big professional mistake that cost him in his career. It was just a little sad seeing someone who had once been a staple of what we thought of as "the news" having their career turned on its head like that, especially given the garbage that held out as "news" nowadays, but worse than the old tabloids you'd see in the supermarket checkout (let alone the dumpster fires of places like Facebook, etc.).

Overall, I agree with the premise of what you are saying considering the decline in objective journalism, that covered the basic 5 Ws (who, what, when, where, why) and gave some perspective, but there was a professional boundary on what was news and what was opinion.

Not that the other major cable "news" stations (and some less than major ones) do a good job with reporting the objective truth, but I think it's ironic that you're using Fox News as a source, given that Fox's own lawyers literally made a legal argument (McDougal v. Fox News Network, LLC) that you can't believe what its anchor Tucker Carlson (Rupert Murdoch's cash cow who Fox held out as a newsman) says.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/g...porting-facts/

Old 04-26-2024, 03:48 PM

5,966 posts, read 2,781,239 times
Dan Rather, a life of journalism and meteoric fall

Dan Rather was the OG of the whole Fake News movement. Obviously there were many others before him, but when someone like that goes down for spreading Fake News, a talking-head puppet to his corporate masters, for most Americans it became the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. It became clear just how corrupt and lyin' the mainstream media had become.

Old 04-26-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAN_Man View Post
Dan Rather, a life of journalism and meteoric fall

Dan Rather was the OG of the whole Fake News movement. Obviously there were many others before him, but when someone like that goes down for spreading Fake News, a talking-head puppet to his corporate masters, for most Americans it became the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. It became clear just how corrupt and lyin' the mainstream media had become.
I wonder if it's always been corrupted but it's just more out there now and we have much more access to various information sources.

Old 04-26-2024, 05:01 PM

30,482 posts, read 21,362,243 times
Quote:

He told the trooff about Bush and got canned man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media