Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 10:21 AM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This is hilarious. The most used argument (which is invalid) against homeschooling has always been something about "socialization." Now, we have people arguing that kids should be isolated to achieve some perceived level of safety from an extraordinarily rare crime. How times have changed.
The irony is rather rich.

As far as shooters in schools...

There's no negotiating with cray-cray. Someone who is determined to take out students and faculty will not be deterred by anything other than lethal force, whether that be facing an armed "swat-like" team, or otherwise tackled and disarmed after someone using some kind of flash-bang to confuse them.

Bottom-line: Cray-Cray needs to be eliminated when threatening and/or harming others. Highly trained protection resources are necessary. Whether that's teachers or others, I can't say what's best, only that it's needed.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:39 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times
Imagine being a teacher, huddled in your classroom with your students, waiting to be executed like fish in a barrel by the gunman who has entered your school, with absolutely no way to defend yourself or the children. Teachers should have the option to be armed. If we can't trust them with a firearm, we sure as hell shouldn't trust them to teach our children.

Old 04-10-2024, 10:52 AM

39,203 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yea, I agree.

I think this only makes the problem worse.

Will the teachers be paid more to act as security guards?
Well if I am the teacher, and I am a legal gun owner who has some trainings, I would like to have a chance to defend myself, save the children. Who wants to just play dead in the situation of mass shooting?

Old 04-10-2024, 10:53 AM

39,203 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Imagine being a teacher, huddled in your classroom with your students, waiting to be executed like fish in a barrel by the gunman who has entered your school, with absolutely no way to defend yourself or the children. Teachers should have the option to be armed. If we can't trust them with a firearm, we sure as hell shouldn't trust them to teach our children.
Exactly. A chance to self defend, I don't see the problem with that

Old 04-10-2024, 11:02 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Absolutely stupid.

All this is going to do is create a situation where a bunch of untrained people are carrying around loaded firearms. Nothing good will come from this.
Why do you assume teachers don't have training, or military background? In my Florida county our sheriff will train teachers and other civil service employees as required.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:08 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe true. The Covenant school did not have a resource officer (private school) and the police responded quickly to the call. Ten minutes from the time a call was received until they entered the school, four minutes later the shooter was taken out.

I don't know if the legislators researched other schools that allow teachers to carry handguns or not but I think that would be an important step in this decision-making. I don't have any strong feelings about it one way or another but I do think the teachers, administrators, parents, and members of the community should have a say regarding their school district and their preferences be given weight in this decision.
The Nashville police did an excellent job. But even so, 10 minutes is an eternity when you're huddling in a classroom and there's a shooter out in the hallway, going from room to room. Teachers who want to carry and who have been trained in the use of their weapon should be allowed to carry.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:16 AM

18,044 posts, read 15,639,191 times
There can't be just one and only one solution. It really must be multi-tiered, to include ways for kids and teachers to protect themselves from flying bullets. A lot of work has been done to understand the different measures needed after Parkland. SafeSchoolsForAlex.org is a non-profit founded by one of the parents in FL whose son was murdered by the Parkland monster. He's compiled a lot of resources for parents, teachers, and school administrators.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:16 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
When seconds count the police are just minutes away.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:13 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The Nashville police did an excellent job. But even so, 10 minutes is an eternity when you're huddling in a classroom and there's a shooter out in the hallway, going from room to room. Teachers who want to carry and who have been trained in the use of their weapon should be allowed to carry.
I don't disagree. Just saying arming teachers is not because the police don't care or have a stake in the school or kids. I still believe those personally involved including parents should have their voices heard in this decision.

Old 04-10-2024, 12:17 PM

4,152 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Absolutely stupid.

All this is going to do is create a situation where a bunch of untrained people are carrying around loaded firearms. Nothing good will come from this.
So you are saying gun free zone is a butter solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies