Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 02:59 PM

1,216 posts, read 507,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Believe it or not, adultery has been a crime in New York for over 100 years according to Section 255.17 of the state penal code.

The state Senate voted Wednesday and the bill easily passed, 57-4, according to a New York State Senate post on X. It will now head to Gov. Kathy Hochul's desk for consideration.

Adultery is still a crime in 15 other U.S. states, mostly as a misdemeanor, though Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Michigan treat it as a felony offense.
However, any time someone tries to take one of these laws off the statute books, they are opposed by religious and conservative groups, despite the fact that the adultery laws do not appear to accomplish their goals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/n...law-crime.html

Adultery relates to the right to privacy in three ways: as a protected marital choice, as a relationship embraced by the freedom of association, and as an act protected by the individual's interest in sexual privacy.

BTW: adultery is not a crime in any European country. Americans condemn adultery, but many Europeans don't, and probably never will. Nearly all Europeans are also okay with premarital sex, but every third American thinks it is unacceptable.
Thank God for religion then. Imagine cheering on cheating on your spouse wow. I don't why you people always compare the USA to Europe when the USA is in the Americas, weird. Oh and and wait until the Muslims start making the laws over in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 03:16 PM

7,911 posts, read 3,454,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Thank God for religion then. Imagine cheering on cheating on your spouse wow. I don't why you people always compare the USA to Europe when the USA is in the Americas, weird. Oh and and wait until the Muslims start making the laws over in Europe.
If Europeans really think it's OK to cheat on your spouse then I'm starting to root for the muslims that are taking that hedonistic land over. But I don't really think Europeans think it's OK to cheat on your spouse. At least, not the ones getting cheated on. Maybe the ones doing the cheating do.

Old 04-06-2024, 03:23 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
I out processed someone in the military in the mid-1980s after he served his time for adultery. He was married and the female that he unwisely committed adultery with was an officer's daughter. I saw no other cases during the 2 years that I worked in that job.

I wonder though, especially after seeing MI on the list of still having it on the books, if those that support Sharia Law may want it to stay, or with people coming in from 180 different countries, what the future of adultery might be. I believe it is an irresponsible and immoral behavior, and I have seen it destroy about every marriage that it happened in when one partner was doing it.

If only the worst issue NY had was adultery still having been on the books as a crime. Imagine had they prosecuted that, while releasing suspected murderers that flee the state.

https://www.advocatekhoj.com/library...artial%20crime.

"In USA, laws vary from state to state. Although rarely prosecuted, but adultery is still on the statute books and penalty may vary from a fine of few dollars to even life sentence. But in US military, it is an impending court-martial crime."

Old 04-07-2024, 07:53 AM

24,608 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Really rather stunning that these archaic rules are still on the books in many states.
The power of America's religious origins.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:00 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,488,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I wonder who was the last person to be prosecuted for adultery.
I am surprised they didn't try to go after Trump for this.

Old 04-07-2024, 11:59 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
We used to joke in NY that if Adultery was prosecuted America's Mayor would be serving a life sentence. Same for The Donald

Old 04-07-2024, 12:09 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Just none of my business, nor the government's business IMO.
Generally, I agree.

But if the person is a politician, IMO, it is the business of that person's constituents/potential constituents, and is most important of all re someone aspiring to be POTUS.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
... or any point to the marriage whatsoever.

I have a pretty low opinion of marriage in the first place. But if one is going to be a vamp or gigolo, it makes no sense to be married at all to me. Or should I say less sense, since it doesn't make that much sense to me regardless.
^^^^^ My view = same.

Old 04-07-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I think I read somewhere that they are attempting make paternity test mandatory. I think this is a great idea.
Out in California, unless the law has changed, if a wife cheats on her husband and gets pregnant by the guy she cheats with, the husband is financially responsible for the child re being deemed in the best interest of the child .

Old 04-07-2024, 01:05 PM

16,559 posts, read 8,592,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Believe it or not, adultery has been a crime in New York for over 100 years according to Section 255.17 of the state penal code.

The state Senate voted Wednesday and the bill easily passed, 57-4, according to a New York State Senate post on X. It will now head to Gov. Kathy Hochul's desk for consideration.

Adultery is still a crime in 15 other U.S. states, mostly as a misdemeanor, though Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Michigan treat it as a felony offense.
However, any time someone tries to take one of these laws off the statute books, they are opposed by religious and conservative groups, despite the fact that the adultery laws do not appear to accomplish their goals.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/n...law-crime.html

Adultery relates to the right to privacy in three ways: as a protected marital choice, as a relationship embraced by the freedom of association, and as an act protected by the individual's interest in sexual privacy.

BTW: adultery is not a crime in any European country. Americans condemn adultery, but many Europeans don't, and probably never will. Nearly all Europeans are also okay with premarital sex, but every third American thinks it is unacceptable.
I suspect it is more than 1/3 of Americans, but even if that figure is correct that is a lot of our population (110,000,000).

As to adultery being illegal in some states, that is the way we have our republic set up. I'd rather have it that way, than a one size fits all federal decree from DC. If the people in certain states want to create or abolish laws, that is within their rights. Heck look at what Florida just did with their new anti-squatter law. How much you want to bet other states (without insane legislators) will be following suit.

In some ways it actually makes sense to make it illegal, if for no other reason not everyone is religious, and our society is becoming less so. Our society thrives and survives by having healthy well educated and rounded new members of our country via our children. The more stable the nuclear family, the greater chance of the kids turning out right.
So if Joe doesn't fear the law of God, at least he might think twice before committing adultery because of mans law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies