Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2023, 09:24 AM

3,497 posts, read 1,520,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Too bad if people are uncomfortable. Carry a gun if you are concerned about being attacked.
I think the combination of wearing a face mask and carrying a gun is sort of what people fear the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Masks have been an absolute boon to the criminal class for 3 solid years. It is about time cities woke up to it and banned mask wearing in public. No hoodies up either.
You really think the lawless underclass of society have been wearing N-95 masks while holding their victims at gunpoint?

Old 12-02-2023, 09:32 AM

43,691 posts, read 18,720,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
You really think the lawless underclass of society have been wearing N-95 masks while holding their victims at gunpoint?
Why N95? Any mask will do.

Wearing a mask helped the criminals "blend in" as well as conceal their identity.
That was reported on back in 2020.

https://www.newsweek.com/criminals-u...i-warn-1504637
An increase in the use of surgical masks amid the novel coronavirus health crisis is proving to be a unique challenge for law enforcement nationwide.

Recommended by health officials to limit the spread of COVID-19, face coverings are now making life difficult for police tasked with identifying and apprehending crooks. They warn criminals are taking advantage of the situation to blend in with the public.

Police say investigations involving the cheap and now-common item have spiked in recent weeks, popping up in armed robberies across the country

Old 12-02-2023, 10:17 AM

12,199 posts, read 6,378,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Hopefully they enforce this the next time Antifa holds a rally.
That is just it. The mask ban is only in places where criminals aren't, for the most part. Schools? Government buildings? Parks? Yes, watch out for that masked, hardened criminal sneaking into your kid's daycare to steal diapers and crayons.

The criminals are on the street and heading for smash-and-grabs, car jackings, drive-by's, juggings, follow-homes, shoplifting.

About the only place where this might help is on public transportation, and who is going to enforce it? The bus driver? The bus driver is going to demand that people on his bus take off their masks? You have got to be kidding?

This is a ridiculous implementation. Good luck with it.

A much better solution would be to make it an aggravating circumstance in a crime. Automatic 5-years additional sentence for wearing a mask in the commission of a felony crime, automatic 1-year additional during a misdemeanor.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:18 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,662,062 times
Watch the pro-Palestine protestors. 95% of them have a mask on to hide who they are, because if they were found out they'd be fired from jobs and school.

when we had to wear covid masks, i was always wondering what banks would require. because wearing a mask in a bank usually meant you were a bank robber.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:26 AM

43,691 posts, read 18,720,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Watch the pro-Palestine protestors. 95% of them have a mask on to hide who they are, because if they were found out they'd be fired from jobs and school.

when we had to wear covid masks, i was always wondering what banks would require. because wearing a mask in a bank usually meant you were a bank robber.
I teased the bank folks about that when I went in there wearing a mask.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why N95? Any mask will do.

Yeah, that was kind of my point. Clearly my attempt at some sarcastic humor fell flat and failed. I need to better hone my material before taking it on the road. I might have to keep my day job.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:30 AM

7,111 posts, read 2,807,713 times
Quote:
Good luck with that. When it's cold I'll wear a mask. And no puissant city councilman is going to tell me otherwise. Just like we wear neck gaiters in the desert to reduce sand and dust exposure.

"It aims to create a safer, more transparent and loving community,"

This is a 1st Amendment issue. The government cannot institute a dress code for the public. This was fought in the 50 and 60's with women's skirts. And to this day schools are trying to force kids into dress codes. It is basically sharia law.

"It's incumbent upon us as a city to deliver that support and to prioritize that over making enforcement harsher on young Black men in our city in ways that might not even be Constitutional," she said.

I "get it" that it's to dissuade criminals and feral youths, but it makes me want to go to the City of Dopeheads and wear a mask just so I can sue the heck out of them and retire.

Too bad if people are uncomfortable. Carry a gun if you are concerned about being attacked.

During the day, council also banned food trucks from operating along two busy blocks along Girard Avenue... They can't even let people earn a honest living in that trash dump of a city.

I think maybe it's time to stop allowing local laws. Perhaps all laws should be made by state legislatures. Most cities are the root of corruption, how many thousands of city council people and commissioners have been arrested over the years for everything from pedophilia to DUI, to bribery? Mostly because City Council members are largely ignorant people who are there to massage their own egos, and either get set up for higher office or to control their community. NOT serve, I said, Control.
You can wear your mask outdoors, but you should be required to remove it indoors. People should not be permitted to attempt to defeat facial recognition software or other means by law enforcment or store security.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:38 AM

6,928 posts, read 3,140,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
or other means by law enforcement or store security.
That is exactly the concern and obvious trend that we've been observing. We are not talking about surgical masks trying to protect the elderly and immuno-compromised.

No Shirt , no service.
Concealing your physical identity, no service.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:38 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,432,725 times
Quote:
Good luck with that. When it's cold I'll wear a mask. And no puissant city councilman is going to tell me otherwise. Just like we wear neck gaiters in the desert to reduce sand and dust exposure.

"It aims to create a safer, more transparent and loving community,"

This is a 1st Amendment issue. The government cannot institute a dress code for the public. This was fought in the 50 and 60's with women's skirts. And to this day schools are trying to force kids into dress codes. It is basically sharia law.

"It's incumbent upon us as a city to deliver that support and to prioritize that over making enforcement harsher on young Black men in our city in ways that might not even be Constitutional," she said.

I "get it" that it's to dissuade criminals and feral youths, but it makes me want to go to the City of Dopeheads and wear a mask just so I can sue the heck out of them and retire.

During the day, council also banned food trucks from operating along two busy blocks along Girard Avenue... They can't even let people earn a honest living in that trash dump of a city.

I think maybe it's time to stop allowing local laws. Perhaps all laws should be made by state legislatures. Most cities are the root of corruption, how many thousands of city council people and commissioners have been arrested over the years for everything from pedophilia to DUI, to bribery? Mostly because City Council members are largely ignorant people who are there to massage their own egos, and either get set up for higher office or to control their community. NOT serve, I said, Control.

Would it offend your sensibilities less if the state of Pennsylvania banned ski masks? Because an awful lot of the morons at the state level started out as city council folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies