Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 04:36 PM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
President Biden acknowledged Monday that prices are still “too high” and argued that companies should lower them after an 18% jump in consumer costs since he took office.

Some kind of idiot he is.
Surprised he didn't do what many on C-D do. Tell people that prices are fine and all they need to do is clip coupons, look for specials, and buy lower-quality items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 04:37 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Looks like we are. The vendors and stores keep raising prices and consumers keep buying. You wanna stop inflation. Not much we can do about the government, but consumers could just stop shopping.

Just read on Axios about Thanksgiving and Black Friday online shopping. Consumers spent almost 25 Billion in 2 days online shopping. That's up a tad from last year. What inflation?
They are going into debt over it. Look at CC balances and defaults....over $1 trillion in CC debt now.

Remember ...boomer and silents have lived through high inflation (70-80's).
The younger crowds....only through recessions and they didn't last all that long.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:39 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I'm surprised someone in the White House is not down in the basement looking for an old box of those 1974 WIN buttons. This was Gerald Ford's first measure to fight inflation, with lapel buttons that said WIN (Whip Inflation Now). It takes more than slogans, speeches or buttons to whip inflation. Ford and later Carter found that out the hard way in their re-election defeats.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:42 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
They are going into debt over it. Look at CC balances and defaults....over $1 trillion in CC debt now.

Remember ...boomer and silents have lived through high inflation (70-80's).
The younger crowds....only through recessions and they didn't last all that long.
don't forget older gen x, most of them lived through it too..

according to crone, as long as people are going into debt buying stuff, inflation doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone
What inflation?

Old 11-27-2023, 04:42 PM

6,365 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Looks like we are. The vendors and stores keep raising prices and consumers keep buying. You wanna stop inflation. Not much we can do about the government, but consumers could just stop shopping.

Just read on Axios about Thanksgiving and Black Friday online shopping. Consumers spent almost 25 Billion in 2 days online shopping. That's up a tad from last year. What inflation?
That's ONLINE shopping, how much of that was just a shift from In-Person to Online? Did total sales between the two go up? What was the amount AFTER it's adjusted for inflation?

I spent more over Black Friday this year, but most of it was necessities.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:47 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:

I bought a few things, things I needed while I could get them cheaper.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:09 PM

6,781 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I bought a few things, things I needed while I could get them cheaper.
Same. I bought two items on Black Friday, but neither of them were frivolous or very expensive, just stuff that I normally buy, but bought in bulk at a discount because of the sale. I try to do what I can to shield myself from the impact of Democrat policy and inflation.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:11 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
He must think the US is a nation of idiots.
Based on some recent events, I think the majority of people living in the U.S. are idiots.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:11 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's only up 18% since he took office? Somehow, I find that hard to believe.
Xoe is doing a bang-up job, yes? I mean for his employer, Chyyynnnaaa. Titular POTUS, that's Xoe in a nutshell. And I do mean nutshell. Nothing personal to the nuts out there.

Quote:
ROFL....new Federal taxes hit in 2023. Unions got record raises in 2023 and Biden cheered them.

And he wants companies to lower prices......

Go pound sand Mr. President and stop trying to throw blame where it does not belong.
Xoe will be starring in the remake of the movie "Clueless." He's spent his entire adult--if you can call it that--life almost totally detached from reality, ridin' that train back and forth to DC.

Term Limits. POTUS: 8 years. Sinate: 12 years. House: 12 years. Lifer Bureaucrats: 12 years.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:13 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Big ask from someone who has been on the taxpayer dole their whole working life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies