Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 06:01 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,085,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
https://imgur.io/a/4HEXJPy

What happens when we continue to give underqualified people positions in management and other specialties that require advanced degrees in the name of diversity, equity, and inclusion? What happens when progressives occupy positions in HR nationwide and push this at basically every publicly traded corporation? Should be interesting to watch.
If that was to happen it would have happened by now.

Right now there is a push against diversity and euqality...th biggest push I've ever seen (I'm 64). I grew up in the 70's when affirmative action, diversity and equality programs began their roll.

It didn't necessarily lead to a competency crisis.

So NOW when companies, individuals, society is fighting against diversity and quality why would it come to a crisis now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 06:15 PM

43,336 posts, read 18,466,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
If that was to happen it would have happened by now.

Right now there is a push against diversity and euqality...th biggest push I've ever seen (I'm 64). I grew up in the 70's when affirmative action, diversity and equality programs began their roll.

It didn't necessarily lead to a competency crisis.

So NOW when companies, individuals, society is fighting against diversity and quality why would it come to a crisis now.
Their ESG ratings are based on this now.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,323,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Was I a diversity hire as the first woman to hold a management position in the newsroom, or was I simply the most qualified candidate? Was I making a diversity hire when I added women to the newsroom staff, or was I hiring the best writer or the person with the greatest potential?

So how's that news organization you work for doing these days, business-wise?

Old 07-11-2023, 07:38 PM

30,122 posts, read 18,733,694 times
Quote:

What happens when we continue to give underqualified people positions in management and other specialties that require advanced degrees in the name of diversity, equity, and inclusion? What happens when progressives occupy positions in HR nationwide and push this at basically every publicly traded corporation? Should be interesting to watch.
Well...................... you can already see it in action.

Putting people in a position for which they are not qualified helps no one.

1. It harms the reputation of the business or university which will suffer from substandard performance.
2. It places the employee in an uncomfortable position of "being in over their head", such that job performance will be further compounded by anxiety and fear over repeated failures.
3. Substandard performance puts the business or institution at a competitive disadvantage to other places of employment who hire competent people.
4. It generates animosity among employees in seeing someone who is unqualified be hired/promoted when they are not, simply due to race. In such situations, employees become apathetic, as they witness that the institution values race over performance, such that there is no incentive to do a good job.

A family friend who was an upper level exec at Wells Fargo was given an "early retirement" and his position was given to a black woman. After working with her for a month prior to his formal departure, it was abundantly clear that this woman was not only not very intelligent, but was completely unprepared for the position she was taking. It was clear that her being placed in such a position would lead to poor decisions and performance in that area.

Affirmative action is like forcing an NBA team to play a midget on the floor. A midget would, by default, suffer from poor performance and compromise the team (and upset the fans) when competing against other teams.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:12 PM

7,677 posts, read 8,755,963 times
Do they apply diversity or equity policies to Test Pilot candidates? Shouldn't they if it's test flying a Boeing?

Old 07-11-2023, 08:24 PM

9,463 posts, read 11,223,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Are you saying that positions that require advanced degrees are given to people who don't have the required degrees?

FWIW, I know people who have degrees for the positions they hold, but they have no people or management skills. I've been witness to competency crises since the 70s and it had nothing to do with diversity, equity or inclusion.
Indeed. There are paper qualifications and then there are rubber meets the road qualifications. The worship of the almighty college degree, while not looking at other skills and experience and of course common sense, is a ride down a rough road.

Today degrees are given to people who "deserve" them vs. people who actually earn them. Ditto jobs.

Again, those who think that people--cops, firefighters, EMTs, ER docs, physicians in general, pilots, traffic engineers, air traffic controllers, attorneys, computer programmers and other geek positions, coaches, teachers...you name it, the "fairness" mob demands exactly the opposite of what MLK fought for for decades.

The commie countries and other thugocracies often hand out positions of power to friends. That is not how a functioning society works. The USA of 1953 would be horrified and probably would not believe the foolhardiness and utter rubbish that's being spouted off by those with the loudest voices.

Old 07-11-2023, 08:33 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:

Why are you using a post from someone who, by the language used, is basically a racist?

Old 07-12-2023, 12:21 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,302,670 times
YEL! It's already started. The only way you aren't seeing it is if you aren't paying ANY attention

Old 07-12-2023, 06:40 AM

19,899 posts, read 9,458,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's worse on those minorities that do have the skill and are still stereotyped.
They do not want to be seen as "diversity hires" because their peers shun them as being less skilled.

I worked with one or two that felt that way. I felt that way as a female engineer when travel offers came up.
That was back in the 90's when the push was for more women in technology.
I turned down one promotion and a few travel positions ....I was not qualified. I knew it and they knew it..but corporate wanted more women in higher positions.

Although I did tell my manager I would pull the "girl card" if a trip to Hawaii came up
PREACH!!!

That is what I said almost from "Day One"! It is not fair and it is not right that minorities who are brighter and harder-working than many whites (and probably most whites) will suffer.

One of the top three bosses I had in my entire life was a black female and for a time, my kids had a wonderful black male dentist, but I absolutely 100% hate the fact that I will have a few inner misgivings if assigned a young black doctor in the future -- actually, ANY young doctor of any skin color. That is not right for me to think that way, I know, but the thought will go through my mind as to whether s/he is qualified.

Old 07-12-2023, 07:39 AM

42,000 posts, read 75,358,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If that's the case then why was their skin color so important for that "diversity hire" checkbox ?
How does a hiring manager make any decision about filling an open position? Your question doesn't have anything to do with the fact that hiring an employee to increase diversity in the workplace does not mean that employee is not qualified for the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So how's that news organization you work for doing these days, business-wise?
Still going strong. Are you insinuating that a female-led organization is destined to fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
The commie countries and other thugocracies often hand out positions of power to friends. That is not how a functioning society works. The USA of 1953 would be horrified and probably would not believe the foolhardiness and utter rubbish that's being spouted off by those with the loudest voices.
Do you really think that favortism and nepotism don't exist in the US workplace in 2023? Or that they didn't exist in 1953? How naive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies