Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 05:27 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,367,153 times

Advertisements

I don't have an issue with this. Life is not easy, and our species still has lots of strong irrational emotional impulses and drives that can be hard to control. Those who have never suffered through prolonged anxiety and/or depression can't really understand what it's like. Or say you have anger that just turns itself on because of the way your brain is wired with an extra large amygdala. You can't take a magic pill to turn yourself into a peaceful, socially well adjusted person. Mental work and mindfulness can gradually change a person. Having a woman "save" that pining incel might work, but that almost never happens. A person has to fix themselves. That can be too tough for some to want to do.

I never understood this obsession with wanting to live, but I guess my life has never been super joyful. It's alright. I wouldn't do it, but I can see why someone would want too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 06:00 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,039,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I know a lot of people with permanent problems because of the life choices government allows us to make. For example, I know several alcoholics with debilitating diseases who continue to drink, knowing full well it's going to kill them. I call that slow suicide. It's not my place to tell someone they cannot go through life that way. The individual has to make that choice. That's all part of accepting basic freedom.

The brainwashing and cutting off children's pee pees or whatever they do is what really freaks me out. There are lefties here who say we have to accept this, because many conservatives have their children circumcised. I cannot reason with people who use broken logic to make their case.

Does someone else kill and slaughter your animal meat for you, or do you do it yourself? There's a lot of messy things people no longer do themselves anymore. Life is more about convenience and efficiency these days. We can take our pets in to be suicided any time we choose, even if they are completely healthy.
BTW I do admit there was a time when I contemplated suicide, and I would certainly have considered going to steps of going to the process of physician-Assisted Suicide if it was legal in my area. However I recovered from it and no longer suicidal. After all suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

BTW

You don't solve problems by getting rid of the people to whom the problems happen. The more difficult but
humane solution to human suffering is to address the problem, not get rid of the human

Quote:
A request for assisted suicide is typically a cry for help. In reality it is typically a call for counselling,
assistance and positive alternatives as solutions to very real problems.
Suicidal intent is typically transient. Of those who attempt suicide, fewer than 4% go on to kill themselves inthe next five years; less than 11% will commit suicide over the next 35 years.

No one can prevent someone, intent on the act, from taking out a revolver and blowing his brains out, or
administering a lethal dose of drugs to himself or another. But that is not the issue here.

The issue here is whether there are sound reasons why a society and a nation should acquiesce in the process
by legalising it. If we are intent on protecting the weak and retaining our current culture of life, in the Hippocratic tradition, then we must face whether we would rather introduce a culture of uncertainty and of death. A culture where we can never be sure whether someone, somewhere, believes
that our 'quality of life' is such that the world—according to their worldview—would be betterhttps://www.gresham.k12.or.us/site/h...nethical_1.pdf off without us orthose we love, brings dreadful uncertainty and immense unnecessary suffering

Old 12-13-2022, 06:08 AM

8,455 posts, read 12,232,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
and yes, because the new lgbT/F^ movement isn’t just about what someone chooses to do with their own body, it is forcing their fetishes and sexuality into schools and changing existing language. if they brought self termination into schools to educate kids on it, or had self termination storyhour, then that’s where i have a problem.
It seems to me that a person cannot call themself a libertarian (a la Rand Paul and his dad) without accepting the height of personal decisions, i.e. assisted suicide.

I worked a suicide prevention hotline for years.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:12 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,139,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
According to science/biology, humans are animals. Humans are just a different kind of animal (primate), and quite a remarkably intelligent creature at that. But an animal none the less. I think Christians often have different views on the matter. Some Christians believe their pets also have souls and they will see them in heaven. Everyone has their own unique beliefs, and I can respect that.

I don't advocate for suicide either, but if it's the will of the people to legalize it, I certainly won't stop people from doing it if it becomes their right. I believe in total freedom for the most part, except when it comes to people who do harm upon others. Total freedom makes some people uncomfortable, and I understand that.
We are very different from “other” animals according to science, though. Much more complex thinking and feeling, for example. Christians for sure have different views in that God created us separately from animals and we are unique and special to Him.

Suicide doesn’t need to be legal bc it’s a done deal, but I sincerely do not believe assisted suicide should be legalized from an ethical standpoint. It’s too slippery a slope in this crazy and deranged world we current live in. We cannot allow them to start offing people with consent signed under duress, as an example. Older people or mentally incapacitated.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:18 AM

7,615 posts, read 3,708,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
It seems to me that a person cannot call themself a libertarian (a la Rand Paul and his dad) without accepting the height of personal decisions, i.e. assisted suicide.

political quizzes say i am a libertarian, so it must be true as i have taken many quizzes over the years. i think i only have problems with personal decisions when they personally affect individuals in society. if joe 6-pack wants to end his life, good for him I say. same opinion on who he sleeps with, what his fetishes are, whether he dresses in drag or not…don’t care

Old 12-13-2022, 06:19 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,139,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

I’m a libertarian. I still believe there should be laws, under our current system, against such things like murder, which is what this actually is no matter how anyone wants to spin in. You want to be out of this world, do it yourself. Why is nobody addressing that point here? I’ve said it multiple times.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:22 AM

45,359 posts, read 26,627,978 times
when “do no harm” becomes just a clump of letters

Old 12-13-2022, 08:11 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,014,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You wanna kill yourself, pull up your britches and get the job done at your own hand. Don’t involve others and put some kind of victimhood “woe is me” mind games on others.
Some people are too sick and in pain to manage it on their own. And the drugs necessary to do it quickly and cleanly are hard to get, at least here in the US.

Such drugs should not be withheld from people who are suffering with no chance of improvement.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:15 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,014,645 times
Quote:
Animals are not the same as humans and the assumption that they are is part of why are in this mess. And yes I do have chickens at home, but we do outsource most of our meat needs still. People in general are too far removed from where their food comes from, but let me just say I would never ask someone to kill me out of my own cowardice. Get a gun and handle it yourself if you feel that strongly. Let other people not have that on their conscience.

We do euthanize animals when their quality of life or that of their humans (such as a dangerous dog) is at stake. As a Christian, however, I cannot advocate for suicide, ever.
Think. If you do it by gun, you are traumatizing the people (possibly your loved ones) who find you afterwards. A gun is no solution.

Of course anybody can stop eating and drinking and be gone in a week or less. No mess that way.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:19 AM

29,974 posts, read 25,104,815 times
Quote:
We are very different from “other” animals according to science, though. Much more complex thinking and feeling, for example. Christians for sure have different views in that God created us separately from animals and we are unique and special to Him.

Suicide doesn’t need to be legal bc it’s a done deal, but I sincerely do not believe assisted suicide should be legalized from an ethical standpoint. It’s too slippery a slope in this crazy and deranged world we current live in. We cannot allow them to start offing people with consent signed under duress, as an example. Older people or mentally incapacitated.

A turtle is also not a lion. And a lion is not a polar bear. And so on and so forth. Quite literally every different species is unique in it's own right.

Animals certainly do posses complex thinking and feelings. Scientists have studied this extensively and continue to do so. Elephants mourn the loss of family members. I'm pretty sure some animals bury their dead. Some animals have demonstrated the ability to use tools, even simple creatures. Animals are not like fungi or plants that just sit there all day and never have to make decisions. The fact is, we as a species were once very primitive too, but we evolves and eventually developed highly complex and organized societies. This took hundreds of thousands of years. The first "upright" walking primates appeared over a million years ago. That is where we as a species evolved from. Just another incredibly unique animal. I do believe that we are descendants of apes. I don't think that's a controversial opinion to hold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution

I agree that suicide doesn't need to be legal. It's not a necessity. The same is true of a lot of things. Alcohol doesn't need to be legal. Some societies have banned it and continue to do so. We tried that. Tobacco doesn't need to be legal. But these are basic freedoms we allow people. If people decide suicide should also be legal, I feel it is not my place to stop them. It doesn't mean I view suicide as good or desirable. But like most things we don't like, it goes on. It's fairly low on my list of things government should be spending their time worrying about. Society will not collapse if we legalize suicide. Some people will consider it a travesty. And a very small number of people will actually go on to use the "service" provided. That's basically all I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
BTW I do admit there was a time when I contemplated suicide, and I would certainly have considered going to steps of going to the process of physician-Assisted Suicide if it was legal in my area. However I recovered from it and no longer suicidal. After all suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

BTW

You don't solve problems by getting rid of the people to whom the problems happen. The more difficult but
humane solution to human suffering is to address the problem, not get rid of the human

I'm certainly not interested in "getting rid of people". I'm glad you made the right decision. But, I still don't think I have a right to tell anyone else how to live, or even if they have to live. That's not my place in this world. What if the state prevents someone from killing themselves, and they turn around and kill a whole bunch of people and themselves later? How many times have we heard about murder-suicide crimes? I'd rather that person just have the option to off themselves and leave the rest of us out of here. This is why I don't go around telling people what they should or should not do because I am not anyone's shrink or doctor. Neither is the government. It's all none of my business. If someone as a friend or family member wants to talk about it with me, that's different. But that's not what this is. This is the state forcing people to live against their will. I still think no matter what, the state should have suicide prevention measures and programs in place to hopefully convince people to make the right choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies