Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 191 39.14%
No 250 51.23%
Unsure 47 9.63%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 09:09 PM

19,092 posts, read 27,673,713 times

Advertisements

OK, very sober evaluation of the Donbas situation. VERY. And, it's in English. Man got my respects

https://newtube.app/TonyHeller/AHIIuCx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 09:11 PM

4,995 posts, read 2,728,088 times
Battle of Donbas update (video):

https://youtu.be/LNsLz_NKj1E

Old 05-28-2022, 09:15 PM

19,092 posts, read 27,673,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They keep saying that. But the Russo-Ukrainian war has been dragging on since 2014. Putin may very well be dead before this thing concludes. If I had to guess, I'd say Putin started by throwing all his obsolete equipment and least well trained troops on the field to do the bulk of the fighting and dying. Having burned through that, then he likely starts committing the better equipment, after his opposition has become beaten down and demoralized. The factories in Russia did not turn off just because there is a war. But Ukraine is very much dependent on the west to keep feeding it's military machine. I tend to believe Putin is saving a lot of his resources and military for if and when other European powers or even the USA joins in.

You Do know that currently, Russian forces, or the so called Russian forces, consist of DNR/LNR militia, Russian contracted militaries, PMC like Wagner and, Czeczen volunteers? You Do know that, right? No regular military forces are deployed and, there is no draft announced. And, DNR/LNR militia is nothing but lest well trained, after 8 years of defeating Ukrainian military.
So, in case of need, ALL Russian regular armies may be deployed in a snap.

Old 05-28-2022, 10:05 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,737,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
They keep saying that. But the Russo-Ukrainian war has been dragging on since 2014. Putin may very well be dead before this thing concludes. If I had to guess, I'd say Putin started by throwing all his obsolete equipment and least well trained troops on the field to do the bulk of the fighting and dying. Having burned through that, then he likely starts committing the better equipment, after his opposition has become beaten down and demoralized. The factories in Russia did not turn off just because there is a war. But Ukraine is very much dependent on the west to keep feeding it's military machine. I tend to believe Putin is saving a lot of his resources and military for if and when other European powers or even the USA joins in.

They also keep saying Putin's war machine will lose effectiveness over time due to sanctions, shortages, etc. I have no idea what the situation is, but I'm not going to pretend CNN or other western propaganda outlets are going to tell me the truth either. The fact is, Putin knew all these obstacles were coming, and he likely did something to prepare for them... Like making his economy and war machine "sanction proof" like he said he would do. The ruble is stronger than it's been in decades and oil revenues have shot up 50% with no shortage of buyers willing to pay rubles. I'm sure there are shortages of some things, but Russia's equipment is usually pretty simple and unsophisticated... Perfect if you anticipate future shortages of materials. Being so close to China and trading with them though, I doubt Russia is hurting for that many materials.

I keep hearing stories from bias media sources. I trust my two eyes. Russia/Putin is getting what he wants, against the western powers best efforts (thus far). Every time Putin takes another city, we get treated to puff pieces and all sorts of excuses. I don't like excuses. I like facts and results.
Parts are parts...you either have them or you don't and Russia doesn't

Stung By Losses, Russia Pulls Out Its ‘Antique Tanks’ From The Boneyard Used During Soviet-Afghan War

https://eurasiantimes.com/russia-pul...-the-boneyard/

Quote:
Given Russia’s massive tank losses in Ukraine, reactivating Soviet-era tanks may appear to be a feasible option. The reason for the deployment of these armored vehicles could also be due to the challenges that the Russian defense industry is experiencing as a result of sanctions, which have affected the supply of some critical components.
Many highly qualified military analyst are comparing this to the Battle of the Bulge....and the Russians are playing the role of the Germans. It was a huge gamble that failed...miserably.

Old 05-28-2022, 11:15 PM

17,833 posts, read 13,745,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Parts are parts...you either have them or you don't and Russia doesn't

Stung By Losses, Russia Pulls Out Its ‘Antique Tanks’ From The Boneyard Used During Soviet-Afghan War

https://eurasiantimes.com/russia-pul...-the-boneyard/

Many highly qualified military analyst are comparing this to the Battle of the Bulge....and the Russians are playing the role of the Germans. It was a huge gamble that failed...miserably.
You'll never convince the "rootin' for Putin" crowd of anything.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:55 AM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You'll never convince the "rootin' for Putin" crowd of anything.

Putin doesn't care if he has anyone's support. He is an old, likely sick man who has grandiose visions of himself and his country. He doesn't give a damn about the well being of people around the world, not even his own people. Heck, he's probably killed plenty of Russians in his life, going all the way back to when he was in the KGB. All he cares about is expanding Russia's borders and he has done just that.

Pointing out the reality, while bypassing the propaganda and puff pieces regularly put out by both Russia and the USA is not rootin for Putin. It's accepting reality like big boys and girls, and deciding what we will do about it in response. Unfortunately, the dementia thing is going to take this country out of commission for a couple years at least, so all we can do is pump money into the pockets of the military industrial complex, and they will in turn flood the region with weapons and pretend it's enough. All we can do is hope for the best but.... This is not a smart strategy for the west. It projects weakness and makes us look like wimps who fight from the sidelines. We will get no respect for our part in this, but we will spend billions trying. In the end, if Putin takes the bulk of Ukraine, all those weapons will end up in Putin's hands. Kind of like what happened when Biden botched the Afghanistan withdrawal.

Old 05-29-2022, 02:33 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,887,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
Im surprised it lasted as long as it did...it stopped being about the war in mid march when it became a nazi version of where's waldo.

I am actually a little surprised to see that the russian props are able to manufacture videos that fast. But they overlook simple details that makes it criminally easy at times to spot the fakes.

I see you picked up on the vintage tanks now in play. "nothing to see here....." ;-)
I was amazed they were able to get those vintage tanks up and running.

If equipment maintenance procedures are spotty now, what are the chances a bunch of old tanks sitting around for years have been maintained?

Old 05-29-2022, 02:45 AM

Reading that nations such as Sri Lanka, and India are in negotiations with Russia to purchase fuel.

US has provided billions of dollars in aid to both these nations, and are continuing to provide financial assistance, most recently to assist them in dealing with the pandemic.

Wondering at what point does US stop subsidizing nations that align themselves with Russia?

Old 05-29-2022, 05:51 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,474,391 times
I'm just wondering how much longer Russia can afford this war- especially with their contracting economy.

Old 05-29-2022, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
I'm just wondering how much longer Russia can afford this war- especially with their contracting economy.
I suspect that as long as Russia can sell i's oil, it can continue waging war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies