Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 192 39.26%
No 250 51.12%
Unsure 47 9.61%
Voters: 489. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 08:04 AM

25,617 posts, read 17,360,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The Ukrainian constitution prohibits holding elections when martial law is in effect.

Wouldn’t it be fun to watch papa Putin assassinated or snatched?
It would be fun for a few minutes. Then, I am afraid we would have to watch the Russian population of Moscow and St Petersburg lose their minds. Putin has a great deal of support in those areas.. Assassinating Putin would probably galvanize support for his memory and they would quickly find a new leader to lead them in the same direction.

Impoverishment of Russia seems like the best alternative, and, at this point, I think that's what will happen. A Russia without a fully functioning navy or air force would be best for the world.

Reduced sanctions in return for peace is probably the direction Russia will try to go. That way, Russia could rebuild and we could do this all over again in a few years. Russia may want to act quickly, too. If the Crimea Bridge is destroyed that changes everything and Russia would no longer be in a good bargaining position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 08:15 AM

57,414 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Russia is now spending 6 % of GDP on military and defense, that is a record and exceeds their social spending. They are raising taxes on corporations and considering raising income taxes across the board to pay for the war. Defense accounts for a third of all spending at $115 billion, if the price of oil drops, they have some real problems.

Such a poor country, I wonder how long they will tolerate this war that was supposed to end in a week. How do they fund the medical care for the hundreds of thousands of wounded soldiers.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:21 AM

4,895 posts, read 2,695,699 times
the Russian population has been force fed soviet era/Russian empire/Putin propaganda for so long, they actually believe it..I think it will take a long time for the general population to take to the streets in protest against Putin's regime..

Old 05-05-2024, 08:23 AM

57,414 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Anyone who believes the Russian death toll is 50,000 simply lives on another planet.

That number has been reported, what's your source. Let's just agree that it's a whole lot more than Afghanistan which was 15,000.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:48 AM

4,998 posts, read 2,730,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The Ukrainian constitution prohibits holding elections when martial law is in effect.

Wouldn’t it be fun to watch papa Putin assassinated or snatched?
It's how the Russians view it and how they will act on this, right or wrong. After May 20 we will see what happens if anything.

As for Papa Putin, I'm sure the West has been trying to get him one way or another for the past two years. I wouldn't hold my breath on that though since traditionally Russian leaders have always been fanatical about their security, taking extreme precautions that those in West would think were completely paranoid.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:58 AM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
It's how the Russians view it and how they will act on this, right or wrong. After May 20 we will see what happens if anything.

As for Papa Putin, I'm sure the West has been trying to get him one way or another for the past two years. I wouldn't hold my breath on that though since traditionally Russian leaders have always been fanatical about their security, taking extreme precautions that those in West would think were completely paranoid.
There is nothing to talk about with criminals...

Today, one of the TOP news was the news of Zelensky (still the official president of Ukraine) and Poroshenko (ex-president of Ukraine) being put on the wanted list. And also:

- Commander of the ground forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Alexander Pavlyuk
- ex-Minister of Defense of Ukraine Mikhail Koval
- ex-Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine Litvinenko
- ex-head of the SBU Nalyvaichenko
- ex-Minister of Justice of Ukraine Petrenko
- ex-head of the National Bank of Ukraine Kubiva
- ex-Minister of Finance of Ukraine Shlapak.

Perhaps someone else will be announced, but that doesn’t matter anymore.

I don’t know why the latter, but I can guess why the second. But, of course, the most important thing is Zelensky.

You can laugh a lot about how it doesn't matter. It is also very important. No one ever negotiates with criminals. And now in the West, after everyone realized that the war was lost in Kiev, the topic of negotiations between Ukraine and Russia has become mainstream. And sooner or later they would have brought Zek to this (no matter how he wandered).

But... no one negotiates with criminals. I think this is a hint to the West that Moscow will not negotiate peace with Zelensky’s gang in any case.
https://t.me/yurasumy/15040

Old 05-05-2024, 09:03 AM

19,100 posts, read 27,685,875 times
Situation at Ocheretino and front perspectives:

The situation at the front has not changed fundamentally. There is no big Russian offensive. There are local battles to improve positions, which have the goal of pinning down all possible combat-ready reserves of the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
A new wave of mobilization is underway in Ukraine, the West has given a new package of military assistance. Russia’s task is to prevent the Ukrainian Armed Forces from calmly putting in order the new units and formations that they can create. To do this, it is necessary to involve the most combat-ready units in battles and bring them to an incapacitated state. This means knocking out the experienced personnel of combat brigades, which can become the core for the formation of new formations. This is happening in many sectors of the front: Chasov Yar, Kislovka, Ocheretino.
The most important thing that has happened in recent days is the breakthrough in Ocheretino. For the first time in the entire war, and even for the first time in all positional wars, the Russian army made a breakthrough with a very narrow offensive zone and a very long penetration in depth. At the moment, penetration is up to 5 km with a bandwidth of 550 meters. Previously, this was considered impossible, since the enemy could force the attackers to retreat or even get surrounded by attacks on the flank. No one had ever undertaken such adventurous operations before.

https://www.bastyon.com/index?455269...NpSzzeWwNifzN5

Old 05-05-2024, 09:16 AM

3,235 posts, read 1,615,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
There is nothing to talk about with criminals...

[…]

You can laugh a lot about how it doesn't matter. It is also very important. No one ever negotiates with criminals. And now in the West, after everyone realized that the war was lost in Kiev, the topic of negotiations between Ukraine and Russia has become mainstream. And sooner or later they would have brought Zek to this (no matter how he wandered).

But... no one negotiates with criminals. I think this is a hint to the West that Moscow will not negotiate peace with Zelensky’s gang in any case.
https://t.me/yurasumy/15040
They are a little late since Ukraine passed a decree in 2022 stating no negotiations with Putin are possible.

Old 05-05-2024, 11:47 AM

7,504 posts, read 3,916,193 times
France sends Foreign Legion troops to Ukraine. Hmm...

Quote:
France sends combat troops to Ukraine battlefront
Will the deployment of a Foreign Legion unit commanded by French officers trigger a wider European war?

France has sent its first troops officially to Ukraine. They have been deployed in support of the Ukrainian 54th Independent Mechanized Brigade in Slavyansk. The French soldiers are drawn from France’s 3rd Infantry Regiment, which is one of the main elements of France’s Foreign Legion (Légion étrangère).

In 2022 France had a number of Ukrainians and Russians in the Foreign Legion. They were allowed to leave the Legion and, in the case of the Ukrainians, return to Ukraine to join Ukrainian forces. It isn’t clear if the Russians returned home.

The Legion today is run by French officers but the rank and file are all foreigners. Under the curren anonymat (being anonymous) a volunteer who joins the Legion can decide whether to keep his given name or adopt a new one. Legionnaires serve for three year terms, after which they can ask for French citizenship. If a legionnaire is wounded, he is entitled to gain French citizenship without any waiting period. There are no women in the Foreign Legion.

https://asiatimes.com/2024/05/france...e-battlefront/
Hopefully, this won't become a trend.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:58 PM

26,573 posts, read 15,140,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
France sends Foreign Legion troops to Ukraine. Hmm...

Hopefully, this won't become a trend.
It seems like it has to become a trend.

The MIC demands we continue this war and Ukraine doesn't have the man power to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies