Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 07:56 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,871,374 times

Advertisements

Interesting interview.

Roubuinin kept mentioning the 1970s. Wonder if they will have to do a Volker like the early 1980s or if they are going to continue to have near-zero interest rates even with hyper-inflation.

Sounded like Roubini is predicting these economic crashes around the time that full employment occurs.

Will the government appointed federal reserve just monetize basically everything relating to bonds because few will want to buy them with hyper-inflation.

Seems like they can't normalize interest rates without an economic crash.

I wonder if they are to the continue a cherade of near-zero interest rates even with hyper-inflation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDq3hMoZ8XE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 08:13 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,922,391 times
I've worked in investment and wealth management for a long time. There's a joke in the industry that being an economist is the easiest job in the world. No matter what your opinion, you can spin it that you were right (which was told to me years ago by a co-worker who used to work at the fed, and teaches economics at a graduate level today). It's notoriously hard to prove any economic theory (economists are the weathermen/women of banking/investment management, to put it in other terms). Personally? I'm not losing sleep, I don't think we're close to that kind of risk. Yes, we'll see some inflation. No, it won't be anywhere near the '70s.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:20 PM

15,869 posts, read 6,569,892 times
Don't we get one of these dire economic predictions every couple of years? Eventually they may even get it right. Yes, we will have a stock market crash and a recession. We just had one last year.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:23 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I've worked in investment and wealth management for a long time. There's a joke in the industry that being an economist is the easiest job in the world. No matter what your opinion, you can spin it that you were right (which was told to me years ago by a co-worker who used to work at the fed, and teaches economics at a graduate level today). It's notoriously hard to prove any economic theory (economists are the weathermen/women of banking/investment management, to put it in other terms). Personally? I'm not losing sleep, I don't think we're close to that kind of risk. Yes, we'll see some inflation. No, it won't be anywhere near the '70s.
Whether you predict a boom or bust sooner or later you're right.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:51 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,627,534 times
Interest rates have been close to or at zero since 9-11 for petes sake!!

Imo,this is the ONLY reason why our economy appears to be so good recently, its artificially propped up.

This cannot go on much longer though, eventually the piper must be paid.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:54 PM

1,065 posts, read 473,115 times
Eventually a recession is a sure thing. The question is when. Will it occur in the next few years as a result of Trump's era or whether it will happen after that as a result of Biden's era. It's not easy to predict but we have yet to see what the outcome of Trump's era will be.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Don't we get one of these dire economic predictions every couple of years? Eventually they may even get it right. Yes, we will have a stock market crash and a recession. We just had one last year.
Yes, Gerald Celente has switched from the worst depression ever to having one of the biggest booms ever. But he say it will only be short term.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Federal Notes are all counterfeit, if you actually read the US Constitution.
NO taxes can be paid in federal notes. No entity that is incorporated can levy a tax. It is CASE LAW!
Frankfort v Waldo.

Old 05-12-2021, 12:05 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
Aren't crashes the only thing Roubini predicts?

Old 05-12-2021, 12:09 AM

4,239 posts, read 2,464,214 times
Our next crisis is going to be a currency crisis and a sovereign debt crisis that makes the Great Depression look like a small technical correction.

This is not a repeat of the 70s- we're so much more broke now than we were back then. Nor is it a repeat of 08'. That crisis was essentially a corporate and banking crisis. This one will be a currency/sovereign debt crisis. In 08', banks and corporations failed. In this crisis, the nation will fail...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies