Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think if you fix the big picture economic stuff, most of the social stuff works itself out. I wish the Republicans would back off the social stuff a bit more, & focus on jobs & wages, & education/training.

The schools in Kim Klacik's Baltimore are horrendous, as are most inner city schools. I would start there. I like Trumps enterprise zones, but you must protect those businesses at all costs...with police.

They bring jobs to the inner cities. Specific skill training (like welding & CDL truck drivers) will bring higher wages.

I love those shows/movies about the hardazz Principal who takes over a crappy inner city school and makes it the best around. I'm all about that.
I wonder if you've read "Whatever It Takes" by Paul Touch. About Jeffrey Canada's attempt to turn Harlem schools around. He had millions of dollars behind him; the best educators, the best principals, gleaming beautiful state of the art schools.

Spoiler alert. He couldn't change the trajectory these students were on. He was at it for more than 15 years, in the end starting the kids before they were even BORN in the projects. Getting them into good nutrition programs; excellent preschools.

He had parental support; all the parents wanted their kids to be in his schools. He had everything.

Except student success.

His promise to the parents that the kids who started Kinder in his school would be able to compete with the best school districts in the state fell completely flat.

In the depressing end of the book, he believes the key to children in the slums having success is to be able to see ANYONE in their family, or their building, who is living a successful life. Even just one person, making it work, not in prison, not doing and dealing drugs. One single solitary role model in their lives, besides the paid teachers that weren't related to them.

Well written book, I kept waiting for the shining moment of success when the kids would pass their exams, never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 02:06 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Can someone in Congress "save" any city in their district ? Certainly they can get grant funds and push for legislation on things like crime/sentencing , police reform, taxes, infrastructure, employment/training incentives and trade deals all of which impact a place like Baltimore ...But they need the rest of Congress and often times the president's support to implement any of those things ...which make the. Lack of detail in such statements troubling ...it's like ringing a bell to get people's attention and not saying anything other than reminding them of the problems. All of the aforementioned items have been tried in one form or another by both parties to varying degrees of success ...but like the tide it comes and it goes

Old 09-08-2020, 02:47 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder if you've read "Whatever It Takes" by Paul Touch. About Jeffrey Canada's attempt to turn Harlem schools around. He had millions of dollars behind him; the best educators, the best principals, gleaming beautiful state of the art schools.

Spoiler alert. He couldn't change the trajectory these students were on. He was at it for more than 15 years, in the end starting the kids before they were even BORN in the projects. Getting them into good nutrition programs; excellent preschools.

He had parental support; all the parents wanted their kids to be in his schools. He had everything.

Except student success.

His promise to the parents that the kids who started Kinder in his school would be able to compete with the best school districts in the state fell completely flat.

In the depressing end of the book, he believes the key to children in the slums having success is to be able to see ANYONE in their family, or their building, who is living a successful life. Even just one person, making it work, not in prison, not doing and dealing drugs. One single solitary role model in their lives, besides the paid teachers that weren't related to them.

Well written book, I kept waiting for the shining moment of success when the kids would pass their exams, never happened.
This is why finding a mentor is so important. How can strive to be something if they don't know about it? There are a lot of jobs, careers that kids would love to do only if they knew about the job.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:49 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Great video.

Everyone in America needs to see this.

Should be a nation-wide commercial.
Liberals hate her.

Liberals hate facts, which is why they are so enamored with revisionist history.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:26 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
2 hours of Klacik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeim4MTPPG4

Old 09-12-2020, 07:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Great video. Powerful words!

So anyway, I’m voting for Biden....

Old 09-18-2020, 02:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
This woman is a God among men, listen especially to her final remark before they cancel her:

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...87694707355663

Old 09-18-2020, 02:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
This woman is a God among men, listen especially to her final remark before they cancel her:

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...87694707355663
If she’s a God, she’d better fix the election so that she’ll win. Lol

Old 09-18-2020, 03:00 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Awesome and 100% correct! It's unfortunate the Republicans will not take advantage of this moment in time we are in. They should stop being wussies, get off their butts and join this woman.
Kim Klacik is a Republican candidate for Maryland‘s 7th District

Old 09-18-2020, 03:07 PM

2,923 posts, read 978,068 times
I mean, to be fair to Democrats, and often in spite of their own rhetoric, it isn't up to the government to save people from themselves. The problem with the black community in baltimore is the black community in baltimore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies