Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 07:16 PM

413 posts, read 210,365 times

Advertisements

I ended up in this forum due to Covid-19 information seeking. I currently have it, but I am getting better. I have to say that I am shocked at all the political talking points being thrown back and forth, much with little or no actual facts behind them. That is not limited to just one side. I have to ask and this is a serious question, as I am a human behavior buff. Do the posters think they are making a positive difference with what they post? Do they think they stand even the slightest chance of convincing someone else to change their mind? Are the posts simply repeating talking points only there to yell louder than the other person? I can see having an intelligent, fact based discussion of any number of issues. What I don't understand is a bunch of adults screaming over each other and tossing out blatantly false talking points from both sides. What am I missing? Is there more to the story? Help me understand?

Old 04-07-2020, 07:22 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,812,819 times
Hang around a bit longer, you'll get it....

Do the posters think they are making a positive difference with what they post? NO

Do they think they stand even the slightest chance of convincing someone else to change their mind? NO

Are the posts simply repeating talking points only there to yell louder than the other person? YES

Generally it's people having a chance to spout off without any repercussions....where else can ya do that?

Hope you feel better!

Old 04-07-2020, 07:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,423,028 times
I'm an anarchist.

All my posts are apolitical.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,904,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Hang around a bit longer, you'll get it....

Do the posters think they are making a positive difference with what they post? NO

Do they think they stand even the slightest chance of convincing someone else to change their mind? NO

Are the posts simply repeating talking points only there to yell louder than the other person? YES

Generally it's people having a chance to spout off without any repercussions....where else can ya do that?

Hope you feel better!
Pretty much this ^ says it all.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:36 PM

14,574 posts, read 12,253,747 times
Probably not making a difference, but it allows me an outlet to write down what I think and bounce it off of others and see if it still makes sense.

I don't think people change their mind much on forums. They just test their theories, and hone their arguments.

If there's a benefit, it's that everyone here is a willing participant, and many families have been spared hearing a lot of unwanted grief because of this outlet.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:37 PM

20,256 posts, read 21,005,522 times
Clearly not.
Otherwise the world would be a better place.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,423,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Probably not making a difference, but it allows me an outlet to write down what I think and bounce it off of others and see if it still makes sense.

I don't think people change their mind much on forums. They just test their theories, and hone their arguments.

If there's a benefit, it's that everyone here is a willing participant, and many families have been spared because of this outlet.
If you find yourself agreeing with me, it's time to rethink your stance.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:38 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,615,144 times
lol - if you actually were a "human nature buff", you wouldn't have to ask those questions. It is well know that, in the history of the internet, no one has ever changed their mind because of something posted on a forum, about anything. Nada. Zip.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:41 PM

30,159 posts, read 18,752,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB12inTB2020 View Post
I ended up in this forum due to Covid-19 information seeking. I currently have it, but I am getting better. I have to say that I am shocked at all the political talking points being thrown back and forth, much with little or no actual facts behind them. That is not limited to just one side. I have to ask and this is a serious question, as I am a human behavior buff. Do the posters think they are making a positive difference with what they post? Do they think they stand even the slightest chance of convincing someone else to change their mind? Are the posts simply repeating talking points only there to yell louder than the other person? I can see having an intelligent, fact based discussion of any number of issues. What I don't understand is a bunch of adults screaming over each other and tossing out blatantly false talking points from both sides. What am I missing? Is there more to the story? Help me understand?
No

Old 04-07-2020, 07:48 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

If there's a benefit, it's that everyone here is a willing participant, and many families have been spared hearing a lot of unwanted grief because of this outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.