Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 07:10 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...uction-report/

I thought the GOP wasn’t a fan of eminent domain?
Well if you are going to have a border wall and the owners will not sell to allow it, what do you expect?
Guess you are just another one of those "Haters" who love to twist the news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 07:17 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Because it's not true?

First, it's not a "wall". It's a fence. And apparently it is a fence that can be breeched by using power tools.

A good battery powered angle grinder with cutting wheels wont have any problems cutting through any wall they put up. Besides, 12-15 foot wall, 12-15 foot ladder is all you need. Just slows them down it wont stop them.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yah think? How would you feel if someone came out and carved 10 ft out from your property line... for something you thought was ineffective?

How much of your property would you be willing to give up to an issue you disagree with? (please reference the amount of property you are starting with).

Honestly, I don't expect much honesty. My answer? None. To anything I agree or disagree with. I bought it, it is mine.
The problem is that in many cases it's not just 10 feet off of your property line. Some people have had their land cut in half by bollard fencing, some have had their houses cut off from the US side of the fence. In those cases they effectively lose a large chunk of their property but are paid for a 10 foot wide section. What does that do to resale value? Who is going to pay for a piece of land that they only have use of half of it?

One family lost their house to fire because the fire department couldn't get through the gate that the government put in when they walled this families house on the southern side of the wall. This happened before Trump, but I don't see that changing because the wall can not be built directly on the actual border in some locations like along the Rio Grande.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:27 AM

62,870 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
A good battery powered angle grinder with cutting wheels wont have any problems cutting through any wall they put up. Besides, 12-15 foot wall, 12-15 foot ladder is all you need. Just slows them down it wont stop them.
This crap again? Do you actually think that even if they succeeded that the Border Patrol wouldn't hear the noise and be waiting for them on the other side? The last one who tried climbing over the wall broke both legs trying! You actually think that illegal aliens are going to carry saws and ladders across the desert anyway?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
We must recall that the southern border of Texas is the Rio Grande. The structure will not be built in the river, but must, of necessity, be set well back (some say averaging one mile in distance). The 1000 or so ranchers that own the majority of the borderland object to their cattle being denied access to the river, as well as being possibly denied access to the water for irrigation (yes, pipes can be used, but did I note the structure will be well away from the river?).

It is, in essence, ceding the Rio Grande to Mexico. The Mexican landowners will have full access to the river, but not the Texans.
How do you know how it's actually going to be built? Your speculations don't amount to a hill of beans! You and yours make every excuse in the book not to build good physical barriers on our border in spite of the proven effectiveness of them and also the sentiments of the Border Patrol and Homeland Security. It's mind boggling really!

Old 11-15-2019, 07:35 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
I thought the GOP wasn’t a fan of eminent domain?
well see, it all depends

Were you under the impression that either team R or D had had any principles?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This crap again? Do you actually think that even if they succeeded that the Border Patrol wouldn't hear the noise and be waiting for them on the other side? The last one who tried climbing over the wall broke both legs trying! You actually think that illegal aliens are going to carry saws and ladders across the desert anyway?
Are there going to be border patrol every 50 feet? How does one hear a power tool from a mile away or more? Are they going to rig microphones and have 24 hour monitors? Will border patrol be running out every time some rancher is doing repair work on their property that the wall goes through?

Old 11-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Some of the “nastiest stuff in this forum”. What a load of BS. Your own biases are showing through. I have seen posts written by Trumpers that I would cringe if my children ever wrote that garbage. Read pro-trump threads before casting aspersions. Read them with an open mind. Name calling by them is apparently acceptable to you when aimed at those you disagree with. BTW, I have looked up some of your posts and hypocrite is thy name.

Now, as to the wall. Trump has built ZERO new wall. The wall is a political diversion. The wall will fail. The wall will never be completed. It is aimed entirely at his fearful base, and that is what Trump’s base is: fearful of invasion from poor peasants.

The solution is not billions spent on a wall but spent improving the lives of these peasants. Curtailing corruption, poverty, and drug lords will do far more than a vacuous wall to solve the immigration crisis.
Not one of your claims comes even close to the hateful garbage that you post along with your juvenile attacks on Trump and conservatives. Why don't you set an example and just discuss the issues without resorting to that? You can continue to harp and claim that the good physical barriers don't work in spite of the facts before you but it only makes you look foolish.

It's not fear of an invasion from poor peasants. It's objection to these economic terrorists that are raping our country to the tune of over $100 billion a year, stealing jobs and reducing wages for Americans and overcrowding our schools, jails, hospitals, roads and neighborhoods not to mention the dilution of our culture and no respect for our immigration laws! I guess ID theft is ok with you to which most are guilty of? It's not only they that are breaching our border but criminals, drug runners and those from known terrorist countries. But none of the above seems to matter to you. WTH is wrong with you? I can no longer stomach your hateful, anti-American BS! Welcome to my ignore list. Hope you grow up someday.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
How do you know how it's actually going to be built? Your speculations don't amount to a hill of beans! You and yours make every excuse in the book not to build good physical barriers on our border in spite of the proven effectiveness of them and also the sentiments of the Border Patrol and Homeland Security. It's mind boggling really!
We do know that they will not be building in the river or on the floodplain unless both countries sign off that it is ok. Unless Trump wants to violate a 50 year old treaty and have to defend his actions in international court.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
This isn't for a parking lot it's for our national security so why even bring parking lots up?

Because the other poster mentioned abuses for which there are many and I decided to comment on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies