Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 11:02 AM

24,410 posts, read 27,010,334 times

Advertisements

I'm a Trump supporter, but I also was an Obama supporter previously. I'm not hard left or right, even though many of you who see my recent threads probably think I'm far right.

I just find it odd how after 9/11, we changed our entire lives pretty much, from the way we travel, to allowing the government to spy on us, etc yet the same people refuse to do anything regarding mass shootings. Some say it won't make a difference and I understand we all have different opinions on how to do something, while still having the same goal in mind. However, there are those who don't care about the goal because they say anything that takes an inch of my rights away I won't put up with... yet look at us post 9/11. Why the double standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 11:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,012,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'm a Trump supporter, but I also was an Obama supporter previously. I'm not hard left or right, even though many of you who see my recent threads probably think I'm far right.

I just find it odd how after 9/11, we changed our entire lives pretty much, from the way we travel, to allowing the government to spy on us, etc yet the same people refuse to do anything regarding mass shootings. Some say it won't make a difference and I understand we all have different opinions on how to do something, while still having the same goal in mind. However, there are those who don't care about the goal because they say anything that takes an inch of my rights away I won't put up with... yet look at us post 9/11. Why the double standard?
Second Amendment, NRA control of politicians. Short term memory by the population. I give these shootings by the end of the week when theyll be forgotten and the media will be talking about a stupid dog whistle tweet that Trump will use to distract/divert.

My personal coping is to almost be insensitive to shootings. Sad, but a matter of American life. Out of my control. No different than a bus full of Americans flipping over and killing all occupants. 20-30 deaths. Or an airline crash. Nothing changes, life goes on.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM

20,162 posts, read 9,060,402 times
What is a handgun for other than to kill people? You don't hunt with them.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:16 AM

If this nation can't be moved by classrooms of elementary children getting horrifically gunned down in cold blood and being stripped from their parents and not enjoying their full lives as was the case at Sandy Hook, nothing like this weekend will move them.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
What is a handgun for other than to kill people?

I believe any law abiding citizen should be allowed to own handguns and use them in self defense at home or out and about with a conceal carry permit. We had our property broken into and the guy had a machete, luckily we had a handgun and didn't have to shoot it because he ran once he saw we had the gun. Who knows what would have happened otherwise.

However, I think we should be able to make common sense changes such as universal background checks, ending private sales without going through a dealer, etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Serves as a deterrent to being robbed, burglarized, beat up, killed.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Second Amendment, NRA control of politicians. Short term memory by the population. I give these shootings by the end of the week when theyll be forgotten and the media will be talking about a stupid dog whistle tweet that Trump will use to distract/divert.

My personal coping is to almost be insensitive to shootings. Sad, but a matter of American life. Out of my control. No different than a bus full of Americans flipping over and killing all occupants. 20-30 deaths. Or an airline crash. Nothing changes, life goes on.

I think people are starting to catch on, as far as I know, polling for universal background checks is at an all time high. These things take time. People won't be able to ignore them forever. And I expect more to happen since the media is making their manifestos famous.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times
Quote:

After 9/11, everybody said, "this changes EVERYTHING!!"
Which was ridiculous. It changed almost nothing.

We have to take our shoes off at the airport now......SOMETIMES. That's alot??? hmmm....

(The spying would have happened any ways.........that's just the way the NSC, CIA and FBI roll......)

Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
I believe any law abiding citizen should be allowed to own handguns and use them in self defense at home or out and about with a conceal carry permit. We had our property broken into and the guy had a machete, luckily we had a handgun and didn't have to shoot it because he ran once he saw we had the gun. Who knows what would have happened otherwise.

However, I think we should be able to make common sense changes such as universal background checks, ending private sales without going through a dealer, etc.
Dont think background check is a cure-all for the problem, but it is one piece of it.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:24 AM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
Private property, to which every individual has a natural right.

Extension of self-defense, to which every individual has a natural right.

Quite simply, the natural, individual right to own property does not require YOU finding a justification for any one particular object. It's a negative right, as in you cannot stop me from owning a thing. Nowhere in that negative right is my ownership of a thing based on whether o not you think I need it.

And the 2nd Amendment was not written for hunting. Read the Federalist Papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies