Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
When this forum has thread after thread about "supporting" one of 100's of nations, it makes one wonder. We already see threads here calling many Americans traitors if they don't do what other say (support ICE, for example).

This issue can become yet another of them. I have blood in Israel in a number of ways. But as Ted Roosevelt clearly noted, there are no hyphenated Americans. I am an American. That means I care about lots of issues...and don't pledge my allegiance to two countries.
This forum doesn't have thread after thread about supporting Israel, so you should wonder why you think it does.

Your suggestion that Jews in the U.S. pledge allegiance to Israel is bull. Of course the vast majority support Israel's existence, but many Jewish organizations and individuals are sympathetic to the Palestinian position and oppose specific Israeli policies. You'll even find Jews supporting the BDS movement.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:48 AM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Hmm, in essence, you are suggesting to return all North America to native Indians. After all, they lived here for over 10,000 years. And they don't have their own state right now. Absolutely same logic. So, if you support giving land to Israel, then you should support giving North America back to natives. Unless, of course, you live by double standards.

Feel free to suggest that in Congress - in the same package with "aid" for Israel.
Obviously that's not what I'm suggesting. The Zionists purchased the land from Ottoman-era landowners. The tenants' rights ran out with their month-to-month leases. And the "Palestinians" have resisted making any approach for peace that does not involve Jewish surrender.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am Jewish and a leftist Democrat. My views on rapture and Jesus's supposed return to Jerusalem, somehow, never comes to mind when I vote.
Thank the Lord. Amen.

If only there were not so many Americans who do...

Old 07-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You can go roundy-round with that argument all day but generally speaking, showing up and declaring eminent domain over a piece of property because your ancestors happened to live there 2000 years ago is shaky footing to begin with. As you say, Jews lived in the region anyway for much of modern history, and somehow managed to live along side everybody else. But of course in 1948 something changed. (actually well prior to that)
The sort of history, consideration and argument SOME people simply cannot take into account objectively and ultimately will not allow, for obvious reasons...

Old 07-16-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This argument never works for me. Israel already has the land, just like we already have this land. Seeing as how you don’t support giving North America back to the natives, why would you support Israel giving the land back to the Palestinians? Assuming it even belonged to them in the first place.
Does the argument in favor of establishing Indian Reservations in America not work for you either?

Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Wait, when did I do that?

I don’t really care about who lived there 2000 years ago. And I don’t care who lived there 75 years ago. Israel is the country that is there now, and Israel has the “right of force” as you put it. They have been able to successfully defend the land on multiple occasions, so it is theirs until someone can take it away from them. But as I pointed out, that window is gone, because in the age of nuclear weapons, that is extremely unlikely.
Sometimes I wonder when I read comments like yours...

Do you recognize ANY wrong-doing on the part of Israel or U.S. policy with respect to Israel and/or with regard to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict?

If no, please simply confirm.

If yes, please elaborate.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:05 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Does the argument in favor of establishing Indian Reservations in America not work for you either?
Sure. You have Gaza, and the West Bank.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
This forum doesn't have thread after thread about supporting Israel, so you should wonder why you think it does.

Your suggestion that Jews in the U.S. pledge allegiance to Israel is bull. Of course the vast majority support Israel's existence, but many Jewish organizations and individuals are sympathetic to the Palestinian position and oppose specific Israeli policies. You'll even find Jews supporting the BDS movement.
Your comment reminded me of a search function I came to realize just yesterday that I should use more often...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=36911893

Not sure how many are directly related to supporting Israel, but an awful lot about Israel generally speaking. Not sure how to perform a search more specifically about your claim, but it would no doubt involve about 18 pages of thread titles. That's a lot of pages and thread titles.

With regard to your comment in bold, those voices are rarely heard in this forum far as my experience has been so far. Quite the opposite as a rule in fact. Would you not agree?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Sure. You have Gaza, and the West Bank.
Because of what argument?!?

Old 07-16-2019, 10:13 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sometimes I wonder when I read comments like yours...

Do you recognize ANY wrong-doing on the part of Israel or U.S. policy with respect to Israel and/or with regard to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict?

If no, please simply confirm.

If yes, please elaborate.
No.

I believe Israel tried to do the right thing, several times, and the Palestinians spit in their faces for it, every time. I hear a lot of jumbo jumbo about Israel not wanting peace, but it only makes sense if you revise history first.
I believe that the Palestinians will accept nothing less than the whole country of Israel.

Until the Palestinians give up on their dream and goal of the destruction of Israel, the peace process can never move further. It has to start there, because that is what has been keeping them from accepting their own country for all these years.

So no. I don’t recognize ANY wrong doing, because the Palestinians have brought all this on themselves. If they wanted their own country, they could have had it 70 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies