Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:24 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,335,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It started with pain issues. Back issues for the man. Undiagnosed osteomalacia and multiple bone fractures for the woman. The descent was beyond painful. We shared walls ... they were very kind to my daughter ... so I was very much there.

F (the wife) died first; her husband (M) later. It was an overdose, maybe deliberate maybe not. Her husband never recovered and was found dead in his car about 5 years later.

M. was diagnosed with cognitive dysfunction from the vicodin. F. must have been suffering from the same. Probably shouldn't go further with details but it was painful to watch highly educated capable people gradually becoming incompetent with a former loving relationship in shreds.
Thank you for going into it, I'm sure re-living it isn't pleasant.

But it was important, because I wanted to point out there are posters in this thread who would have wanted your neighbors executed. Their solution to our drug problems is to "off them", and that must include people like your neighbors, not to mention those who became addicted because of their careless doctor prescribing pain meds for too long, then cutting them off cold turkey when the government cracked down in their usual heavy-handed, poorly thought-out manner, and threatened doctors with losing their license.

Those posters wants all the millions out there who became addicted in this manner "offed".

Thank you for the opportunity to expose them for who they are. I am sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM

13,231 posts, read 21,851,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The fact is other than this one incident illegals are not even trying to get into our country via the good walls. Everything being reported had been via the inferior fencing. Remain in denial if you wish.

Oh I see, let's not enforce any of our laws because the perpetrator might get injured. American thieves often get shot by the police and we'd have to pay their medical bills so let's just remove the laws against theft. Liberal logic 101!
How many illegals just go around the walls? Even Trump admits you can't build a wall across the entire border. And even if you could, illegals would still make their way into the country. Drugs will too. You people claim that illegals can't carry ladders, but somehow they're able to carry huge amounts of drugs. It's BS. Multi-billion dollar cartels don't use mules sneaking across the border to bring drugs into the US as every recent large bust has shown.

If you're really worried about illegals walking into the US, you can be much more effective in using modern technologies including cameras, fixed towers and aerial and underground sensors example. Those can be deployed over more kinds of terrain, without necessitating endless eminent domain hassles, with less impact to migrating wildlife, and without creating an ugly and insulting blight on the landscape.

You are being duped by Trump into building a monument to himself.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,350,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
A word of advice to wall lovers. Stay with the "it's part of comprehensive immigration reform" rather than throwing up all the drugs, duct taped children, bad terrorists and the like. Make it normal and more people will give you cred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
... You are being duped by Trump into building a monument to himself.
Sean Hannity had a special on the border recently that featured Trump clips. Drugs are a serious issue that impact many American families. Hearing him use (and it is that) these families as he twists and distorts the reality of drugs and the wall is beyond distasteful.

The same with the women with tape on the mouths. I'm actually pretty conservative on many immigration policies agreeing with Republican positions.

But I gotta say Trump is making it really hard to stay the course.

Bad enough to spend US tax dollars this way but to fake it up with the humanitarian is pure BS.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Are you trying to be my friend? I have been saying that all along. Booze killed my brother. Ban alcohol, dope, illegal drugs, tobacco, etc.
You are delving one checkers move ahead.....in a game of such, while we humans are capable of playing Chess....a game with trillions of possibilities.

It's always tempting to spout a simple solution which cannot be achieved....the root is human unhappiness and hopelessness which itself is rooted in our current system.

Until we fix that nothing will change.

My Dad, who came of age in the lat 1940's, told me there were plenty of Heroin Addicts hanging on the corner in Philly. But he had a beautiful girlfriend, an opportunity for a college education and a small family business he could take over....and then achieve everything he dreamed about.

I don't think this path still exists for a very large percentage of Americans...they keep hearing people saying they are "weak" and to "pull yourself up from your bootstraps". When they realize they can never measure up (or for many other reasons), they take to the substances.

The substances themselves have nothing to do with it. Banning cigarettes is no different than banning sugar or butter or ice cream. But the proud, productive and happy person can moderate themselves because they get "higher" by helping people and learning things than they do from booze or opiates.

Looking at it another way - if I lived in the present day in an old dead factory town somewhere, there is a good chance I'd be an addict is I wasn't lucky enough to leave.

One needs to be able to dig much deeper - then either of us are doing.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:07 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,694,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Sean Hannity had a special on the border recently that featured Trump clips. Drugs are a serious issue that impact many American families. Hearing him use (and it is that) these families as he twists and distorts the reality of drugs and the wall is beyond distasteful.

The same with the women with tape on the mouths. I'm actually pretty conservative on many immigration policies agreeing with Republican positions.

But I gotta say Trump is making it really hard to stay the course.

Bad enough to spend US tax dollars this way but to fake it up with the humanitarian is pure BS.
You illustrate the point. They have gone so far off the rails in an attempt to corral support...when support is already there! But they are practicing Idolatry, Symbolism...and not interested in more "root" problems and solutions.

I'm as liberal as they come and have been so for 50 years. Yet I'd 100% support total immigration reform done through Congress and addressing not only our current mess, but the next 10-30 years. The reason it has never happened (it has been tried by sincere Congress folks many a time) is that these other "Radicals" (Right Wing, in this case) think they have to kowtow to their "base" and do not understand that the Perfect is often the Enemy of the Good.

Trump, being a bully and divider, pour gasoline on the flames.

As I hope we agree it's not about duct tape, it's not about brown people being bad (I find quite the opposite), it's not about murders and rapes and it's not about drugs. It's about a dysfunction country that doesn't do long term planning...about anything.

This isn't just an immigration issues. How many 20-30 year infrastructure projects are underway? How many high speed trains are being installed in our higher populated corridors? How many revolutionary steps are being taken to fix our health care?

American Capitalism is failing us, IMHO. That's a broad statement but what I am talking about is that money interests end up financed the LACK of action because the status quo pays big. Texas won't go E-Verify because Texas is in the top 2 or 3 states that benefits from illegal labor...and uses it to drive wages down (they have one of the lowest min. wages).

Anyway, if what you are saying is that the issue should be tackled in Congress with a major piece of legislation that addresses everything from birthright citizens to Daca to border security, count this old hippie as being on your side.

Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,350,448 times
Quote:
You illustrate the point. They have gone so far off the rails in an attempt to corral support...when support is already there! But they are practicing Idolatry, Symbolism...and not interested in more "root" problems and solutions.

I'm as liberal as they come and have been so for 50 years. Yet I'd 100% support total immigration reform done through Congress and addressing not only our current mess, but the next 10-30 years. The reason it has never happened (it has been tried by sincere Congress folks many a time) is that these other "Radicals" (Right Wing, in this case) think they have to kowtow to their "base" and do not understand that the Perfect is often the Enemy of the Good.

Trump, being a bully and divider, pour gasoline on the flames.
Immigration legislation appears unlikely. Republican conservatives torpedoed the Gang of Eight bill; Democrats did not support initiatives not providing legal status to illegals. And that was THEN.

Trump's all over the place when it comes to policy efforts. The Common Sense proposal that failed in the Senate last February was - compared to earlier initiatives - more than conservative. Trump under the influence of WH aides like Stephen Miller and the far right killed that.

Quote:
For months, Republicans stalled immigration negotiations in order to figure out what Trump wants. That question, for the most part, has been answered. The White House issued an ultimatum of demands on immigration that is considered a nonstarter with Democrats and moderate Republicans. ... Trump has seemingly agreed to bipartisan immigration deals in the moment during meetings with moderate Republicans and Democrats, only to backtrack on them later — often through his chief of staff, and former DHS secretary, John Kelly or policy adviser Stephen Miller, both of whom are immigration hardliners.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...migration-deal

To pour this wall fiasco (the shutdown, possibly proceeding against a Senate Republican disapproval resolution) onto that history helps how?

Quote:
This isn't just an immigration issues. How many 20-30 year infrastructure projects are underway? How many high speed trains are being installed in our higher populated corridors? How many revolutionary steps are being taken to fix our health care?

American Capitalism is failing us, IMHO. That's a broad statement but what I am talking about is that money interests end up financed the LACK of action because the status quo pays big. Texas won't go E-Verify because Texas is in the top 2 or 3 states that benefits from illegal labor...and uses it to drive wages down (they have one of the lowest min. wages).

Anyway, if what you are saying is that the issue should be tackled in Congress with a major piece of legislation that addresses everything from birthright citizens to Daca to border security, count this old hippie as being on your side.
Per the above, so far the record is total failure. For a moderate, this should have been done BEFORE the Republicans lost the house. There was even money available for massive border security including infrastructure. There were no comprehensive deals but the bipartisan efforts addressed many issues. Now ... nothing.

Last edited by EveryLady; 02-02-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 02-02-2019, 05:19 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,640,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My solution would work. Users are a drag on society’s resources. They made a personal choice so it’s all on them to dig themselves out. Not up to me or you.
No, it wouldn't work. Over the top laws have been tried in the past and are proven to be failures.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 PM

22,486 posts, read 12,032,914 times
Quote:
LOL, right! Who do you think you're fooling? You may not be registered Republican but you sure as hell vote that way and support them in this forum. How many times have you made the following posts almost verbatim? Dozens? Hundreds?

I'm a democrat and at least I have the guts to admit it. Be honest for once. It won't kill you and maybe you'll feel better about yourself.

I know---this will be hard to wrap your mind around but...I will tell you anyway. I don't vote straight "R". Never have, never will. A blue dog democrat is far preferable over a RINO. You see, I take the time to read up on all the candidates and where they stand on issues that are important to me. Sometimes, it's the democrat (I know--what a shock!---I hope you're sitting down). Other times, it's the republican. If you knew where I stood on some issues, you would swear I was a democrat. On other issues, you would swear I was a republican. Actually, I'm a centrist who leans a bit to the right.

Oh...Before I forget--- be sure you're sitting down because I know this will shock you --- I voted for Bill Clinton twice. Also, I voted for---Dukakis, Gore, and Mondale. The first time I voted for president, I voted for McGovern.

In the past, democrats truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those dems of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the workforce all due to illegal immigration. And those dems would have done something about it, too---and I don't mean amnesty. There was a time when you could count on the dems to look out for their constituents. Somewhere along the line the dems did a 180. Now they put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans.

Today, as I said previously, I would vote for a blue dog democrat over a RINO. The blue dogs remember what the dems once stood for and that is reflected in their stances.

Neither party is looking out for Americans (that's why I wouldn't join the RNC---nor would I join the DNC). However, at one time I expected much, much better from the dems.

How many posts have I made that got you triggered? I don't know. Since you have time, go through them all and take a count. When you're done, let me know

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 02-02-2019 at 10:53 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 06:33 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
Quote:
How many illegals just go around the walls? Even Trump admits you can't build a wall across the entire border. And even if you could, illegals would still make their way into the country. Drugs will too. You people claim that illegals can't carry ladders, but somehow they're able to carry huge amounts of drugs. It's BS. Multi-billion dollar cartels don't use mules sneaking across the border to bring drugs into the US as every recent large bust has shown.

If you're really worried about illegals walking into the US, you can be much more effective in using modern technologies including cameras, fixed towers and aerial and underground sensors example. Those can be deployed over more kinds of terrain, without necessitating endless eminent domain hassles, with less impact to migrating wildlife, and without creating an ugly and insulting blight on the landscape.

You are being duped by Trump into building a monument to himself.

If there are any openings along the walls to be able to go around the Border Patrol are waiting for them, duh. The good walls can't be scaled over or tunneled under successfully either. Congress made the mistake of erecting mere fencing on much of the 700 miles of porous border rather than the double barriers that they promised. Trump wants to fix that. On areas where those types of barriers are built they have cut back illegal entry by 80-90%. That's not good enough for you? They have to be 100% effective?

It's not only drugs that are getting into our country but millions of illegal aliens that are raping our country economically, criminals and those from known terrorist countries. We already tried high tech stuff a few years back and it failed so it was scrapped. There is nothing better than good physical barriers backed up by the Border Patrol to deter illegal entry. It's not BS that drug mules are getting into our country via non-legal ports of entry either.

As for eminent domain issues those who don't want a wall on their properties can just deal with the illegal trespassers, criminals and drug mules who will then just funnel right through their lands. They'll be begging for a wall in no time. We have walls around our homes and businesses. Are they an ugly, insulting blight on the landscape? Try again, you're getting desperate now. We have had barriers on our southern border for years now and all of a sudden it's ugly? There is no plan of a big, tall cement barrier anyway.

Oh, stop with this crap of the wall being a monument to Trump! This is the wall approved by congress back in 2006 but not completed as promised. How are we being duped when Trump went so far as to shut down the government over this issue and may now have to declare a national emergency to do it? You're being duped by your leftist masters and I'm sure your agenda is to keep the flow of illegals into our country comiing also, thus your objection to good physical barriers. You fool no one!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:54 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,347,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh, stop with this crap of the wall being a monument to Trump! This is the wall approved by congress back in 2006 but not completed as promised. How are we being duped when Trump went so far as to shut down the government over this issue and may now have to declare a national emergency to do it? You're being duped by your leftist masters and I'm sure your agenda is to keep the flow of illegals into our country comiing also, thus your objection to good physical barriers. You fool no one!
And I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you if you think a double-digit billion wall will solve the illegal problem.

Not the same wall in 2006: https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...der-wall-2006/

But right wingers don't really care to check facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies