Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the NPS and state parks stop selling firewood and allowing campfires?
Yes: Climate Change is real and every little bit helps 6 18.18%
No: the Parks need the $$$ and hypocrisy doesn't matter. 1 3.03%
No: We should keep polluting with campfires as I enjoy them and we can be "green" in other areas to make up for it. 1 3.03%
No: Don't believe in Man Made global warming or don't believe campfires and wildfires caused by them make a big impact. 25 75.76%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 03:39 PM

26,538 posts, read 15,111,244 times

Advertisements

Should National Parks and State Parks Ban Campfires?

-Campfires release gases into the atmosphere that contribute to global warming.

-Even worse, 84% of all wildfires were started unintentionally - most as campfires. These wildfires in turn accelerate climate change and climate change accelerates more wildfires.

-Some scientists are advocating burying dead wood rather than burning it (or even letting it rot away), so that the carbon goes into the earth as opposed to the atmosphere.

-Some cities have already discussed banning campfires due to its impact on climate change.

-The national park service and state parks promote being good for the environment yet they sell firewood to campers, which encourages climate change. Isn't this a bit hypocritical to accept money $$$ while working against your mission statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 04:08 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,308,171 times
Golly, this poll is the perfect example of why I don't 'do' polls. I don't like any of those answers. Apparently, if I like making a campfire; I am stupid, don't believe in science, am a hypocrite, want pollution, like/want forest fires, or all of the above.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:12 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,518,556 times
Burning wood is carbon neutral.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:12 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Government "parks" shouldn't even exist...probably because the government shouldn't exist.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:16 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,973,798 times
yes, they should ban campfires and remove the One Reason lots of people pay the fees to go camping.
S'mores, and ghost stories. i predict "virtual" campfires will be for rent/sale at the ranger's office.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:16 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Government "parks" shouldn't even exist...probably because the government shouldn't exist.
Keeping natural land preserved so future generations can be able to experience is bad?

Old 11-30-2018, 04:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,833,500 times
Campfires are clearly a terrible threat to the planet, much like cow farts and plastic straws so yeah, they should totally be banned.

Ban All The Things!!!!

Old 11-30-2018, 04:22 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Campfires are clearly a terrible threat to the planet, much like cow farts and plastic straws so yeah, they should totally be banned.

Ban All The Things!!!!
Doc: “Sarah, you should probably not eat that buttered toast, your cholesterol is high”
Sarah: “OH SO YOU WANT ME TO STARVE? SO I GUESS WE SHOULD BAN ME FROM ACCESSING FOODS HUH?”..

Doc: “no sarah I was just saying to watch your intake..”

Sarah: “WHAT LIBERAL NONESENSE!”

Old 11-30-2018, 04:23 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,049,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

-Even worse, 84% of all wildfires were started unintentionally - most as campfires. These wildfires in turn accelerate climate change and climate change accelerates more wildfires.

-Some scientists are advocating burying dead wood rather than burning it (or even letting it rot away), so that the carbon goes into the earth as opposed to the atmosphere.

-Some cities have already discussed banning campfires due to its impact on climate change.

-The national park service and state parks promote being good for the environment yet they sell firewood to campers, which encourages climate change. Isn't this a bit hypocritical to accept money $$$ while working against your mission statement?
Is this a serious post? 😐

Old 11-30-2018, 04:23 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,989,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

The manufacture, use, and disposal of our phones and laptops contribute WAY more damage to the earth, why not banish all of those? Then we can live in the stone age and rely on just smoke signals and camp fires, I'm sure someone can figure out how to make emojis with smoke signals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies