Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:51 AM

14,026 posts, read 5,672,311 times

Advertisements

The current Carol Danvers as alcoholic, depressed person with powers is more compelling, but already being handled for the MCU with the Jessica Jones series on Netflix.

Still isn't a Muslim, just a drunk with powers, but Hollywood will make sure they check off as many virtue signaling boxes as they can ad if they give her a movie it will be hailed, just like Black Panther, as some cinematic triumph just because they virtue signaled so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 12:27 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,412,067 times
Considering a lot of Muslim women wear veils, Ms. Marvel should be required to a wear a mask. That is, if we are to comply with the logic of adhering to minorities.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,284,447 times
Their money. I don’t care what they spend it on.

I DO KNOW that Black Panther seemingly triggered a lot of right wing Republicans.

After it was highly successful, they went back under the rocks they crawled from under.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,144,707 times
Exactly what difference does it make if she's Muslim, or not? Seriously, folks, it's a frigging COMIC BOOK. The character was introduced in 2014. You folks just now working up your poutrage?

And from the OPs link: "definitely sort of in the works". WTH is definitely sort of?

Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 PM

17,665 posts, read 17,817,121 times
I wish many of you here would have researched the character before responding. First off, this is Ms. Marvel, not Carol Danvers Captain Marvel. Second she is an American teenager of a Muslim family and she tries to find a balance between being an average American teenage girl and Muslim. Her hero worship geekiness and personal life issues are what make it a good series in comics. If done well it could be a good series or movie as long as they follow the similar formula of funny with a touch of drama and personal development. If they become too much a message that Muslims aren’t terrorist or Muslims always face discrimination for being Muslim then it could push away viewers. Movie goers want to be entertained, not have social and political messages constantly hitting them in the face throughout the movie. A light touch here and there in the movie would be enough as long as the story doesn’t revolve around that aspect of her life.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:46 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,337,560 times
I assume people reacted with snide comments when Marvel introduced female and black superheroes decades ago.

As much as people change, some still stay the same.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:02 PM

14,026 posts, read 5,672,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wish many of you here would have researched the character before responding. First off, this is Ms. Marvel, not Carol Danvers Captain Marvel.
Really?

Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers) - Marvel Comics Wiki
Ms. Marvel (Sharon Ventura)
Moonstone (Karla Sofen)
Ms Marvel disambiguation page

Kamala Khan gets powers from some mist and then just takes the name Ms Marvel, since in the Earth 616 timeline Danvers goes from Ms Marvel to Captain Marvel...who used to be a man, blah blah.

But for virtually the entire history of the character, 50 years this past March, Ms. Marvel was Carol Danvers. She didn't go Captain Marvel until 2012...or 44 years into the history of the character?

Using the Kamala Khan version as "Marvel now introduces new character, Ms. Marvel, the teenage Muslim girl!!" as the first coming of the character is virtue signaling at its finest, since they leave off the "after 44 years of Ms. Marvel being Carol Danvers, standard white American girl, we are now proud to present the new and socially approved version of Ms. Marvel..." qualifier that anyone who reads comic books can recognize as Hollywood washing comic book canon through their social justice filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Second she is an American teenager of a Muslim family and she tries to find a balance between being an average American teenage girl and Muslim. Her hero worship geekiness and personal life issues are what make it a good series in comics. If done well it could be a good series or movie as long as they follow the similar formula of funny with a touch of drama and personal development. If they become too much a message that Muslims aren’t terrorist or Muslims always face discrimination for being Muslim then it could push away viewers. Movie goers want to be entertained, not have social and political messages constantly hitting them in the face throughout the movie. A light touch here and there in the movie would be enough as long as the story doesn’t revolve around that aspect of her life.
Watch what happens though. Guarantee her backstory in whatever social justice approved nonsense the movie studio comes out with will dwell on Islamophobia, her being tormented by classmates, seeing anti-Muslim stuff on TV, blah blah. Just wait. It will be standard sermonizing as virtue signaling.

All for the most recent and least enduring version of that character name thus far, given that it rightly belongs to Carol Danvers.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:23 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,144,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I assume people reacted with snide comments when Marvel introduced female and black superheroes decades ago.

As much as people change, some still stay the same.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:20 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,820,913 times
I don't care. If she is a cool character then that will be great. If she sucks then I won't be interested.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,844,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I don't care. If she is a cool character then that will be great. If she sucks then I won't be interested.
Basically this. I don't care what attributes writers choose for a character, I care if it is well written and entertaining or not.

?As if you could select some set of characteristics and that automatically makes it impossible to write an entertaining or engaging character?

Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies