Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:41 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times

Advertisements

Looks like a stupid movie I will be avoiding at all costs.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:27 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
I give movie reviews a skeptical eye based on a few factors. One, some movies are what production companies stake their lives on. If a blockbuster movie they spend a few hundred million dollars on tanks at the box office, it is no laughing matter for them. Take Mad Max, Star Wars Umpteen or... whatever. These were incredibly hyped and got rave reviews and that enticed people to theaters. The audiences were less than awed by them and saw them as good, or pretty good. If these movies got honest reviews, then the box office tallies would be less. Movies have to smash records so they can use that as a selling point. People are like lemmings. They follow the herd. And Hollywood is all about making money, anything else like art or social commentary are a very distant afterthought. Its hard to trust people where money dominates their every thought like that.
So reviews can be fakes, the media can hype the **** out of anything like they do everything else.
This is a Marvel Superhero movie. Most have been good, although the Spider man franchise seems to have really gotten weak And the stand alone Hulk movies... meh. DC... forget it. I don't see what actual social commentary we're going to get. The most I got from the Avengers movies was that you had better keep an eye on the feds because you never know what they're up to and if you can trust them. This movie... I don't know much about. I know the back story about Vibranium being found there as well as in the South Pole's The Savage land from comics from the 1970s. The Black Panther never had the cool villains other heroes had, he was more of an Avengers secondary from what I read. The guy's video made some excellent points, but there's still no point in getting worked up about what is only a movie with nothing beyond entertainment( and making money) as its goal.
They could do a Defenders movie. The Incredible Hulk, Nighthawk, Hellcat, The Submariner, Valkyrie.... that could be fun.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Van Jones needs a good kick in the nuts.
Total drama queen and attention *****.
And has serious mental issues.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:48 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I give movie reviews a skeptical eye based on a few factors. One, some movies are what production companies stake their lives on. If a blockbuster movie they spend a few hundred million dollars on tanks at the box office, it is no laughing matter for them. Take Mad Max, Star Wars Umpteen or... whatever. These were incredibly hyped and got rave reviews and that enticed people to theaters. The audiences were less than awed by them and saw them as good, or pretty good. If these movies got honest reviews, then the box office tallies would be less. Movies have to smash records so they can use that as a selling point. People are like lemmings. They follow the herd. And Hollywood is all about making money, anything else like art or social commentary are a very distant afterthought. Its hard to trust people where money dominates their every thought like that.
So reviews can be fakes, the media can hype the **** out of anything like they do everything else.
This is a Marvel Superhero movie. Most have been good, although the Spider man franchise seems to have really gotten weak And the stand alone Hulk movies... meh. DC... forget it. I don't see what actual social commentary we're going to get. The most I got from the Avengers movies was that you had better keep an eye on the feds because you never know what they're up to and if you can trust them. This movie... I don't know much about. I know the back story about Vibranium being found there as well as in the South Pole's The Savage land from comics from the 1970s. The Black Panther never had the cool villains other heroes had, he was more of an Avengers secondary from what I read. The guy's video made some excellent points, but there's still no point in getting worked up about what is only a movie with nothing beyond entertainment( and making money) as its goal.
They could do a Defenders movie. The Incredible Hulk, Nighthawk, Hellcat, The Submariner, Valkyrie.... that could be fun.
Mad Max was a bad a** flick IMHO. The last Star Wars sucked a**, again IMHO.

I can't stand Super Hero movies with the exception of the last Batman series. The moment I saw the trailer for Black Panther I knew it was going to cause unwarranted controversy. Like others have said, it is just a movie. It wasn't like this movie was made after Trump's comments.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:53 AM

4 posts, read 2,006 times
I would not cross the street to see it if they paid me 50 bucks. But I hate all comic book movies. They are for kids and adults who did not grow up.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:00 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
You call it absurd because you cannot find anything non-factual about the article. Trump's put down? Fact. It was an affront to many Americans? Fact. Flew in the face of American values? Fact. Black Panther being potentially an empowering film for many Americans? Highly likely.

Without anything for you to argue, all you could muster is "absurd".

What's truly absurd is the inability to grasp the that this movie can be a potential game-changer in cinema. I predict it will be a box office smash.

It's a FANTASY movie. This is about as "empowering" as watching men swagger out of the theater after watching a James Bond movie.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Predictable -- I knew the popularity of this movie would bother some folks. And I knew that the fact a fuss was being made about how the author, director and actors being primarily black would get some folks feeling edgy.

It's a celebration of where we have come. It has taken how many years?

So black people feel emotional and sentimental about it -- let them -- what harm does it do to you?

I'm a female and when female directors, actors, authors celebrate their work and make grand statements about women in film and movies I don't get all sentimental but I'm happy it makes somebody feel better.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:09 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Predictable -- I knew the popularity of this movie would bother some folks. And I knew that the fact a fuss was being made about how the author, director and actors being primarily black would get some folks feeling edgy.

It's a celebration of where we have come. It has taken how many years?

So black people feel emotional and sentimental about it -- let them -- what harm does it do to you?

I'm a female and when female directors, actors, authors celebrate their work and make grand statements about women in film and movies I don't get all sentimental but I'm happy it makes somebody feel better.

The "harm" that is caused are the people who are claiming that Africa would have been some advanced technological powerhouse if it weren't for the interference from evil whites. Black schools are taking field trips to watch the movie to put these ideas into their heads.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:11 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,128 times
If the movie can somehow empower poor black kids and their families to take education seriously and work towards technology careers as Van Jones says, then it is a good thing. If it makes black audiences forget for a couple hours the reality of modern day Africa there is no harm either. Everyone needs heroes, even if they exist only in a movie.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "harm" that is caused are the people who are claiming that Africa would have been some advanced technological powerhouse if it weren't for the interference from evil whites. Black schools are taking field trips to watch the movie to put these ideas into their heads.
It's a fantasy movie.

OMG - you aren't a comics fan right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies