Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 09:03 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,020,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Old South. Knights. Gallantry and their ladies fair. A dream remembered. ...

Ah, yes. Those were the good old days.

And hence, the title of the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Funny, I thought this discussion was supposed to be about the MOVIE version. As was the editorial linked in the post I was responding to.
Well, excuse the hell out of me.

I mention the book because some things that are only hinted at in the movie are made explicitly clear there.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:09 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Oh sh*t.

Just checked the theater schedule.

November 2: The Beach Boys.

White Republicans. Mike Love is a diehard.

Game over. Let's see how this one goes down.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:12 AM

34,247 posts, read 18,612,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, excuse the hell out of me.

I mention the book because some things that are only hinted at in the movie are made explicitly clear there.
Your posts have made me want to read the book. I will go to the library today and get it!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:14 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
I'm bewildered that anyone would see this as a story of women's empowerment.

Are we talking about the same movie, the one that starts out with the men going to war, putting everyone's lives in jeopardy, yet the women have no say whatsoever?

Then a series of unfortunate events in which the women do the best they can to deal with matters, but certainly no power to change things.

Throughout the story, -- burning of Atlanta, Sherman's March to the Sea, Reconstruction, you name it, -- women did not have a say in matters. Scarlett goes from man to man in order to establish some sort of financial foothold for her and her family. This is demeaning, not empowering.

How is needlepointing while your husband is off on a KKK raid empowering?

Regardless of why the noble Ashley decided to turn traitor along with the rest of the buffoons at the BBQ, this was definitely not about empowering women.

What attempts she does make at having some power over her life end in disaster with her pleading, "Where will I go? What will I do?" as Rhett walks out on her.

Women's empowerment?

I don't know about that.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,754,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Who cares? I have never seen it and never plan to see it.
Same for me. I've never seen the Gone with the wind, never seen the Mona Lisa, never read Homer, never read Melville, never seen the pyramids, never seen the Sistine Chapel and probably never will. Like you, I have no interest in history, art or culture.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:15 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,934,846 times
Quote:
Old South. Knights. Gallantry and their ladies fair. A dream remembered. ...

Ah, yes. Those were the good old days.
I actually appreciated the link to the trailer, that first scene is almost directly out of my 'visual' memory of the reading the book.

& this part?

Quote:
Here in this pretty world, Gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind."
brought to mind ...

Quote:
Reporter: Mr. Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilization?

Mr. Gandhi: I think it would be a good idea!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:20 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,934,846 times
Quote:
I'm bewildered that anyone would see this as a story of women's empowerment.

Are we talking about the same movie, the one that starts out with the men going to war, putting everyone's lives in jeopardy, yet the women have no say whatsoever?

Then a series of unfortunate events in which the women do the best they can to deal with matters, but certainly no power to change things.

Throughout the story, -- burning of Atlanta, Sherman's March to the Sea, Reconstruction, you name it, -- women did not have a say in matters. Scarlett goes from man to man in order to establish some sort of financial foothold for her and her family. This is demeaning, not empowering.

How is needlepointing while your husband is off on a KKK raid empowering?

Regardless of why the noble Ashley decided to turn traitor along with the rest of the buffoons at the BBQ, this was definitely not about empowering women.

What attempts she does make at having some power over her life end in disaster with her pleading, "Where will I go? What will I do?" as Rhett walks out on her.

Women's empowerment?

I don't know about that.
There's also the mixed feelings & controversy surrounding the scene, referred to as the 'marital rape' scene.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I actually appreciated the link to the trailer, that first scene is almost directly out of my 'visual' memory of the reading the book.

& this part?

brought to mind ...
More "hate speech".

Old 08-27-2017, 09:22 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Your posts have made me want to read the book. I will go to the library today and get it!
I'm not sure how to feel about that. The book is, as I and others have said, well-written. The setting and underpinnings of the story, however, as well as the feelings of the characters who were products of that setting, are disturbingly racist. Like I said earlier...I have a love/hate relationship with it.

All of that aside?

The book is ALWAYS better than the movie. Exceptions are rare. "Shawshank Redemption" comes to mind as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies