Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:54 AM

106 posts, read 75,189 times

Advertisements

It depends on the contents of the leaks and if the leaks are meant to inform the public about government malfeasance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 AM

18,320 posts, read 10,789,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This past week we watched the movie "Snowden" and what he did is up for debate but I see his actions at least as portrayed in the movie as leaking the overall scheme of our Government to spy on us and not specific examples of it.

The leakers need to be caught and tried.

Snowdon is a traitor and should be hung!Trump is the leak in his own WH,Mooch admitted it.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:02 AM

810 posts, read 672,532 times
depends on what's being leaked. Lots coming from those with agendas hellbent on destroying the president. Fire them all

Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,859,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This past week we watched the movie "Snowden" and what he did is up for debate but I see his actions at least as portrayed in the movie as leaking the overall scheme of our Government to spy on us and not specific examples of it.

What is going on in DC now with the leaking of our Presidents communications with other world leaders is criminal.

The thing is the leakers have an agenda to undermine and discredit the sitting President by exposing every questionable thing he does. I wouldn't call these leakers Patriots but they are misguided criminals that should be caught and prosecuted.

The odd thing about Snowden was that he worked in the world of surveillance and he was blown away and moved to action at the extent that the American people were being spied on. The thing is Bush started the program after the events of 9/11 and Obama expanded it but we hear very little about Obama's role in doing that?

The leakers need to be caught and tried.

"I LOVE wikileaks!" - D. J. Trump

It really depends on which foot has the ingrown nail, doesn't it?

If the leaked material is classified, there arises the question, WHY is it classified?

Sometimes it's classified for reasons that just about anybody would agree with. Sometimes it's classified to cover up something that should really be in the public eye.

In regard to the bolded - unless those talks are classified to begin with, no it isn't criminal to leak them. Embarrassing a president is simply not against the law, nor should it be.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM

38,856 posts, read 25,665,266 times
Lightbulb Are "Leakers" villians or heros ?

Sometimes leaks reveal vital info that really needs to be public.

America is currently being separated into partisans and patriots.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 AM

5,313 posts, read 2,373,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The leaking people are villains pure and simple.

They are in positions of trust serving their country and have taken oaths to protect defend and obey. Yet they are releasing private conversations (with which they do not agree) to the press and anyone else that will listen.

I have served under Presidents from President Carter to President Obama and some were good some not so good. But they were always the president; like them, their policies, and appointees or not. They were elected by the people. and deserve the obedience to which I had sworn and in support of the Constitution.

I know there were many ways any government employee could go if a policy or order was against the law, illegal, against policy, etc: (1) resign in protest. Explain reasons why. Then and only then call reporters and publish. write a book. whatever (2) call GAO, Inspector Generals galore, and the other government watch dogs established to investigate. (3) Write a letter to Congresspersons, Senators, or committee chairs. (4) avail self of any whistle blower act appropriate

That is at least 4 legal and right ways to step forward and put the word out. But if you were to do any of them, a complaint would have to be based upon statutory errors and facts not opinion or disagreement.

That is the second problem with these villains. Not only are they not taking advantage of legal and straight to the source ways to bring problems to solution but they are releasing information that in their opinion is wrong, bad, etc or because their favored candidate did not win.

Who made them King to decide to release this? Who says they know a hill of beans what they are talking about? Who says they are in a position to know something else going on that may dovetail? And let's face it politics is like making sausage, it is ugly to watch. And Presidents, Prime Ministers often talk off the record and make under the table agreements that support the larger agenda. That did not just start today or with this administration.

And to record and release these conversations is a detriment to the current administration's ability to work with anyone but future administrations as well. It is a bell that can't be unrung and is bad for us all.
I don't even know where to begin here...but the most fundamental mistake is what I bolded above. I could not disagree more.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:37 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,297,198 times
Villains.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:40 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,402,323 times
Default Are "Leakers" villians or heros ?

They are breaking the law and are making things worst. You don't see any other country doing this, it's embarrassing.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 AM

13,299 posts, read 7,909,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Sometimes it's the right thing to do. Sometimes it's the wrong way to go about it.
These girls went about it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lff8C6CBs74

Old 08-05-2017, 10:56 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,645,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Well...is a bit complicated:

We fought a revolution..nothing really 'behind your back' about that--in fact, via the Declaration of Independence, the colonists directly informed England of the split.

I think that there is no real way to know the motives of those who leak...some do it for petty revenge..some do it for high principle..some do it for personal advantage...some do it to advance a cause.
As for seedier side...govt. did not just become dirty..been that way since tribal days.

They are criminals..by definition..some of them may also be patriots..one can be both.

I would also point out that leakers seem to take the less ethical path in leaking. I would have a lot more respect for the people who quit their job..and go public with why. Let their voice be heard and damn the consequences. Sneaking in an interview with a hungry reporter seems a bit cowardly, to me.

Of course, I'm in favor of the public knowing the truth..but what that truth really is..can be murky..at best. In this game of leaking, the media..and the public..are reduced to being constantly 'spun' by all sides--to the point of overkill---and one must wonder if that is not the point?
Quote:
I would have a lot more respect for the people who quit their job..and go public with why.
No one likes a tattle tale and they will never find another job ... if a person can not be trusted with a secret, what good are they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies