Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How has immigration affected your community?
Immigration has improved my community a lot/give me more 44 32.35%
It's been good but I wouldn't want more 5 3.68%
It's been somewhat bad and I'd like to see less 14 10.29%
Immigration has made my community worse/wish it was totally gone 50 36.76%
Haven't noticed a difference or no opinion 23 16.91%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:02 AM

30,565 posts, read 23,982,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I'm going to put this in the OP (edit: guess I can't go back and do that). I am not specifying illegal or legal because I want to know about the general immigration experience. Whether a Hispanic family that comes to your town is legal or illegal, high skill or low skill, from Mexico or Argentina, the fact that he and his family are immigrants period may make a difference to your community. You probably won't be able to tell in every case that someone is legal or illegal... that's why I am not asking about your MORAL position. Even people who MORALLY disagree with illegal immigration might say, "Immigration made my town better" (because he can't tell who's legal or not).

If your experience is heavily skewed towards legal or illegal bc one affects you more, then vote according to your actual experience and tell us more about it in the comments.
It has nothing to do with my MORAL position. It has to do with the fact that one causes a LOT of problems to the legal citizens of this country while the other does not. So again, until you acknowledge that there is a BIG difference between an illegal immigrant and a legal immigrant, this entire discussion is pointless. You can't ignore reality just because it makes you uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 AM

1,233 posts, read 737,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
My community is suffering from both immigration and migration that has made the quality of life come down.

First, the biggest issue is, the migration of New Yorkers. Now, my family were New York immigrants, but they came down to become a Floridian, and live the Floridian lifestyle. These past 25 years now, New Yorkers have moved down here, mostly from NYC, and with it they drove up the cost of inflation, and got into government where the taxes and laws are going through the roof. Most of our laws were created and implemented by New Yorkers. And it's sad, but just last year, so many NY have moved down to Florida, that Florida is now the third most populated state behind California and Texas.

Another group of immigrants I have noticed are ruining my community are Canadian business men. They came down here maybe 10 years ago, and started to buy large tracks of land, and then would pay politicians to implement eminent domain to get other tracks of desirable landscape. You all should read about the Minto West, Loxahatchee Florida scandal. This land deal is pretty much going to change the landscape and way of life for millions of people. We are trying to fight it, but when we have commissioners that are corrupt, what can one do?

Only way immigrants have somewhat impacted me, I would say there is a huge immigration here that is driving their cars without insurance, and it drives my car insurance up. It's the only complaint. Other than that, I just haven't had an issue with immigration South of the border. Yeah, some will get WIC, but I see far more Americans getting welfare, while the immigrants coming over are truly trying to strive for the American dream of a career and owning a home. My boyfriend is Haitian. He, and his large family came here with nothing. The parents worked their butt off, and now he's working while getting a master degree in computer doctorates. All of the children and grandchildren are working, going to school and buying homes to pass down the line. I have my own cousins who are white, who just work pos jobs, come home to a trailer and just play video games instead of making their lives better.

And one last thing about immigrants. I don't know if it's just the times or what, but it seems to me back in the 80's and 90's, when you lived in a street, you have a real community. Your neighbors were an extension of your family. Now, I don't know my neighbors. No one comes out of the house and have BBQ's, the kids don't become friends. Are the cultures so different from eachother that no one can find something to bond with?

All sounds good.

People from Northern climates go South to retire. Florida happens to be popular because it has no state income tax and because of it's relative ease to shores.

I'm not sure what a Master's in doctorate of computers is. Is he getting a Master's Degree or a Doctorate Degree?

The United States has and will always be a global community. It's what we are.

If you're concerned about no knowing your neighbors and having a sort of comrade with them; why not initiate something on your own. Outsiders who come in sometimes don't like to make waves.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:26 AM

1,233 posts, read 737,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It has nothing to do with my MORAL position.[i] It has to do with the fact that one causes a LOT of problems to the legal citizens of this country while the other does not. So again, until you acknowledge that there is a BIG difference between an illegal immigrant and a legal immigrant, this entire discussion is pointless. You can't ignore reality just because it makes you uncomfortable.
Do you have any statistics to back up your premise? Your forefathers were likely immigrants. At some point in time they became legal. See how that works? The only true native peoples of this country are the American Indians. If you are NOT then your position is that of a Moral dilemma rather than a rational one.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:33 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,750,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
My community is suffering from both immigration and migration that has made the quality of life come down.

First, the biggest issue is, the migration of New Yorkers. Now, my family were New York immigrants, but they came down to become a Floridian, and live the Floridian lifestyle. These past 25 years now, New Yorkers have moved down here, mostly from NYC, and with it they drove up the cost of inflation, and got into government where the taxes and laws are going through the roof. Most of our laws were created and implemented by New Yorkers. And it's sad, but just last year, so many NY have moved down to Florida, that Florida is now the third most populated state behind California and Texas.

Another group of immigrants I have noticed are ruining my community are Canadian business men. They came down here maybe 10 years ago, and started to buy large tracks of land, and then would pay politicians to implement eminent domain to get other tracks of desirable landscape. You all should read about the Minto West, Loxahatchee Florida scandal. This land deal is pretty much going to change the landscape and way of life for millions of people. We are trying to fight it, but when we have commissioners that are corrupt, what can one do?

Only way immigrants have somewhat impacted me, I would say there is a huge immigration here that is driving their cars without insurance, and it drives my car insurance up. It's the only complaint. Other than that, I just haven't had an issue with immigration South of the border. Yeah, some will get WIC, but I see far more Americans getting welfare, while the immigrants coming over are truly trying to strive for the American dream of a career and owning a home. My boyfriend is Haitian. He, and his large family came here with nothing. The parents worked their butt off, and now he's working while getting a master degree in computer doctorates. All of the children and grandchildren are working, going to school and buying homes to pass down the line. I have my own cousins who are white, who just work pos jobs, come home to a trailer and just play video games instead of making their lives better.

And one last thing about immigrants. I don't know if it's just the times or what, but it seems to me back in the 80's and 90's, when you lived in a street, you have a real community. Your neighbors were an extension of your family. Now, I don't know my neighbors. No one comes out of the house and have BBQ's, the kids don't become friends. Are the cultures so different from eachother that no one can find something to bond with?
Interesting take. All the villains in this story seem to be US citizens that have relocated (New Yorkers), white foreign citizens (Canadian Businessmen), white "cousins" that spend their time playing video games in trailer parks and local politicians (bribed for imminent domain) and a "huge immigrant" who drives around without insurance. LOL

Old 08-07-2017, 01:14 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,628,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
Do you have any statistics to back up your premise? Your forefathers were likely immigrants. At some point in time they became legal. See how that works? The only true native peoples of this country are the American Indians. If you are NOT then your position is that of a Moral dilemma rather than a rational one.
You are being pretty condescending for someone who appears to have some issues with terminology. Many immigrants are legal from day one. What they become later is citizens.

As for why the OP didn't make a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, I'm willing to accept the reason she has offered: she wants an overall impression of people's experiences related to immigration in general, and you cannot tell by looking at someone whether they are here legally or not. For all that matter, now that I think about it, you can't tell by looking whether someone is an immigrant at all or not. Many "foreign-looking" people were, in fact, born here.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You are being pretty condescending for someone who appears to have some issues with terminology. Many immigrants are legal from day one. What they become later is citizens.

As for why the OP didn't make a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, I'm willing to accept the reason she has offered: she wants an overall impression of people's experiences related to immigration in general, and you cannot tell by looking at someone whether they are here legally or not. For all that matter, now that I think about it, you can't tell by looking whether someone is an immigrant at all or not. Many "foreign-looking" people were, in fact, born here.
That is going to make hunting them down and persecuting them much trickier!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:52 AM

30,948 posts, read 37,161,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I dont think one person would say mass immigration improves social cohesion or makes a community stronger. Its just a "mosaic" of cultures that dont integrate with other cultures? Every culture we import is very xenophobic towards other cultures and races. lol

I doubt any culture or race immigrating here wants "multiculturalism", the "melting pot", and mass immigration in their home country.
^^This starts getting at the real issue.

I think it's very myopic to talk only about how immigration has affected you directly while ignoring the larger picture--which is much more important. Many of the effects of things like immigration aren't first hand effects, but that doesn't mean you're not affected by them.

Here is the real agenda for mass immigration in both Europe and North America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuh43DzHxdA

Old 08-07-2017, 02:26 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,628,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
^^This starts getting at the real issue.

I think it's very myopic to talk only about how immigration has affected you directly while ignoring the larger picture--which is much more important. Many of the effects of things like immigration aren't first hand effects, but that doesn't mean you're not affected by them.

Here is the real agenda for mass immigration in both Europe and North America:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuh43DzHxdA
There are lots and lots of threads about the larger picture. This one is about personal experience. Is there really a problem with people discussing both?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:37 AM

30,948 posts, read 37,161,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
There are lots and lots of threads about the larger picture. This one is about personal experience. Is there really a problem with people discussing both?
I see your point. But with an issue like this, I don't think it's very useful. It seems to me people like to talk about their personal experiences and then overgeneralize them as absolute truths. That's rampant on CD. (i.e. Immigrants ruined my neighborhood so it's bad; or conversely...immigrants haven't hurt me personally, so it's all good). Maybe I'm just a big picture person.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:50 AM

WAS this "planned destruction" also underway when Europeans migrated to Australia and the Americas? When they brought slaves to the Americas? When they emigrated to escape tyranny and authoritarianism? When Drumpf's grandpappy came to the USA? And every time a biracial couple has a baby, is that a conspiracy afoot? When the neanderthals bred with homo sapiens?

https://www.nature.com/news/modern-h...erthal-1.14615

Oh, the horror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies