Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 07:23 AM

613 posts, read 465,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The North Miami system is ran by black people, the mayor and police chief.

The majority of the places where black people are being shot by police are ran by Democrats and in many cases black people.

I'm beginning to think it's a cultural problem with liberals wanting totalitarian governmental control over everyone.
I don't think it's a political problem at all. I think the issue is you have cops patrolling neighborhoods they don't live in, so any black person they see, they're fearful of.

I'm glad Kensey is recovering well and there's video evidence of this Injustice (not that that will do anything but still).

Old 07-22-2016, 07:25 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,780,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Terrible situation, I would have to guess negligent discharge. Those officers shouldn't have been working if that went down the way it says, they may not have been in the state of mind to do their job correctly. The one that shot him is likely screwed and rightly so if he was negligent. Glad the guy was only injured, he seems like a real solid and reasonable guy.
I thought maybe negligent discharge at first... but you can't negligent discharge three rounds. (Unless multiple officers fired?)
As I have asked before... what call did these officers go on immediately before this one and how long was their shift?
If they were working 12 hour shifts (lots of departments are now) and they did a traumatic call before this one and were not pulled off shift, then their leadership needs to be held responsible for a negligent discharge or similar serious error too.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Plus most police officers are republican.
Having worked with a police department in a major metro area, they aren't.
They are overwhelmingly democrat (even if often more conservative democrats). You forgot that they are public sector workers and generally unionized. As much as republicans might like police, they are just as in favor of cutting their salaries as any other public sector worker.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:33 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,120,647 times
Let me guess. The cop's gun was a Glock 9 mil with the stock 5 lb. trigger. Have the cops go back to DA revolvers or even DAO (not striker fired) semi-autos and there'll be a lot less of these shootings. Twitchy cops + light triggers = bad shootings.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:35 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,250,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Let me guess. The cop's gun was a Glock 9 mil with the stock 5 lb. trigger. Have the cops go back to DA revolvers or even DAO (not striker fired) semi-autos and there'll be a lot less of these shootings. Twitchy cops + light triggers = bad shootings.
The reports, and video, show it was an ar-15 type rifle.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,120,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
The reports, and video, show it was an ar-15 type rifle.
That surprises me. I would think that those types of weapons would be reserved for SWAT teams and anti-terrorist outfits.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:50 AM

5,079 posts, read 2,292,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Having worked with a police department in a major metro area, they aren't.
They are overwhelmingly democrat (even if often more conservative democrats). You forgot that they are public sector workers and generally unionized. As much as republicans might like police, they are just as in favor of cutting their salaries as any other public sector worker.
I don't know that cops can have automatics, but if they can, and he had his set for a three-round burst, then you can shoot three rounds when you pull the trigger once.

I personally don't think the cops should get to have anything we can't have. They're civilians.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
There are too many police that should not be police. These incidents only fan the flame. What needs to happen is accountability, but the legal system does NOT hold guilty police accountable. There will be an extended "investigation", and after the news dies down- the officer will be re-instated or let go. He will NOT go to jail, that is for sure. If he loses his job, another police dept will hire him- they just move the bad apples around (like the Catholic Priests molesting children). The main priority is to NEVER admit they were wrong.
You are right, but there are two things going on here.
First, nearly all crimes require criminal intent. And that criminal intent has to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
What was the officer's criminal intent here? Why did he commit this crime?
Once you figure that out, how do you prove that criminal intent?
You would like to think that that what the officer did was a crime, but even if a normal citizen had done this, it would be difficult to convict them of anything other than unlawful use of a weapon. (Why? Because unlawful use of a weapon does not always require mens rea.)
(Also, the extensive investigation is because of the due process requirements. A public sector job is considered property of the employee, and so that employee has similar rights to continued employment as a property owner does in eminent domain proceedings. Not identical, but similar; see the Loudermill case. This is a constitutional issue, and is never going to be changed without a constitutional amendment.)

On to the second issue, the officer getting fired but getting a job elsewhere. I still insist the key to all of this is that we do not pay cops enough and keep them on the force too long. Cops need to be paid dramatically more and retire after 20 years. The short retirement will open up leadership positions quicker for better promotional opportunities (the vast majority of cops are never promoted in their entire career), as well as avoiding the embittered personality changes that happens from working police work for too long. Higher pay plus better promotional opportunities = better applicants. Major metro departments basically hire everyone that is not otherwise disqualified; they have more openings than they do applicants. This puts the pressure on "screening" to prevent hiring bad cops. If, instead, we had 100+ applicants per open position, the "bad cop" problem would go away overnight. Someoned fire by another department would be unhireable, not because of screening but because there would always be someone else more qualified for the open position.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 AM

13,399 posts, read 7,407,148 times
From only the video evidence this looks to be total incompetence I doubt it was racial the officer who fired was Hispanic. The problem is once a bad officer makes it past his probation it's not that easy to get rid of a bad officer. He can follow all the rules but under stressful situation they can make poor decisions. Also Police officers are not drawing from the most intelligence of the population usually it's the bottom half who joins the force. Pay is usually 40-50k a year while that might seem like a lot to some in this world it really isn't enough to live stress free in. The officers who have poor performance reviews don't get moved up they stay on the street those are the ones who end up in these situations. I'm sure there are mostly good officers who do a good job but it only takes 1 to make the whole bunch look bad.

This is one reason I think police should be armed with revolvers and pump shot guns gives them little more time and effort to pull the trigger. High Capacity glocks are far too easy to tap the trigger once the bullet leaves the gun can't get it back. In the video I see one armed with an AR-15 semi auto rifle not sure what the reason was to deploy such a heavy weapon.

http://www.local10.com/news/exculsiv...miami-shooting << City has already asked to settle the case with the victim's attorney >>

Last edited by kell490; 07-22-2016 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I don't know that cops can have automatics, but if they can, and he had his set for a three-round burst, then you can shoot three rounds when you pull the trigger once.

I personally don't think the cops should get to have anything we can't have. They're civilians.
Yeah, I was thinking about the possibility of a rifle on selective-fire.
Police can carry selective-fire rifles, if purchased by their department and they undergo a lot of training.
(There are very narrow paths under which civilians can own selective-fire rifles too, incidentally.)

Very few do, because selective-fire rifles are totally inappropriate for nearly all police work.
(The only ones that do are pretty much swat officers in huge departments, and the rifles are only issued out for special situations rather than being normally carried in vehicles.)

I haven't see the video yet, how rapid are the shots. Three round bursts from selective fire have a pretty distinct sound to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.